making money of shuttle disaster

Rally1

Platinum Member
May 20, 2001
I hope I am in the majority in thinking that after a situation like this you should not be trying to make money off the suffering of others.

We have all heard the reports of people selling off supposed pieces of the shuttle that fell to earth. But what do you think of an eBay auction like this: selling tiles

My opion, but I don't think that is in good taste, but i'd like to hear from people who disagree.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
It's kind of in poor taste, but at least they aren't selling pieces of the wreckage.

boi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2002
I thought those tiles were expensive? On the discovery channel, it said that each tile costs over $10,000!!:Q

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
I don't see why those tiles aren't mass produced... They'd be awesome put to use in industry... where you have 500 degree pipes 1 inch from 0 degree pipes...

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
Its not a piece of debris or anything. Its a tile that was made and maybe replaced or whatever. Not as bad as people selling pieces of the shttle. I mean hell, the auction started before the crash.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: boi
I thought those tiles were expensive? On the discovery channel, it said that each tile costs over $10,000!!:Q

That would make the cost of tiles alone on each shuttle over $200 million.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I agree with you, however
Didn't the accident occur some hours after this auction was listed?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: illusion88
Its not a piece of debris or anything. Its a tile that was made and maybe replaced or whatever. Not as bad as people selling pieces of the shttle. I mean hell, the auction started before the crash.

And they could pull the auction if they so wished. You would think ebay would impose a moratorium for at least a little while.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999
Exactly. There is no reason to condemn this auction.

However, according to the news (I haven't taken the time to look) there are already auctions for pieces of debris from the crash. That is shameful and in extremely poor taste.

BigFatCow

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Originally posted by: zippy

However, according to the news (I haven't taken the time to look) there are already auctions for pieces of debris from the crash. That is shameful and in extremely poor taste.

i think its illegal too...

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002

I see nothing wrong with that.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: ScottyB
Originally posted by: illusion88 Its not a piece of debris or anything. Its a tile that was made and maybe replaced or whatever. Not as bad as people selling pieces of the shttle. I mean hell, the auction started before the crash.
Exactly. There is no reason to condemn this auction. However, according to the news (I haven't taken the time to look) there are already auctions for pieces of debris from the crash. That is shameful and in extremely poor taste.

Aside from the morality issue which could vary from person to person, the fact that the shuttle is federal property should be reason enough to see something wrong with that.

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by: ScottyB

Even if you ignore the tragedy vulturing, it's evidence, for one thing.

And there's the potential health risk due to exposure to volatile chemicals carried by the shuttle, which is why people have been warned to avoid anything they consider to be possible shuttle debris.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
like others have said, he is not making money off of the shuttle disaster. the auction started b4 the crash

InverseOfNeo

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2000
Originally posted by: BigFatCow
Originally posted by: illusion88 Its not a piece of debris or anything. Its a tile that was made and maybe replaced or whatever. Not as bad as people selling pieces of the shttle. I mean hell, the auction started before the crash.
Exactly. There is no reason to condemn this auction. However, according to the news (I haven't taken the time to look) there are already auctions for pieces of debris from the crash. That is shameful and in extremely poor taste.
i think its illegal too...

It is illegal.....the shuttle is federal property and taking a piece of the wreckage and selling it would be federal offences under theft and selling/distribution of stolen goods.

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
with a winning bidder named "ShuttleManTX" the seller will get a tuff time collecting $. the auction is legit, chances are the tile cost more that $500 to acquire/make especially considering government contractors.

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
as for the rake,
rolleye.gif

well it is his rake and he cant use it anymore, but still. now if he has entire lot of damaged rakes...

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
It's amazing how many people see "certificate of authenticty" on ebay and automaticly assume it's a legit item. There's lots of places that will issue a COA for anything you want for the right price. Look at some of the auctions for golf balls signed by Tiger Woods. Most include COA's. Except Tiger Woods won't sign a golf ball...

DanFungus

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Rally1
I hope I am in the majority in thinking that after a situation like this you should not be trying to make money off the suffering of others.

We have all heard the reports of people selling off supposed pieces of the shuttle that fell to earth. But what do you think of an eBay auction like this: selling tiles

My opion, but I don't think that is in good taste, but i'd like to hear from people who disagree.

I don't see it any different than people buying stock in the stock market right after the stocks fell just after 9/11/2001....
Same dealio...

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
they shouldn't sell pieces of the wreckage, but i don't see any problem with selling other space related stuff