Making money of Second Life

AnthroAndStargate

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2005
So I read this article about how this guy invested money (and I mean A LOT of money - like 10k multiple times) into Second Life because he saw it as an investment.

He was basically complaining that while he did make some profit it was not very high for the risk.

How do people even 'make money' on Second Life? I have never played it so I am curious to see if this is actually possible. I know that you can convert between the second life currency and USD - but why/how/and who?

Explain if you know please!

Jinru

Feb 6, 2006
lmao, my friend tried to get me into this game awhile back. If I remember correctly the money you make in the game can be transfered to real USD dollars. It's not as simple as it sounds though, there are a lot fees you'll have to put up with if you want to make your own business in game and the time spent playing isn't worth it, IMO.

Bootprint

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: BriGy86
where do you even buy this game?

you download the client software from Linden Labs, giving them your credit card information. You can wander around for free, but if you really want to do something you need to pay a month fee.

Mar 22, 2002
No, I haven't played Second Life, but I've played an MMORPG that is a real money economy game. Second Life is not so much a game, but Entropia Universe (the game I play) is. The graphics aren't top notch, but you definitely have the ability to profit. I've exported about $1700. A lot of the entertainment is the people you get involved with, the amount of money/patience/time you put in, etc. For those of you wondering, here's the site.

AnthroAndStargate

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2005
Originally posted by: SociallyChallenged
No, I haven't played Second Life, but I've played an MMORPG that is a real money economy game. Second Life is not so much a game, but Entropia Universe (the game I play) is. The graphics aren't top notch, but you definitely have the ability to profit. I've exported about $1700. A lot of the entertainment is the people you get involved with, the amount of money/patience/time you put in, etc. For those of you wondering, here's the site.

It seems like you have to put money into this game to do things... like USD.

How much do you put in versus how much do you get out? And is it actually fun?

Mar 22, 2002
Originally posted by: AnthroAndStargate
Originally posted by: SociallyChallenged

It seems like you have to put money into this game to do things... like USD.

How much do you put in versus how much do you get out? And is it actually fun?

I actually put $0 in, when I got this money out. It takes a lot of time if you do it that way, and doing it that way makes it less fun, but it can be done. If you put a little bit of money in, it's way better, but you're gonna have to figure out a way to stay above / make up for losses, etc.