Making computers available over the internet (Remote Desktop)

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
We have 12 computers (VMs) that are used for training. They are configured with the software to be trained on and are set up just the way we want them. We are looking for a way that we can make these computers available to the internet so that someone can Remote into the VMs to go through some training courses. We do need to be able to control who can get onto these machines so we don't have random people logging into them. We handle training through a GotoTraining type system and would provide a link to each of the attendees.

Does anyone know if a way to do this?

It could be as simple as a list of 12 links that we tell each person to click a link. It could be as fancy as having the person click the link and having them put into any machine that doesn't already have someone in it.

This could involve installing some sort of 3rd party software on the machine to facilitate everything or could be done through Microsoft RDS or something similar.

Does anyone know of something we can use to do this? Really looking for any and all options so we can figure out if and how we can do this.

Please don't suggest alternative ways to connect to things like Logmein, Webex, etc as they've been ruled out. We have specific requirements that I've listed above and am just looking to know if there's a way to do it or not.

Moved from OT.

Anandtech Administrator
KeithTalent

Last edited by a moderator:

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
We have 12 computers (VMs) that are used for training. They are configured with the software to be trained on and are set up just the way we want them. We are looking for a way that we can make these computers available to the internet so that someone can Remote into the VMs to go through some training courses. We do need to be able to control who can get onto these machines so we don't have random people logging into them. We handle training through a GotoTraining type system and would provide a link to each of the attendees.

Does anyone know if a way to do this?

It could be as simple as a list of 12 links that we tell each person to click a link. It could be as fancy as having the person click the link and having them put into any machine that doesn't already have someone in it.

This could involve installing some sort of 3rd party software on the machine to facilitate everything or could be done through Microsoft RDS or something similar.

Does anyone know of something we can use to do this? Really looking for any and all options so we can figure out if and how we can do this.

Please don't suggest alternative ways to connect to things like Logmein, Webex, etc as they've been ruled out. We have specific requirements that I've listed above and am just looking to know if there's a way to do it or not.

Moved from OT.

Anandtech Administrator
KeithTalent

It's pretty simple and straightforward.

You would open port 3389 and enable remote desktop on each machine. You have have a user/pass account that permits only certain people from being able to login.

Problem is you opened a huge security vulnerability.

Usually most companies use some sort of VPN solution where you are authenticated into the network via some key and password (something you know + something you have). Once authenticated then you can remote it.

But if these are lab computers and there is nothing important on them and it those computers are physically segregated from the rest of the network it should be OK.

Years back when I started my first IT job I remember the Network people there didn't really give a shit and I simply enabled remote desktop on my work computer. I would hit my remote computer from home and do work there.

I could even send WAKE packets to the NIC and power it up remotely LOL

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
The main thing is we're trying to find a way that the people doing the remoting in don't have to manually run MSTSC, enter IP addresses, etc as the people might not be well versed in anything relating to computers. Also, since they are not employees, we can' utilize VPN since they wouldn't have that on their personal machines.

But yes, these are Lab computers and will be segregated away from everything else on the network.

Imaging you need to train someone on some software but they don't have the software. You have a VM setup that has all the software they need. I just need a EASY way to get that user to connect to the VM so they can go through the training. Hopefully by saying "Go to training.company.com and click Computer1" or something like that.

I know this isn't a Normal request and that's why we're having trouble coming up with a pretty way to make this work. :)

Thanks.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
The main thing is we're trying to find a way that the people doing the remoting in don't have to manually run MSTSC, enter IP addresses, etc as the people might not be well versed in anything relating to computers. Also, since they are not employees, we can' utilize VPN since they wouldn't have that on their personal machines.

But yes, these are Lab computers and will be segregated away from everything else on the network.

Imaging you need to train someone on some software but they don't have the software. You have a VM setup that has all the software they need. I just need a EASY way to get that user to connect to the VM so they can go through the training. Hopefully by saying "Go to training.company.com and click Computer1" or something like that.

I know this isn't a Normal request and that's why we're having trouble coming up with a pretty way to make this work. :)

Thanks.

Oh,

I see you're dealing with dumbasses.

So you give them a Remote Desktop Link via email that they put on their desktop. They double click and enter user/pass.

Only other thing I"m thinking is VNC and Teamviewer. I don't know if VNC works over the internet. I know Teamviewer is a little simpler to use but it's not free.

But I really don't have much patience for dumbassery in 2015. In today's world of IT everyone needs to have the basic fundamentals down....

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
The other thing is the 12 VMs that we have are pretty much unattended and would get remoted into by different users all the time for each training class. So something where we have to go to each VM and generate a link and a code or something like that wouldn't work very well.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
The other thing is the 12 VMs that we have are pretty much unattended and would get remoted into by different users all the time for each training class. So something where we have to go to each VM and generate a link and a code or something like that wouldn't work very well.

The IP of each machine is not going to change right? I'm talking about creating a RDC shortcut you can give them to put on their desktop and instructions for instillation.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Other thing I remember is you can configure Remote Desktop to work via the Web. So they would go to a URL and hit the machine that way.

I've never done this, but I know each of the machine may need IIS installed. Also you might be able to have one common URL with different ports etc... to go to each machine...

Feb 25, 2011
I'd try using Logmein or Teamviewer for this. No VPN or network security configurations needed. Fairly idiot-proof from the client side.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Is there a way to use those programs on an unattended machine and somehow do the whole code generation thing? THe other part is that if someone is in training today, someone else will be in training tomorrow and we don't want the past people to still have access to the machines.

Only way I could think of to get that to work is to have the trainer have to log into each of the 12 VMs and generate remote codes and hand them out which would be a pain to manage.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Use RD Gateway and RD Web to do this. You don't want to just forward 3389 directly to the computers--it's insecure. Additionally, RD Gateway provides the benefit of only having to forward one IP and one port.

With RD Web, users would hit a web page, enter a username and password, and be presented with links to each of the 12 training computers.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Yeah. That's what I'm trying to figure out how to setup now. I thought that looked like it might do what I wanted. Just having trouble getting through the 100 steps to make it work. :)

If you've actually done this before and have any tips, tutorials, or anything else, I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

cruzinforit

Mar 16, 2013
Teamviewer would probably work here, it's not ideal but it's at least nearly idiot-proof. Otherwise, I'd see about setting up an openvpn setup, and integrate into Active Directory (if you are using AD), and create an RDP link on their desktop once they are connected. Under no circumstances would I ever forward the RDP port. If anything, that is one I'd make sure is closed externally. At some point you cannot sacrifice security for the sake of pandering to the illiterate.

Otherwise, you are looking at expensive webvpn solutions from the likes of Juniper or Cisco.

Edit: Or what drebo suggested, that works too.