Making an existing Win7 install legit. How to?

Compman55

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2010
A friend of mine installed W7 x64 ultimate RTM and used a loader type thing to make it appear genuine. He has the loader on a thumb drive so I can reverse the changes it made. Now onto what he needs to purchase, OEM version or Retail? Or just a key from microsoft?

To school he is joining does not permit hacked versions, and there is already a lot of legit software installed that would be impossible / royal pain to reinstall on a new OS. The win 7 install is the only non legit software in which he will not be permitted to use it until this is resolved.

I am not familiar with how to do this correctly and legit without completely reinstalling.

Sheep221

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2012
OEM is license bound to computer on which it was registered, retail is transferable, if you get any of those, you must get the edition you already have installed

than go to microsoft website and search for windows activation technologies, if it's illegal the site will tell you and offer option on how to legalize your installation

if you however want to buy a box and cd key sticker, you will add the key under my computer>properties>and on the bottom of the window you click to change product key and there you add the new one and activate it

Just out of curiosity, How your school knows you have counterfeit or registered windows installation? In that case I really wouldn't care what are their software policies, you still can come there with pencil and paper if you wish.

Compman55

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2010
I think he turns his laptop in so the work that he did gets graded. I think they found out it was not legit.

netarangi

Sep 2, 2012
Unless it's the schools laptop, they really have no business knowing wether or not it's genuine or not..

MadScientist

Platinum Member
Jul 15, 2001
[instructions on how to steal Windows removed]

Allow me to make this very clear: that is still stealing windows
-ViRGE

Gomennasai. I bit too explicit for anandtech.

Last edited:

Compman55

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2010
Again, its loaded with properly working software that would be almost impossible to do over. It has 2 full yrs of install and still is flawless. So I want to stick with how to fix the windows 7 install cause that is what he wants.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Install Win 8 with Start8 or Classic Shell.

Seriously it is windows 7 at that point only faster

Besides you do keep EVERYTHING when you upgrade. All the drivers, apps, documents, music, videos etc etc etc

I booted right up as if nothing changed at all.

Let me put it this way...you need to buy windows and Windows 8 is the cheapest way to go at $40.

MadScientist

Platinum Member
Jul 15, 2001
I'm not sure an OEM key will work with a cracked Win 7. He would probably have to purchase the full retail version (expensive), and there is no guarantee that even that will work.
You would first have to remove the loader. The Daz loader has an uninstall tab that will uninstall most loaders. Google it to find out where to download.

A cracked Win 7 may also not have an option under Computer-Properties to change the key, as suggested by Sheep221. You may have to change it from DOS. Here's how: http://www.sizzledcore.com/2009/10/26/how-to-change-windows-7-product-key/

Again, the best and cheapest way to go is to upgrade to Win 8.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Buy a copy of Windows 7 (OEM or retail, doesn't matter), uninstall the loader, and then change out the key for your legitimate key. That is the only way you can get legitimate with Windows 7.

Compman55

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2010
Ok I will do it the way shown on the link for in dos mode. I did not see a change key option under properties as this is an OEM RTM version.