Making a copy of Age Of Empires 2...

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
My cousin just sold me his copy of AOE 2 and it is scratched up pretty bad. What is the best way to both try to fix the scratches, and then make a working copy of the game to play off of? I'm using Nero 5.0.0.9. Are there any specific settings I need?

One other thing... My cousin is from Athens, and don't know if the copy he has is a Eurpoean version, or a US copy he bought when he was here last year. How can I tell which version it is?

Lorax

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2000
in my experience, copying cds with scratches turn up coasters.

i would think the only option is to get one of those disk doctor scratch kits and fix it.. but those are expensive.

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Locutus

Shut the hell up! I am no fu©king pirate! I cannot prove or disprove anything about wanting to copy a game I legally own to you.

Do you not have anything better to do then post worthless sh!t in other peoples threads?

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
One of my daughter's French cds was badly scratched, and would not copy all the setup files. I tried using some Brasso, with no effect. For the heck of it, I made a copy and it worked! That is the extent of my experience with that approach. But no harm in trying.

LouisXIX

Oct 9, 1999
Using nero5 will be your best bet. Its the settings u use that r important - using the 'cd copy' option in the new compilation menu, there should be a tab which lets u set certain parameters which come into effect when reading the master copy. Set the # of read retries when error found to 10 (max), and when an error is found, select 'write uncorrected', not 'try to correct'. This should work if the scratches havent affected anything essential. From what I know of making AoK backups, copy protection is non-existant.

Check out http://www.gamecopyworld.com

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Well, you could always copy the cd to a temp directory on your hard drive. 99 times out of a hundred, I can then burn a good copy of a scratched up game, app or an old music cd.

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Thanks for the help guys, but I think the cd is too scratched up. When I try to make the CD-Copy, Nero will hang when it gets to about 2mb of the cd being coppied.

Millenium

I cant do that with this cd because there are 2 tracks. One is a 320mb data track and the other is a 305mb audio track

[edit]Is AOE2 a bin game yet? Maybe I can pick another copy up cheap[/edit]

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
try making an image on the hard drive and burning from there. If your cd can't even read the data to the hd, you may be out of luck.

If that doesn't work, you can try some of the "anti-scratch" cd repair kits I've seen in stores like fry's. Compusa must have them too.

Doodoo

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2000
Who cares if hes pirating the software or not. Thats his own business. Like no one here has copied a game or dled mp3's before. Everyone here uses their burners for strictly data back ups right? Good god...cut the guy some slack. Anyways...if your cdrom can't read it...ur out of luck. If it can...do what stark suggested. If all else fails...i hear toothpaste can help with those scratches. I've heard people have had successs with that and some have totally destroyed their cds with it.

soup or man

Jan 17, 2000
aoe2 expansion pack is comin out in August, if ya wait awhile longer it'll be cheaper. you're friends disk is almost certainly not american anyway.