Make the best quite computer?

Mongoo

Sep 20, 2004
I intend to use my computer for heavy dutie recording (music) and some video to boot. Over all I need quite. I don't know what makes noise or the most noise but I assume the PSU, Fans, Case, Hard drives, & CD-roms are the main issues.

Whats the quitest computer I can make?

Conversly if Power is what I need, what is the quitest computer I can make if I require enough power & cooling to protect multipule high end componets inside and overclock a AMD 3500+ a little?

THanks

Mongoo

Sonic587

Golden Member
May 11, 2004
You've left out a few things. That is to say, your budget for this project and a better feel for what specs you're aimming for. It's one thing to quiet down a low-end system, but it's quite a different task to hush a higher-end comp.

Mongoo

Sep 20, 2004
The system will be fairly high end.

So far I'm leaning towards

MSI N8N Neo2 Platinum MotherBoard
AMD 64 3500+
1Gig + of Cosair

Mik3y

Banned
Mar 2, 2004
get the antec sonata. it's extremely quiet and looks really awesome. it comes wtih a 380W psu, so it should be able to handle anything you throw at it.

Mik3y

Banned
Mar 2, 2004
yes it does :) that's why antec is one of the better companys for selling cases and psu's. they include a good psu along with a good case at a pretty descent price. enermax, on the other hand, makes great psu's, but doesnt use them in their cases. weird huh?

Sep 17, 2004
The Sonata might still be far too loud for your needs. You should look into running a power supply with a single 120mm fan at 7V as well as 7V case fan(s) to really hush things up. Also check into using a large all copper heatsink with a large (92mm) fan running at 7V to cool it. You can also use mastic and sound-absorbing foam to reduce vibration/sound which will also make a big difference. For an excellent guide to modifiying the CompuCase LX-6A19 (which Antec rebrands as their SLK3700AMB and SLK3700BQE with *slight* modifications) check out this link.

Nickel020

Jun 26, 2002
There is a Zalman case that has passive cooling for every component and includes a passive PSU but it's like $1000 just for the case and PSU. Since you want to overclock that is probably not an option money-wise.
Another option is to have the CPU fan be the only fan. For this you will need a fanless PSU that you should mount OUTSIDE the case (heats up the system too much when mounted inside), a low-end, low-power consumption video card and a Thermalright XP-120 heatsink with a good 120mm fan. If you don't have the PC running 24/7 and the room temperature is around 21C (70F) then the system should be stable. You can also try to implement a fan duct for the hsf so that the hot air is blown out of the case. Make sure to make frequent HD backups or mirror the HD because the high system temp with no case fans increases the chance of a HD failure.
You should also wait for the 90nm A64s as these have a significantly lower power consumption:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/news427.html

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
if you want an A64 system, id say teh quietest you could go would be:

Case with 1x 120mm exhaust at 7V, intake 120mm at 5V
Seasonic super tornado series, or antec phantom
gpu with artic cooling, or zalman
Thermalright XP120 with 7V 120mm
Zalman blue NB passive hs
samsung or seagate hdd

120mm fans could be globe (found at www.mnpctech.com), or other quiet ones.

Gnosis

Aug 27, 2004
I really recommend the AcoustiCase if you can get your
hands on one.

www.acoustiproducts.com

Then If you want a high-system that is dead-silent
there isn't much other choice than watercooling
and a passive power supply. preferebly you can
place the cooling tank and pump in another room
and it will be VERY queit....

But if near silent will do. A standard "silent" setup
somewhat like mine will do. This is what I have:

1. AcoustiCase case
2. 2x120mm Papst fans
3. Tagan 480W ultraqueit power supply
4. Zalmann 7000B-CU cpu-cooler
5. Seagate hd
6. Asus A8V (northbride is passively cooled)

Then you will want to fix up your graphics card so that
it doesn't sound to much as well. Zalmann and thermaltake
has som great solutions for that.

gotensan01

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Water cool your comp. If you do it right, get a fan controller, and get a quiet PSU, you can run under heavy load while maintaining near idle temps. Well, atleast this is how it turned out for me. I'm cooling my cpu, chipset, and gpu while maintaining ~32C idle & ~35C load with ambient around 23C ambient. With my fan controller, the whole system is whisper quiet. The Raptor hdd on the other hand is fairly loud compared to the rest of my system.

Nickel020

Jun 26, 2002
You could also go completely fanless by getting a Zalman Reserator (spelling?) water cooling with an external passive radiator. If you need to move the PC often that's not really an option though.
More on the passive PSUs: If you get one you need to put it outside case. If you don't you heat up your case so much that you need a case fan orhigher rpm case fans and thus negating the advantage of the PSU being fanless.

gotensan01

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Nickel020
You could also go completely fanless by getting a Zalman Reserator (spelling?) water cooling with an external passive radiator. If you need to move the PC often that's not really an option though.
More on the passive PSUs: If you get one you need to put it outside case. If you don't you heat up your case so much that you need a case fan orhigher rpm case fans and thus negating the advantage of the PSU being fanless.
Do you know how the reserator handles under loads? Is it comparable to a heatercore with fan/shroud assembly?

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Tiamat
if you want an A64 system, id say teh quietest you could go would be:

Case with 1x 120mm exhaust at 7V, intake 120mm at 5V
Seasonic super tornado series, or antec phantom
gpu with artic cooling, or zalman
Thermalright XP120 with 7V 120mm
Zalman blue NB passive hs
samsung or seagate hdd

120mm fans could be globe (found at www.mnpctech.com), or other quiet ones.

My recommendations also.

Although, I say just build what you want and enclose the whole thing in a sound proof cabinet. ;)

Nickel020

Jun 26, 2002
Originally posted by: gotensan01

Do you know how the reserator handles under loads? Is it comparable to a heatercore with fan/shroud assembly?

Sorry, I am not really into watercooling since the silent solutions aren't really all that practical if you move your PC alot. I just know that silentpcreview.com says it's the best silent CPU cooler they know of.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
For quieting, you will really need to do your homework. Silent PCReview is a GREAT place to go. If money isn't an object, FANLESS is the key. Since you also plan on overclocking, fanless unfortunatley won't really be too practical.

7v or less is good for fans, i am running a amd64 with a zalmancnps7000alcu at 7v, a 120intake at 7v, three 80mm extakes at 5-7 volts and the case is pretty darned quiet, it just took work and some $$$.

Akira1224

Oct 4, 2004
I think it was mentioned before but the Zalman TNN 500-A Fanless case would be a wonderful way to go. It is around $1200.00 for the case depending on where you order from. You will also need to confirm if your components will fit int he case.

As far as OC'ing in the case goes...since it uses convection to dissipate the heat if you are going to OC anything simply run a floor fan at the case. The manual for the case has this in it with a great drawing of the case and a fan blowing on it :) Yes I know this defeates the purpose of it being silent but it is possible to get great temp regulation using the case and a floor fan. Without OC'ing the system this would be your most silent solution.

whovous

Dec 24, 2001
The video card was my big noise source once I got the Antec Sonata case and the Zalman 7000 for my CPU. Those little fans really whine! It is very important to find a fanless video solution if you want a really quiet computer.

Aug 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Nickel020
Originally posted by: gotensan01

Sorry, I am not really into watercooling since the silent solutions aren't really all that practical if you move your PC alot. I just know that silentpcreview.com says it's the best silent CPU cooler they know of.
the way I understand it, they are supposed to perform as well as any other off the shelf water cooling kit.

Mongoo

Sep 20, 2004
Well let me tell you. I want quiet, but at the same time I might not need absolute quiet. The over all Idea would be to get as quiet as can be with in a limit that doesn't sacrafice 1)Cooling, Power, Accessories, Cards, Drives, etc..

More indepth of what I want is this.... (please feel free to tell me what you think about the units usability and noise level, or with recomendations of similar products that are quieter).... But, heres what I've been thinking.

1)Case ??? (don't know yet)
2) Fans/cooling (don't know yet)
3) Mother board - MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (939 socet)
4) AMD 64 3500+ (probably change fan that comes with it)
5) 2x DVD/CD Burners - NEC ND-3500A
6) Cosaire Value Ram 1GB + in 2x 512MB
7) 2x Hard drive (maybe a maxtor 300GB and something esle)
8) PSU ??? (Don't know yet)
9) nForce6800
10) RME Hammerfall HD96/56
11) Modem (Don't know which one)
12) USB 2.0 and Firewire ports

Not sure what else but this is the system I've been designing in my head. So What can I make quieter and cooler with and with out changing the things I had in mind.

I kind of would like to keep the Case, PSU, and Fans under $400. Whats the best I can do with this? I'm not big on the server Idea either.

Thanks for all the Ideas

Mongoo

iwantanewcomputer

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2004
if you make a solid watercooling rig you should be able to move it. i'm going to watercool my next upgrade and will have to move it between home and school 4 times a year

if you want quiet get some 120 mm fans from panaflo, sanyo denki, or evercool, and use a speeed controller or 7v them

only use one hard drive, and i take out my cd drive cause i never use it. i've only plugged it in once since i built this comp in april.