Make a political prediction

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004

I predict that future president Barack Obama will help to clear the way for individuals not born as United States citizens to run for president thereby opening the door for California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to enter the race.
This will of course be led by a media onslaught talking about all the brave and patriotic new Americans who were not born in our nation but fought and died for America and anyone who apposes them is racist and unpatriotic.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Jpeyton will bash John McCain for 5 more months (at least)

The Green Bean will defend Pakistans foreign policy to the death

Aimster will defend Iran to the death

Palehorse and Lemon Law will get into at least 50 scuffles.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Perry404

I predict that future president Barack Obama will help to clear the way for individuals not born as United States citizens to run for president thereby opening the door for California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to enter the race.

I predict you haven't read the Constitution. It would require a Constitutional amendment that has little or no chance of happening within a full eight year double term of office.

This will of course be led by a media onslaught talking about all the brave and patriotic new Americans who were not born in our nation but fought and died for America and anyone who apposes them is racist and unpatriotic.

And depending on exactly which prospective candidate fits that description, if it's someone as bright as we really need for the job, and you oppose that person's candidacy, they might be right.

On the flip side, if you want to pose ridiculous barriers to those who could otherwise make great leaders, one could easily argue that George W. Bush is a strong argument to bar anyone from Texas from running for any office, ever. :p

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Obama will win in an election essentially hinged on Colorado and VA, both of which we'll take thanks to the youth vote -- finally -- materializing.

after he backpedals on his promise of troop withdraws from Iraq, left-wing blogs will celebrate it as a show of bipartisanship and willing to do the hard thing even in the face of the left wing of the party.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Harvey

I predict you haven't read the Constitution. It would require a Constitutional amendment that has little or no chance of happening within a full eight year double term of office.

And depending on exactly which prospective candidate fits that description, if it's someone as bright as we really need for the job, and you oppose that person's candidacy, they might be right.

On the flip side, if you want to pose ridiculous barriers to those who could otherwise make great leaders, one could easily argue that George W. Bush is a strong argument to bar anyone from Texas from running for any office, ever. :p

Actually I have read the constitution many times.
Have you?
Yes I would appose such logical barriers as our forefathers intended as doing otherwise would set a precedent.
There are always enough Americans to choose from.
More importantly the current movement to remove these restrictions(which is already underway) would not be upon principle but with specific individuals in mind.
These people would no doubt be members of the CFR which already dictate American policy to a great extent.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999

These people would no doubt be members of the CFR which already dictate American policy to a great extent.

OOOooo-o-o-o-ooh... < trembles in great dread > It's the dreaded Council on Foreign Relations. As long as you're putting on your aluminum foil beany and dredging up your xenophobic paranoia, don't forget to scare us with the the dreaded Trilateral Commission and Skull & Bones. :shocked:

Be afraid... be VERY VERY afraid. :laugh:

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004

OOOooo-o-o-o-ooh... < trembles in great dread > It's the dreaded Council on Foreign Relation. As long as you're putting on your aluminum foil beany and dredging up your xenophobic paranoia, don't forget to scare us with the the dreaded Trilateral Commission and Skull & Bones. :shocked:

Be afraid... be VERY VERY afraid. :laugh:

I knew you would do that Harvey. Don't be so ignorant.:D
The council on foreign relations is a foreign policy oriented group who's aims are to influence American politics.
It's not at all conspiratorial as you joke.
Answer this question.
Why do you think our forefathers set up this rule in the first place?

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999

The council on foreign relations is a foreign policy oriented group who's aims are to influence American politics.

I know that, but if you search for info about them, you'll run into wingnut sites spouting the same conspiratorial BS and grouping them together with "The Illuminati," The Trilateral Commission, etc.

Answer this question.

For the same reason they set up the electoral college -- It was the 18th century, and there was no instantaneous communication, let alone rapid global travel, let alone wide spread, in depth information systems that would allow the ability to gather enough information about a foreign born potential candidate, even one who had lived in the country for twenty years and become a contributing model citizen.

I'm not advocating opening the Presidency to every foreign born person who becomes a citizen, but given enough time, and enough documentation, I don't think there's any risk in allowing an otherwise highly qualified naturalized citizen to run for President.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004

I know that, but if you search for info about them, you'll run into wingnut sites spouting the same conspiratorial BS and grouping them together with "The Illuminati," The Trilateral Commission, etc.

Answer this question.

For the same reason they set up the electoral college -- It was the 18th century, and there was no instantaneous communication, let alone rapid global travel, let alone wide spread, in depth information systems that would allow the ability to gather enough information about a foreign born potential candidate, even one who had lived in the country for twenty years and become a contributing model citizen.

I'm not advocating opening the Presidency to every foreign born person who becomes a citizen, but given enough time, and enough documentation, I don't think there's any risk in allowing an otherwise highly qualified naturalized citizen to run for President.

Good argument. And I am not totally apposed to keeping it closed. I merely made a prediction because I see what they are trying to do and believe I know exactly how they will go about this process. I would never make the blanket statement that a foreigner was not capable of running the country.
That is not the argument however this is what I believe the media will falsely push upon Americans apposed to this idea.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Obama wins by 8-12% and marks the beginning of the end of Neo-Conservatism and Fundamentalist Christianity political influence.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
A hypothetical President Obama will have a heaping plate of GWB&co bungles to undo, I very much doubt that a President Obama will have a single moment to devote to the agenda to opening up the Presidency to those not native born. I agree with Harvey, its an issue not without merit, but in the grand priority scheme of things, I very much doubt its worth wasting any political capital on now. Obama has bigger fish to fry.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: Tab
Obama wins by 8-12% and marks the beginning of the end of Neo-Conservatism and Fundamentalist Christianity political influence.

God I would love that. Let's just hope Obama isn't in on it.