Majority in Pakistan (59%) Feel India Bigger Threat Than Taliban & Al Qaeda!

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
The Pew Research Center came out with a report stating that most Pakistanis feel that India is a bigger threat to their country than the Taliban and Al Qaeda! :eek:

Link: http://www.firstpost.com/world/most...ater-threat-than-taliban-al-qaeda-359767.html

Actual Source to Report: http://www.pewglobal.org/2012/06/27/pakistani-public-opinion-ever-more-critical-of-u-s/

Cliffs:
Only 22% of Pakistanis have a favorable view of traditional rival India, although this is actually a slight improvement from 14% last year. Moreover, when asked which is the biggest threat to their country, India, the Taliban, or al Qaeda, 59% name India. Pakistanis have consistently identified India as the top threat since the question was first asked in 2009. The percentage fearing India has increased by 11 points since then, while the percentage naming the Taliban has decreased by nine points.

My first reaction to the article:
notsureifsrs.jpg

Not just since 2009, but since the creation of Pakistan in 1947, they view India with derision, hatred, suspicion, and pure, unadulterated malice.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Not just since 2009, but since the creation of Pakistan in 1947, they view India with derision, hatred, suspicion, and pure, unadulterated malice.

That's because those organizations are essentially on the same side; Al Qaeda is almost a subsidiary of Pakistani intelligence services and share many common goals.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
The majority in Pakistan essentially ARE the Taliban and al Qaeda, they just don't want to personally blow up for Allah. Not sure why this would be surprising as attacking India is wildly popular in Pakistan whether it's an invasion or blowing up/gunning down shoppers and hotel guests.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
If ever there was a nuclear country to attack, Pakistan is it. I'd side with India any day over the folks behind Bin Laden.

Apr 27, 2012
There is something wrong with the people in Pakistan, many dont beleive in freedom and want sharia law. All this mess with taliban could have been avoided if pakistan had stayed with India

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
No, thanks.

Then India too would have been ruined.

The partition was a blessing in disguise.

There is something wrong with the people in Pakistan, many dont beleive in freedom and want sharia law. All this mess with taliban could have been avoided if pakistan had stayed with India

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
What is the conclusion that this poll is trying to get at?

Maybe they just don't see the Taliban or Al Queda as a threat? Maybe they view them as weak and unable to exert much influence?

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I think if you polled Americans, a surprisingly high percentage would view Mexico as a greater threat to the U.S. than the Taliban or Al Qaeda. What would that mean?

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I think if you polled Americans, a surprisingly high percentage would view Mexico as a greater threat to the U.S. than the Taliban or Al Qaeda. What would that mean?

That that percentage of people in the US is as stupid as the backwoods uneducated nitwits that were polled in Pakistan.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
That's because those organizations are essentially on the same side; Al Qaeda is almost a subsidiary of Pakistani intelligence services and share many common goals.

Though I would wager they kill more Muslims than other groups. You have the occasional attacks elsewhere but usually it's markets in ME that are being hit.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Damn, now I want to see if that's actually true. :wub:

Was probably true until Sep11th, now that we've had a decade of 'terror' I seriously doubt anyone cares THAT much about Mexicans.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
For the average Pakistani, India is the bigger threat, given that India has occupied Jammu & Kashmir since 1947, territory that probably should have been Pakistani.

Don't let history interfere with the formulation of you opinions gentlemen. Doing so would kill many a mindless rant, and who'd want that?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
The majority in Pakistan essentially ARE the Taliban and al Qaeda
How many Pakistanis do you know personally?

I know many, both in the US, and in Pakistan, and they're for the most part just like us. They go to school, work, raise families, put food on the table, sleep, shop. Ask the average Pakistani whether they are more concerned about India or more concerned about job security or health care, and they'll always pick the latter.

That's on par with most Americans, who could give two shits about Iraq/Afghanistan/Al-Qaeda, and are more concerned with the job market, their home equity, or a dozen other daily concerns.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Guys, Pakistan and India have been in a series of wars for several generations now and have repeatedly threatened each other with annihilation, nuclear war, etc. Of course Pakistan views India as its biggest threat.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
That that percentage of people in the US is as stupid as the backwoods uneducated nitwits that were polled in Pakistan.

Or maybe that the Taliban and Al Qaeda are not as powerful as they were, are largely contained, and do not pose the threat they have in the past?

What is your personal stance? Do you currently view the Taliban as a threat to the U.S.?

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
The point of this poll is to show that many Americans are incredibly bad at math and have little to no understanding of how numbers work.

Taliban: Maybe 1000 people who live in caves and are completely incapable of defending against a small US invasion force
India: Population of 1.2 billion people. Active military of 1.3 million people. 1.1 million in reserve. They've been at war with Pakistan at least 4 times and they have nuclear weapons.

"Derrr those stupid pakis are scared of nucular flying carpets lololol"

hillbilly19.jpg

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Well, Pakistan is a country that defines itself by not being India, so not surprised here.

Apr 27, 2012

I know many, both in the US, and in Pakistan, and they're for the most part just like us. They go to school, work, raise families, put food on the table, sleep, shop. Ask the average Pakistani whether they are more concerned about India or more concerned about job security or health care, and they'll always pick the latter.

That's on par with most Americans, who could give two shits about Iraq/Afghanistan/Al-Qaeda, and are more concerned with the job market, their home equity, or a dozen other daily concerns.

Not exactly true, In pakistan they have the blasphemy law and a large amount support it, this is very extreme. There are also lots of honour killings, women getting stoned, acid thrown in there face and much worse. Yes there are good people there but much more bad people.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
For the average Pakistani, India is the bigger threat, given that India has occupied Jammu & Kashmir since 1947, territory that probably should have been Pakistani.

Don't let history interfere with the formulation of you opinions gentlemen. Doing so would kill many a mindless rant, and who'd want that?

Another know it all spewing nonsense. :rolleyes:

Apr 17, 2005

lol

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Another know it all spewing nonsense. :rolleyes:

Yawn. Even when offered the truth in a mild-mannered way, True Believers will reject it in favor of the virulent lies they've been taught to believe, lash out in the vitriol of denial.

The Princely state of Kashmir and Jammu had a majority Muslim population; Muslims were 80 percent of the whole state. The Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir acceded to India at the outbreak of violence. This Kashmir conflict led to the 1947 war between India and Pakistan in that region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_of_India#Jammu_.26_Kashmir

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princely_state_of_Kashmir_and_Jammu#End_of_the_princely_state

Knowledge is the enemy of Faith, and I'm confident that you'll both be able to keep the Faith no matter what.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

I wouldn't disagree with that, but in positions - how they feel about Jews, Christians, India, America, women's rights - they are more or less identical to the Taliban. That's why I said "essentially are the Taliban and al Qaeda" rather than "are the Taliban and al Qaeda" - which would be true if the average Pakistani was more concerned with killing Jews, Americans, and Indians than with day-to-day factors of life. Note that this same fact - that the people are for the most part just like us, they go to school, work, raise families, put food on the table, sleep, shop - is true of every society we would judge as evil. The average North Korean is solidly behind their leader, but spends the vast majority of his time on normal day-to-day life. Same for the Nazis, the Brown Shirts, and the Communists.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
The point of this poll is to show that many Americans are incredibly bad at math and have little to no understanding of how numbers work.

Taliban: Maybe 1000 people who live in caves and are completely incapable of defending against a small US invasion force
India: Population of 1.2 billion people. Active military of 1.3 million people. 1.1 million in reserve. They've been at war with Pakistan at least 4 times and they have nuclear weapons.

"Derrr those stupid pakis are scared of nucular flying carpets lololol"

hillbilly19.jpg

this!

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
Pakistan has had several wars with India and has Indian nuclear missiles pointed at them. Why wouldn't they view India as their single largest threat? I think that 59% figure is really low.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2012
Pakistan has had several wars with India and has Indian nuclear missiles pointed at them. Why wouldn't they view India as their single largest threat? I think that 59% figure is really low.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Because the people in pakistan need to have there heads checked, the taliban and al-qaida are close to taking over with sharia law yet they still worry about India which is ridiculous. Pakistan should never have been created and stayed with India.