major thunderstorms and electrical storms moving through my area

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
been thundering nonstop for nearly 1 hour. Power flicks off and on several times.

Some of the coolest lightning ever, but I am worried about power failure.

Its been so muggy here with 30C + humidity put the temp to 40C. If my ac goes out it will be like a sauna here.

:(

UPDATE: a woman was killed by lightning during the storm:

Lightning strike kills Huron County woman
Mon, August 10, 2009

By KATE DUBINSKI, LONDON FREE PRESS

A walk on the beach with a friend turned tragic Sunday night as severe thunderstorms struck the region, killing a Huron County woman who was struck by lightning while trying to find shelter from the storm.

Despite the efforts of a bystander who was already performing CPR when paramedics arrived, the woman, identified by police as Virginia Baldwin, 49, from the St. Joseph?s, didn?t survive her injuries.

An autopsy revealed Baldwin likely died of a heart attack as a result of being struck by lighting.

The incident happened on the beach on the west side of Port Franks, a small community in Lambton County, just before 9 p.m.

The woman and a man had been in the water in a dingy when the storm began.

They got out and turned the dingy over for shelter and, along with a dog, started walking towards the parking lot.

?The lightning struck and blew apart the rubber dingy,? said Ron Huxley, the fire chief of the Northville Volunteer Fire department, one of several emergency crews that were called to the scene.

The woman was unconscious and not breathing, Huxley said. The man was knocked out but later came to.

A bystander on the beach performed CPR on the woman until paramedics arrived, but the woman never regained consciousness.

?The power that comes from a lightning strike is unbelievable. You could be standing 100 feet away from a strike and still feel it,? said Huxley.

The dog was also killed in the incident.

Weather at Port Franks is often ferocious and comes on suddenly off Lake Huron, Huxley and other residents said.

?We get considerable weather because of the dune structure, which comes off the lake and causes all kinds of funny weather,? he said.

John McClennan, who owns the Port Franks Marina, said people have been talking about Sunday?s storm and the viciousness with which it hit the community.

?People here thought we were being hit by a tornado,? McClennan said.

?It was just horrendous. It came in two shots, two different storms, and things were just tipping and flying all over the place.?

In Parkhill, where McClennan lives, the storm was the worst he?d seen, McClennan said.

The woman has not been identified until family members can be notified.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
At least you're not looking at a hurricane. :D
if you saw what has been hitting us for the last hour, you would think it was a hurricane.

flood warnings are now up.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
We had a lot of that recently. It finally ended.
But now its too dry.
Will need to water the lawn early in the morn.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
There'll be a line of storms moving through the area tonight too, probably hitting around 2am.
TWC says: "Strong thunderstorms likely. Damaging winds with some storms."

Dandy, I'm sure that'll do wonders for sleeping. If storms don't wake me, which they generally do, they get worked into my dreams, which usually makes them quite unrestful. (Unrestful...sounds like it should be a word, right?)
I'm really not a fan of loud noise of any sort, especially not sudden ones that occur with very poor warning.

OP: Ok, your profile says London, in Ontario, Canada. I bet you're getting the storm system that's headed right for me - Erie, PA. Yay. :(

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Jeff7
There'll be a line of storms moving through the area tonight too, probably hitting around 2am.
TWC says: "Strong thunderstorms likely. Damaging winds with some storms."

Dandy, I'm sure that'll do wonders for sleeping. If storms don't wake me, which they generally do, they get worked into my dreams, which usually makes them quite unrestful. (Unrestful...sounds like it should be a word, right?)
I'm really not a fan of loud noise of any sort, especially not sudden ones that occur with very poor warning.

OP: Ok, your profile says London, in Ontario, Canada. I bet you're getting the storm system that's headed right for me - Erie, PA. Yay. :(
yup.

here's the radar of my area: http://www.ontarioweather.com/.../exeter_single_wso.asp

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Send that shit to DFW pls. It's goddamn ~75F every night for the last few weeks.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Same stuff just rolled through here, holy crap that was a lot of lightening.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Iron Woode
yup.

here's the radar of my area: http://www.ontarioweather.com/.../exeter_single_wso.asp
Mom! Dad! Canada's not keeping his weather on his own side! He's getting rain and thunder and lightning on my side of the continent! Make him stop!
LOL

LONDON - PARKHILL - EASTERN MIDDLESEX COUNTY
10:10 PM EDT SUNDAY 9 AUGUST 2009
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR
LONDON - PARKHILL - EASTERN MIDDLESEX COUNTY CONTINUED

AT 9:50 PM DOPPLER WEATHER RADAR SHOWS A LINE OF THUNDERSTORMS WITH INTENSE LIGHTNING FROM DETROIT NORTHEAST THROUGH LONDON TO CAMBRIDGE. THIS LINE IS MOVING SOUTHEAST AND WILL REACH A LINE FROM LEAMINGTON TO DUNNVILLE BY 11:00 PM. THESE STORMS WILL LIKELY PRODUCE WIND GUSTS TO 110 KM/H AND TORRENTIAL DOWNPOURS.
THIS IS A WARNING THAT SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE IMMINENT OR OCCURRING IN THESE REGIONS. REMEMBER SOME SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS PRODUCE TORNADOES..LISTEN FOR UPDATED WARNINGS. EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT ONTARIO RECOMMENDS TAKING COVER IMMEDIATELY WHEN THREATENING WEATHER APPROACHES.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
We get that 3 times a week in FL, I don't mind 'em, cools off the house and gives the AC a break..

Matthiasa

Diamond Member
May 4, 2009
That hit where I am a few hours ago. It's not really that bad.
Though there was flood, flash flood, and severe thunderstorm warnings from it, there still is a flood watch here in fact.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Storm's here. Sounds like the sky is royally pissed off, and the lights are flickering quite a bit. Time to start force-feeding Wheaties to my UPS.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Storm's here. Sounds like the sky is royally pissed off, and the lights are flickering quite a bit. Time to start force-feeding Wheaties to my UPS.
good luck.

I hope everything's ok.

darrontrask

Nov 23, 2004
Just came in from sitting on my back deck and watching it roll in. Sitting at 1800 ft above sea level here in Sherman NY and that was bad ass watching the lightning come in all around us. Lightning was awesome out over Lake Erie.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: Iron Woode
Originally posted by: Rubycon
nice line going on there
no kidding.

trust me, this will cause problems in rural areas tonight. maybe even a tornado.

PS: London is the thunderstorm capital of Canada.

The center of the big red blob seems to be intensifying & heading right toward where I'm at. Kayaking tomorrow! Letchworth Gorge ought to hit 12' plus. The lightning is like a strobe light out my window right now; should lose internet in about 15 minutes, a few minutes after the storm gets here (and the high clouds block the satellite to the south.)

Had a tornado spin off the line of storms that came through earlier, just a few miles from me. Although, I was about 60 miles SE of home at a moto-cross race. Oddly, it seemed that my wife and I were the only ones paying attention to the weather - people didn't seem to take "HEY EVERYONE! Severe thunderstorm warning" as seriously as they should. But, as I hustled from the track area back to our pit site quite a way from the track, I started the warning "80mph winds reported, get your easy-up canopies down NOW!"

Still, a lot of people dilly-dallied. Roughly 30 destroyed easy-up canopies, trailer awnings, etc. Plus, with everyone parked 10-15 feet apart, there were a lot of vehicles (expensive motor homes) that were blasted by all those shelters when the storm hit. We got everything put away in the nick of time & dove into our van. Our van sitting broadside to the storm (track was toward the top of a hill, facing the wind direction) and the wind was rocking it back and forth. I'll have to post some pictures of the aftermath when I get a chance. (Oh, and 3rd place in the night cross, 4th place in the first moto today - which became the final results due to the storm; 2nd place in WNY went down & ended up 17th, so it looks like my son moves into 2nd. And, he beat #1, so it'll be close there.)

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Huh, well that was weak.
Lots of rumbles and lightning, but no power outages, and it seems to have passed through. Temperatures are already dropping.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Huh, well that was weak.
Lots of rumbles and lightning, but no power outages, and it seems to have passed through. Temperatures are already dropping.
here's a little update:

Thunderstorms leave outages in their wake
Mon, August 10, 2009

By KATE DUBINSKI, LONDON FREE PRESS

The severe thunderstorms that tore through the region last night have left more than 3,300 Hydro One customers without power this morning.

Multiple crews were working through the night to restore power to the affected areas. Some customers could have seen power restored early this morning, but Hydro One officials say many will start seeing their lights come back on at 8 a.m.

The public has been advised to stay clear of downed power lines that were knocked over by high wind and lightning during yesterday?s powerful storms.

Many will also have to avoid tree branches and debris.

Customers in Aylmer, Beachville, Clinton, Kent, Lambton, Listowel, Strathroy and Walkerton are among the 3,313 customers affected in the region.

a little wider view:

More than 20,000 without power in southern Ontario

Aug 10, 2009 06:15 AM
Be the first to comment on this article...
THE CANADIAN PRESS

Thunderstorms that rolled through southern Ontario Sunday evening knocked out power to about 21,000 Hydro One customers

The largest outages are in the Barrie, Owen Sound and Newmarket areas with blackouts also reported in Alliston, Simcoe and elsewhere.

Police say the storm left some roads littered with trees and downed hydro lines.

Hydro One hopes to have most customers back on the grid by early this morning, but some may have to wait until later in the day.

The storm also cut the power at about 9 p.m. at Pearson International Airport, causing some flights to be delayed or cancelled.

Apparently the storm caused the cancellation of a Nickel Back concert. I guess the storms did have an upside.