Major problem with new Voodoo 5500 card.. HELP!

WarCon

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2001
All 2D stuff works great and the picture is great, but try to do anything 3D like games or benchmarking (3DMark2000) it crashs as soon as it starts. (Sometimes doesn't even put anything to the screen) It is hard locking the machine (needs a reset).

Clue me in, this card is a friends and it does the same thing in two systems with different chipsets.

Do we need to see if we can get a refund?

WarCon

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2001
Link won't open for me.

I got it to work for a while in single chip mode in 32bit color in 3DMark2000. But when I ran it again in 16bit and 800 x 600 it started to display flashing little boxes (I assume fill clusters or something like that because they came in vertical lines, not solid ones but the pattern the flashing little boxes made were vertical lines) and then shortly after that it locked up. I am thinking it might be heat, because it is getting really warm on the backside of the chips. Do these cards have issues with heat? I am going to underclock it and see if it that makes it work, then it will be up to my friend to keep it and put some good heatsinks on the ram and replace the heatsink/fans on the processors or send it back (if the place we bought it will take it back).

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Try playing around with 3dmarks settings. It usually is set to D3D Hardware, select D3D Software and it will likely work.

MrMeyhem

Jan 11, 2001
I guess you have checked that both fans are running properly.
Try running with your case open incase it gets to hot...atleast then you can see if it's the heat that's causing the problem....

oobuk

Jun 29, 2001

<< All 2D stuff works great and the picture is great, but try to do anything 3D like games or benchmarking (3DMark2000) it crashs as soon as it starts. (Sometimes doesn't even put anything to the screen) It is hard locking the machine (needs a reset).
>>

I had similar problems on Serious Sam, Baldur's Gate II and other games until I used this driver:

http://www.wicked3d.com/technology/wickedgl.htm

This machine had a Voodoo3 in it before and I don't think I ever got the old drivers cleaned out properly despite a lot of futzing.

WarCon

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2001
Thanks guys for all the responses, I have tried about everything and have been using the tweak utility to underclock it to around 130mhz and it has been running 3dmark2000 for awhile, but thats not a workable solution for me so I am going to try to RMA it.

This forum is great.