Major politicial party attempts to censor free speech

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Generalized Wrongdoing:
Major politicial party attempts to censor free speech

Specifics:
Craig, ever heard of the 'fairness doctrine'??

Case in point:
You call bringing up something that censors absolutely nothing an argument on this?

Explanation:
Part of the point of this post, apart from highlighting this incident, is to point out how something that sounds scary as it should, turns into people likely rushing to defend their 'side' once the specifics are listed - oh, it's MY party doing it, well then let's look for why it's a good idea!

Demand:
Do you support the party making this demand to censor free speech, whether or not you agree with them on the issue of Medicare?

Response: It's not censorship.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
A political party demanding a media company refuse to allow their opponents to air an ad (that is accurate about its main points) because it hurts them politically is attempted censorship. Other things that would also be attempting to censor would be your lawsuit, or passing a law prohibiting airing it, or sending the military to force them not to air it, or nationalizing the media company and not airing it - but so is what they did.
So what do you call it when a party tries to tell a radio station which programs it can and can't air??

Seems that the fairness doctrine had a LOT more censorship than the Republicans asking one ad to be removed from the air.

If your Democrats had their way they would have removed entire radio shows from the air permanently and had them replaced with shows that fit their views instead.

That goes beyond censorship and steps into state run media territory.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
“We are continuing to air the ad,” Chris Ellis, a spokesman for Comcast’s ad sales division, tells me. “We’ve reviewed the materials provided by the NRCC and the documentation provided by the advertisers, and we’ve decided that the ad does meet our guidelines.”

In fairness to the NRCC, it’s very hard to get ads pulled, and both sides try to do this all the time with little success. Comcast’s decision, however, is likely to embolden Dems to stick by their claim that the GOP plan “ends Medicare.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/post/happy-hour-roundup/2011/03/03/AGaSJNIH_blog.html

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
So what do you call it when a party tries to tell a radio station which programs it can and can't air??

Seems that the fairness doctrine had a LOT more censorship than the Republicans asking one ad to be removed from the air.

If your Democrats had their way they would have removed entire radio shows from the air permanently and had them replaced with shows that fit their views instead.

That goes beyond censorship and steps into state run media territory.

^^ This x 10

The Democrats are scared sh*tless about conservative talk radio because although a portion of the programming is pure red-meat for the nutcases, they also expose a lot of crap that mainstream media never discuss about the true intent of Democrat political strategy. But it is wildly successful. No reason why liberal talk radio shouldn't be able to compete on similar merits...except the audience for such thinking appears to be much smaller. That and the fact that liberal philosophy tends to appeal more to emotion than facts... but that's another discussion.

Last edited:

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
^^ This x 10

The Democrats are scared sh*tless about conservative talk radio because although a portion of the programming is pure red-meat for the nutcases, they also expose a lot of crap that mainstream media never discuss about the true intent of Democrat political strategy. But it is wildly successful. No reason why liberal talk radio shouldn't be able to compete on similar merits...except the audience for such thinking appears to be much smaller. That and the fact that liberal philosophy tends to appeal more to emotion than facts... but that's another discussion.

What a joke. The only thing about conservative talk radio that scares anyone is the foam at the mouth hate mongering and lies it promotes. "Investigative reporting" is an oxymoron for these people.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Washington Post = right-wing propaganda machine. Show me examples of the Democratic Party attempting this, and I'll bet you they are not comparable. The op is concerned with censorship of the truth. Others are concerned with discouraging libelous vicious lies.

Are you kidding me? The Washington Post is far from a right wing propaganda machine. Where did you hear that? HuffPo?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Washington Post = right-wing propaganda machine. Show me examples of the Democratic Party attempting this, and I'll bet you they are not comparable. The op is concerned with censorship of the truth. Others are concerned with discouraging libelous vicious lies.

are you confusing the washington post with the washington times?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Here's what politifact says about the ad.
"The ad’s aged firefighter says, "Did someone call the fire department? Because it's about to get HOT in here!" We agree. Pants on Fire!"

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...ats-say-republicans-voted-end-medicare-and-c/

I once disagreed with progressive/Democrat posters about Politifact and was told by all of them that it's the first, last and only "fair" judge of political facts. Nice to see that some of them now have problems with it's accuracy. Funny that.

It's not the last and only judge of political fact, but it's usually pretty right. Keep that in mind in the future.

If you read their analysis in this case it's pretty spot on as well, Ryan's plan will force seniors to pay considerably more for their health care in the future and it fundamentally changes the nature of Medicare into a voucher system, but the claims of the amounts seniors have to pay in the near term are totally exaggerated.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It's not censorship if the story isn't true.

This is simply spin, spin by both party's, and more spin added by craig. It's also why P&N has become entrainment rather than information.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
It's not censorship if the story isn't true.

This is simply spin, spin by both party's, and more spin added by craig. It's also why P&N has become entrainment rather than information.

Sure it is. It just might be censorship you agree with if it's not true. I discussed this.

There is 'spin' in the ad. There is 'spin' from the Republicans as well, along with exaggerated attacks and a demand to censor the ad.

Loki finds one quote from someone saying 'both sides try to do this all the time'.

Perhaps - my post doesn't say whether or not that's the case. I'm not familiar with how many times this happens, how justified each case is.

If there's actual facts about other cases, they can be posted, and discussed. If it's more common, fine; if not, fine. Useful to discuss.

This is discussing the example I've seen for this case, something I don't hear happening that much.

It's what I said - a major party attempting to censor the other party because they don't like they message - and without basis, only minor issues.

Comcast happens - perhaps somewhat surprisingly given their bias would probably be for their friends who just approved their merger - to agree the ad should be aired.

My post was accurate. Your attack of 'spin' was 'spin'.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
are you confusing the washington post with the washington times?

The Washington Post is a right-leaning, centrist-right, 'inside the beltway' paper. The Washington Times is a much worse, poor quality propaganda piece for the right started by cultist Rev. Moon (that Republicans have embraced, developing quite a few ties to Rev. Moon to support that effort). I generally accept WaPo pieces, not WaTi pieces.

Let's give a couple examples of facts for my claim, documented by Media Matters:

'The Washingto Post's love affair with right-wing bloggers':
http://mediamatters.org/columns/200702270003

'Is there a phony right-wing attack WaPo's Ombudsman won't promote?'
http://mediamatters.org/blog/201007190004

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Humpty dumpty sat a wall .

Humpty dumpty had a great fall

All the kings men and the kings horses.

Couldn't put humpty dumpty back together again

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Republican cockroaches running scared from light shed on their Medicare schemes. I love it. These ads are going to be all over the airwaves next year. If you are going to handle the third rail of politics, this is not the way to do it:
third+rail.jpg

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Good one, senseamp. The way that the Ryan plan coupled taxcuts for the ultra Rich with benefit cuts for the rest of us just adds insult to attempted injury.

Their arrogant disconnect from reality is astounding.

"What the public needs is austerity, and what the rich need is hookers, blow & champagne! Yeh, Baby!"

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Good one, senseamp. The way that the Ryan plan coupled taxcuts for the ultra Rich with benefit cuts for the rest of us just adds insult to attempted injury.

Their arrogant disconnect from reality is astounding.

"What the public needs is austerity, and what the rich need is hookers, blow & champagne! Yeh, Baby!"

The sad thing is, it seems 9 times out of 10 their money DOES buy them the political support they need for these policies that screw people.

It's the exception that there's some accountability. Bush passed massively reckless borrowed tax cuts in 2001 and 2003 and went on to win in 2004 not hurt by them.

The main exceptions recently seem to be this Ryan bill on Medicare and some backlash for killing unions at the state level across the country.

But even on the union issue, the Republicans seem to be coming out ahead. It seems they're ok with losing a few recalled people as the price to pay for a major strategic advantage as the Democrats' main source for money against their bottomless corporate sources laundered through groups like Rove is killed off. Their policies are still in effect for years to come regardless of that backlash.

If the Democrats take control of the Senate in Wisconsin, it doesn't reverse any of these policies, where Republicans still have the other house and the governor.

The Republicans just voted - more as a message than policy but still - to default on American's debts for the first in our history to try to blackmail the country - to say in effect, 'if you Democrats don't vote for the same Medicare bill we did so that it's removed as a political attack, we'll blow up the country' - and there's no accountability.

In the recent New York race where Republicans were held accountable, when the Republican was losing, Karl Rove and other Republican corporate PACs poured in large amounts of money to pay for the Republican to put out ads saying she was PROTECTING Medicare while her Democratic opponent was the one who wanted to REDUCE Medicare (based on misusing a quote where the Democrats had said 'everything is on the table to discuss spending cuts'). It's usually effective.

Last edited:

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
How about when the politicians use the DMCA laws to take down videos that criticize their political ads.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...own-knocks-out-yet-another-political-ad.shtml

http://www.nationaljournal.com/njonline/online-political-ads-spark-copyright-battle-20081112

http://cdt.org/policy/cdt-releases-report-meritless-dmca-takedowns-political-ads

And here we thought those laws were for the poor music and movie industries in their noble role to combat piracy, be careful what laws you wish for you may just get it.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
How about when the politicians use the DMCA laws to take down videos that criticize their political ads.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...own-knocks-out-yet-another-political-ad.shtml

http://www.nationaljournal.com/njonline/online-political-ads-spark-copyright-battle-20081112

http://cdt.org/policy/cdt-releases-report-meritless-dmca-takedowns-political-ads

And here we thought those laws were for the poor music and movie industries in their noble role to combat piracy, be careful what laws you wish for you may just get it.

Looked at your first link, nice find. It's funny, it's not like they couldn't have found/paid *some* real steelworker to read their ad.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Looked at your first link, nice find. It's funny, it's not like they couldn't have found/paid *some* real steelworker to read their ad.

Apparently you missed the second link you stupid chimp, where it was a Republican who was being censored.