Mains-powered USB hub question

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I use bus-powered USB hard disks often enough and the front USB ports on my desktop PC don't seem to pack enough power for these devices to work.

I would just trail a cable from a rear port to allow me to easily plug in a disk, but I have two, one which requires two USB connections and the other just needs one. I assume that it would be a bad idea to plug a disk that just needs one USB connection into the cable that is connected to two USB ports.

I'm considering buying a USB hub with a mains adapter and placing it in an easily-accessible place so I can take the cable(s) with me when needed. I assume that it could supply the necessary power in any case? If so, I'll try to find a USB 3.0 hub for a bit of future-proofing, if the price is ok.

vbuggy

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2005
No, no problems with the dual-header cable. Current is only demanded - i.e. it's not forced in. The purpose of the dual-header cable is to allow devices to draw more than 500mA, up to 1A. If your device only draws 500mA or under, then it will draw =<500mA regardless of whether you use the dual-header cable or just a regular one.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I have been a powered USB hub user for several years. Have not gone to USB 3 yet, but would not be hesitant to use something like this:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0360531

I use a two port connector cable with my laptop and an external drive. That works, but it does not go with me when I travel.

I have always found powered hubs to result in USB stability and reliability. My main systems are "floortops" and live under the desk. The hubs are right on the desks and make access much easier as well.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Resurrecting an old thread here, but does anyone have any recommendations for what brand USB 3.0 powered hub to go for? Amazon have a few for example but a lot of poor ratings.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I have always found powered hubs to result in USB stability and reliability. My main systems are "floortops" and live under the desk. The hubs are right on the desks and make access much easier as well.

This. Definately run with an AC-powered USB hub, takes the power load off of the USB ports on your PC, and puts it on the power brick for the USB hub, which hopefully can supply enough current for all of the ports.

I use a Belkin 7-port, as well as an APC 7-port. Both are solid hubs.

Don't bother messing around with a $1.50 hub from Meritline or dealextreme.