Maine might use stimulus funds for... APPLE LAPTOPS???

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
The state of Maine has expanded a growing student laptop program that now includes most of the state's high school students, requiring Apple to ship 64,000 MacBook laptops to the state.

The Maine Department of Education may need an additional 7,000 MacBooks on top of the 64,000, which surely will please Apple during a global recession. Around half of the public high schools in Maine are taking part in the program, with some school districts requesting official waivers to use stimulus funds to pay for the program.

The laptops are expected to reach Bangor, Portland, and Augusta, with several other school districts expected to announce their participation in the program.

Since 2002, the Maine Technology Learning Initiative (MTLI) has provided middle school students across the state with MacBook laptops. The state's Department of Education decided to expand the offering so students in grades 7 up to 12 will have access to the state-funded laptops.

"We have seen incredible success with our middle schools showing increased student engagement and achievement with MTLI in place and we want to bring this same opportunity to our high schools," Maine Education Commissioner Sue Gendron said in a statement issued by the state. "This is not just about technology -- it's about using the technology to support education."

Apple will work with state officials to include software that can be used by students to work on documents, create presentations, edit photos, and carry out other necessary tasks. The laptops will ship with programs such as iLife and iWork, along with whatever software the state of Maine believes is necessary.

There have been scattered reports of both public schools and universities providing some type of laptop or MP3 player device to students, but it obviously is still a very rare occasion. A growing number of school districts have shown interest and e-book readers to cut down on the cost of printed text books, but that has been met with state and regional money issues.

These stimulus funds might be used to give kids free Apple laptops!!! There is nothing more to say. This is outrageous. You'd expect the money to go into scientific research or infrastructure building. I mean, if you're going to give these guys laptops, 400 dollar ones are available easy. This is just a huge waste of taxpayer money. If stimulus funds gets approved for this, expect to hear cries of outrage.

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
Well some asked for change and this is what we get......

Of course I dont see why they needed Apples either. They could have easily got some cheap laptops or netbooks from Dell or HP for under $400ea after the bulk buy.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
"Punk kids"? You are hilarious.

That said, dumb use of stim money. Particularly since they are Macs.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Andrew1990

Of course I dont see why they needed Apples either. They could have easily got some cheap laptops or netbooks from Dell or HP for under $400ea after the bulk buy.
Maybe the TCO is lower compared to a PC/Windows laptop?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Waste of money, but I live next to Apple HQ, so I guess as a stimulus it's gonna work for my area :)

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
Originally posted by: her209
Originally posted by: Andrew1990

Maybe the TCO is lower compared to a PC/Windows laptop?

That could be possible but looking at what apple charges for their programs and extra support I doubt it. I am not an expert with Apple products but from the ones I have owned I can tell you that you pay more for less in some cases.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Original article is missing lots of details.

How many districts in Maine are requesting this stimulus waiver?

How many laptops total would be purchased using this waiver?

What is the cost per laptop?

If Maine used non-stimulus funds to purchase Apple laptops, why would they start buying PCs now (and require supporting two separate systems instead of one unified system)?

Do we want our children to know how to use technology better than the kids in India, or should we cut programs like these and continue to ship our high-tech jobs overseas?

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
South Carolina implemented a laptop program at a cost of $200 per student.
Maine implements a program and gives out MacBooks at a cost of $600 per student minimum.
Shows which state pays off politicians the most :)

SunSamurai

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Balt

Why? Because you have a rabid hate for Macs? Based on what?

1. Based on your ignorance of what hardware is actually getting to them?
2. Based on your ignorance of what price they are actually paying?
3. Based on your ignorance of the warrentee given by Apple to them?
4. Based on your ignorance of what special services they might be giving?
5. Based on your ignorance of what special software packages they might be including?

I too think its a bad use of stim money, but dont be a jackass. This is particularly bad because they could of spent this cash on a cloud system and had every student within fifty miles their own accounts. Very little cost, very little upkeep by comparison to just buying separate hardware.

KIDS DO NOT NEED LAPTOPS SUPPLIED BY THE GOVERNMENT. Hell, school barely even justifies a parent buying them some sort of PDF reading device (forgot what they are called) to replace all the schoolbooks.

Gigantopithecus

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2004
Originally posted by: jpeyton

If Maine used non-stimulus funds to purchase Apple laptops, why would they start buying PCs now (and require supporting two separate systems instead of one unified system)?

Do we want our children to know how to use technology better than the kids in India, or should we cut programs like these and continue to ship our high-tech jobs overseas?

Your first four questions are good...the last one, not so much. Do you need to give a kid a rather expensive laptop to get them to learn tech? I think not. I grew up with accessible computing labs in school. That was sufficient. Giving K-12 students personal laptops is an absurd waste of taxpayer money.

Not to mention, wasn't there recently a row about an Indian tech CEO who stated that even US college tech grads were inferior employees because they didn't work hard at the details? No amount of spending teaches ambition. This is just another example of the culture of entitlement & the 'throw more money at the problem & it'll go away' mentality that is ruining this country.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
have they actually figured out how to make computers benefit kids in classrooms yet? for some reason i think it's more likely that the scene from southpark where all the kids are fragging each other in an FPS while the teacher talks is more likely.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: ElFenix
have they actually figured out how to make computers benefit kids in classrooms yet? for some reason i think it's more likely that the scene from southpark where all the kids are fragging each other in an FPS while the teacher talks is more likely.
Do you get all your information about our public school system from South Park, or have you actually visited a classroom and talked to teachers?

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Gigantopithecus

Your first four questions are good...the last one, not so much. Do you need to give a kid a rather expensive laptop to get them to learn tech? I think not. I grew up with accessible computing labs in school. That was sufficient. Giving K-12 students personal laptops is an absurd waste of taxpayer money.

Not to mention, wasn't there recently a row about an Indian tech CEO who stated that even US college tech grads were inferior employees because they didn't work hard at the details? No amount of spending teaches ambition. This is just another example of the culture of entitlement & the 'throw more money at the problem & it'll go away' mentality that is ruining this country.

Its not like computers are even more a part of everyday life then they were even a decade ago. Can't have people learning if it doesn't come from a Bible I guess.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
I grew up with accessible computing labs in school. That was sufficient.
You grew up in a time when laptops were astronomically expensive compared to desktops. And I bet your computing lab back then spent more money per desktop computer than we're spending per laptop today.

Freshgeardude

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2006
what the fuck. macs? those are expensive as hell, where they can just use some windows cheap laptops that are 500 each. fucking retards

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: freshgeardude
what the fuck. macs? those are expensive as hell, where they can just use some windows cheap laptops that are 500 each. fucking retards
How much are they paying for the Macs?

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: freshgeardude
How much are they paying for the Macs?

Doesn't say.
But I know you can get a netbook which would work for everything they say they are getting the laptops for, for under $300.
The very cheapest Macbook starts at $600

I'm betting they pay about $800 though by the time they include the extras like a case, other software, then tack on service contracts.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: SunSamurai
Originally posted by: Balt

Why? Because you have a rabid hate for Macs? Based on what?

1. Based on your ignorance of what hardware is actually getting to them?
2. Based on your ignorance of what price they are actually paying?
3. Based on your ignorance of the warrentee given by Apple to them?
4. Based on your ignorance of what special services they might be giving?
5. Based on your ignorance of what special software packages they might be including?

I too think its a bad use of stim money, but dont be a jackass. This is particularly bad because they could of spent this cash on a cloud system and had every student within fifty miles their own accounts. Very little cost, very little upkeep by comparison to just buying separate hardware.

KIDS DO NOT NEED LAPTOPS SUPPLIED BY THE GOVERNMENT. Hell, school barely even justifies a parent buying them some sort of PDF reading device (forgot what they are called) to replace all the schoolbooks.

This. The hate-on against macs is unjustified, especially since so much information is not given. That being said, laptops are a luxury even in the education field. I as a teacher would be able to utilize them effectively and to great effect with the students, but they would better be served by doing things like school building renovations or hiring more teachers/staff.

If you are talking about 'stimulus' effect, these other suggestions are more bang for the buck as well compared to buying equipment manufactured in China. (The iBook I'm posting on was delayed a week when I ordered it back in '05 as it languished in Shanghai customs for an extra week)

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: Hacp
Topic Title: Stimulus funds might be used to give punk Kids free Apple laptops
Would it be different if they were your kids?

Sounds like a comment a person with a lot of puritanical issues would make.

Gigantopithecus

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2004
I grew up with accessible computing labs in school. That was sufficient.
You grew up in a time when laptops were astronomically expensive compared to desktops. And I bet your computing lab back then spent more money per desktop computer than we're spending per laptop today.

Actually, no, I graduated from high school in 1999. I bought my first laptop in 1999 when I started undergrad; it was an $800 bottom of the line Dell I slaved all summer to purchase. That's not astronomically more expensive than the $1,000 IBM desktops my high school purchased in 1998. (I know how much they cost 'cause I helped install them.)

The point is this: you get more for your money with desktops than laptops. Desktops are also more durable than laptops (with a few expensive exceptions). They're also a lot less likely to end up on Craigslist or eBay.

This isn't a PC vs Mac issue, this is true of all modern computers. What does a K-12 student need 24/7 computer access for? This is really the only advantage giving students laptops has over giving them computer lab access at school.