Mail-in Rebates

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
Ive been through three mail in rebates in the past with OCZ, Western-Digital and Logitech. For all three of them I filed all the proper parer work and each time I send it in they tell me it takes roughly 60 days to process. After that I never hear anything else, no emails and no check in the mail. Have you guys ever actually gotten your rebate or does it take so long that you just end up forgeting about it? I ask because I always see a lot of deals online, like on ******and a lot of them require you to send away for a MIR. All I have to do is think about the MIRs that I never get and it makes me re-think the whole "deal".

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
I dont remember if i got em for small ones but every major one i've gotten.

my RAZR from amazon
Samsung LCDs
PNY 6600GT
Shuttle XPC

Mar 9, 2005
I just got 5 this past month. I keep copies of everything.

The worst experience I had was with Dell but after speaking with CS about 6 times and 3 faxes I got my rebate.

I get about 90% of them.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
I get them, but the hassle in making copies of everything I send in, keeping track of them, and fighting if they try to cheat me makes them not worth it. I now ignore the "savings" advertised in these deals when making purchasing decisions.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
no and rebates are not incentive for me to buy. its a pain in the ass and i dont have time to deal with it.

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
I just want to say that compusa has an awesome mail in policy, you do everything online and they send you a check.

Dec 10, 2005
I always get my rebates. In fact, two weeks ago, D-Link finally sent my $10 rebate check from buying a 7port USB hub.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..just dropped one in the mail for my ATT dsl modem so I'll be finding out.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I hate MIR's ... regardless of that fact, if the price before rebate is about the same as comparable stuff with no rebate I'll take my chances.

Only one out of the last 3 I sent in actually showed up & that was from HIS on a Radeon X1900XTX ... Creative completely screwed me on a $50 rebate for my X-Fi & Mushkin claims to have sent a check but I never got it.

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I just keep track of them in an access database...even print out address labels through it. I've gotten every single rebate I've ever sent out and have never had a problem.

Azndude51

Platinum Member
Sep 26, 2004
I've probably done about 10 rebates over the years with smaller, less known companies along with larger companies like Seagate. I've gotten every single check back, though a couple took almost a year.

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
Well I gave the MIRs one last chance. I ordered a 2gb mini USB flash card. I agree thoes who said its not worth the time and effort in making sure the company doesnt screw you. Unless the rebate is for a large ammount, just not worth all that time.

I Saw OJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Citrix
no and rebates are not incentive for me to buy. its a pain in the ass and i dont have time to deal with it.

QFT

If the "sale" is a MIR, I skip it all together.

I did one MIR for my Sirius radio when I bought one. Did everything they asked and sent it in, never got a check.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: LeiZaK
If something has a mail-in rebate, I usually won't buy it.

I buy it, but I refuse to factor in the rebate to any cost comparison I am making.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
I have a plextor rebate im waiting for, but i havent missed any so far.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: zylander
Ive been through three mail in rebates in the past with OCZ, Western-Digital and Logitech. For all three of them I filed all the proper parer work and each time I send it in they tell me it takes roughly 60 days to process. After that I never hear anything else, no emails and no check in the mail. Have you guys ever actually gotten your rebate or does it take so long that you just end up forgeting about it? I ask because I always see a lot of deals online, like on ******and a lot of them require you to send away for a MIR. All I have to do is think about the MIRs that I never get and it makes me re-think the whole "deal".
I keep a copy of all forms and throw them out when my rebate gets here. I also check on those that go beyond the time they stated the rebate check would get back to me and either email, call or check the website in some cases, to find out what is up.
Only once did I have to get nasty with someone after not getting my rebate and I got it in the mail 3 days later.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i don't think i've ever had a problem with rebates. of course, i don't buy many things that have them so....