Mail, Cocaine Found in Postman's Pickup

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Mail, Cocaine Found in Postman's Pickup
By Associated Press
Thu Oct 5, 2:38 PM

DALLAS - Authorities discovered cocaine and duffel bags of opened mail inside the pickup truck of a postal worker who was stopped for speeding.

Salvador Gonzalez, 33, of Dallas, faces charges of possession of a controlled substance. Authorities said he may face federal charges for the unopened mail pending an investigation by the Postal Service Office of Inspector General.

A deputy constable stopped Gonzalez on Wednesday morning in Dallas' Oak Cliff neighborhood and saw the items stuffed in duffel bags and scattered inside the vehicle.

"He had tons of mail, like old Christmas cards, all kinds of mail he had opened up," said Dallas police Chief Deputy John L. Garrett with the Precinct 1 constable's office. "He had eight or nine credit cards in his possession with different names on them. We assume he had taken them out of the mail."

Garrett said deputies found some mail addressed to a local elected official, but he declined to give the person's identity.

Jun 19, 2004
My UPS guy seems like a stand up dude, but I've always wondered if he's ever been tempted just to take a package or two. He's got to know what's in most of those boxes based on where it comes from, weight, what regulars order, things like that.

I'd think the teptation would be really high, and I'm surprised it doesn't happen a lot, especially when the bring on more temp people around the holidays.

Finality

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Actually using postal trucks to smugle drugs is not a bad idea.

Any postal workers around? I have a business proposition for you.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
If I worked for UPS, I'd be hella tempted to 'lose' a Dell package or two.

That said, I would never actually do that. I'd just think about it.