Mah Rig for F@H (E4600 + 8800GT 512MB)

GarmaZed

Feb 22, 2009
I've been Folding off and on for some time now, going from group to group, but I've never had such confidence in my system's stability until now. So I want to get it checked with you more F@H experienced friends to see if I'm going about things safely.

Essentially, I have a basic gaming PC that I use for Folding whenever I'm not using it for games or while I'm away from the computer for the day. I don't run the machine 24/7, and I don't run it while I'm away from the home or out of town over extended periods of time. I imagine that the most I'll run it at full folding power would be maybe 12-14 hours. The hardware is as follows:

GA-P35-DS3L Mobo
Core 2 Duo E4600 @ Stock 2.4GHz, 800MHz FSB
-(running one SMP graphical client)
EVGA 8800GT 512MB Factory Overclocked (Core @ 650MHz, Memory @ 950MHz, and Shader @ 1620MHz)
-(running GPU client)

I am using the NVIDIA System Tools with ESA Support (found here) to control my fan speeds according to temperature. At boot, the fan runs @ 60%. Once above 70 deg Celcius, it ups to 90%, and then ups to full 100% above 75 deg Cel. The fan speed also is lowered according to those temperatures, too (<70 = 60%, 70> + <75 = 70%, >75 = 100%). Under these settings, I never reach temperatures above 82 degrees Celcius.

My power supply is the Antec TruePower Trio TP3-650, 650W model (specs can be found here), should I be concerned about running the card, its cooling fan, and processor at full for ~15 hours a day with this PSU?

The processor is on a stock Intel heatsink and fan, and never goes above 69 degrees C. I plan to replace that with an aftermarket cooler (probably with the Xigmatech HDT-S1283, found here). I'm not concerned about the E4600, or should I be?

The case is a Cooler Master mid-tower, with one 120mm high airflow intake in the front blowing over two hard drives, and two medium to low airflow exhuast fans in the back, one above and one below the card.

Pretty much, I'm asking about if running this hardware at 100% on the Antec TruePower Trio TP3-650 is safe, are the temperatures safe (~70 deg C on the E4600, ~82 deg C on the 8800GT) for extended periods of time, and can the cooling fans run reliably throughout the day, too?

Thanks for reading, currently folding as I'm posting! (1410/1500 on the E4600, 7440/8000 on the 8800GT)

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
Hi GarmaZed

I can speak to the PSU you are using. It is the same one I have in each of my 2 PCs. I am running Q6600 processor OC'd to 3.2 GHz and Have two video cards in each PC. The pair is one 9800GTX+ and one 8800GTS. These are both power hogs. The good news is that running 24/7 I am not having any issue (or doubts) about the PSU. You're good!

As to the video card fan control allowing temps to get up into the 80C range, you won't cause any damage to the cards at those temperatures. However, I seem to start getting some work unit failures (EUE) if I let the temperature go above 75C. But again, you won't damage the card where you are.

Finally, I am one of the school of thought that you will get the longest life from your PC if you run it all the time. I believe when it is warming up and cooling down, the temperature change 'ages' integrated circuits more than when they stay on. You will hear differing opinions... I can't swear mine is the correct one. Keep your fans and heat sinks clean and you will get a nice long life no matter what you do.

Hope this helps!

-Sid

PS: Thanks for folding with us

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
Well, just to add to Sid's post, I used to run a Q6600 with an 8800GTS (in sig), both OC'd slightly and that computer drew 340W at F@H load. You're fine.

GarmaZed

Feb 22, 2009
Thanks for the feedback, I think I'm going to keep folding off and on for 12-14 hour periods. I'm only partially concerned with the hardware lately, since I'll probably replace the 8800GT sometime soon when the DX 11 cards are released, and pick up Windows 7 to match.

Thanks again, and fold onward!