Magicka: Wizard Wars

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Magicka was a pretty solid hit a few years back. I really enjoyed my play-through and bought some of the DLC for it as well.

So Paradox is creating a PvP game based off of the Magicka system... And it's amazing...
Alpha released last week, and I was hesitant, but I put down twelve dollars or so for a key. I probably played 100 games this weekend then...

It basically goes like this. You're a wizard, and you cast spells using 8 different elements. You can combine 3 elements to make different types of spells. You can shoot projectiles and beams. You can cast walls and shields. You can melee attack players, and you can cast certain spells that effect an area around you. There are also currently 4 spells that you can cast that unlock as you kill other wizards.

So a game goes like this. For five seconds you walk towards the nearest spawn point. Then you fight like crazy until either your team runs out of tokens and you die, or your spawn points get taken and you die. My first games played were complete and utter chaos. I killed teammates. Teammates killed me. I blew up everyone on the screen. I got frozen and killed. I got hit with many, many rocks. But things are starting to become very strategic. There are had and soft counters to things, and it's super fast paced.

I'm loving it. Now the servers are hit-or-miss at this point, and they haven't even implemented a leaderboard. You can level up and earn currency, but there's nothing unlocked and nothing to spend it on. But the basic gameplay is FANTASTIC.

I'd love to find some more people to play with. If you can't do an alpha, the game is supposed to be free to play when it actually releases. This is definitely worth checking out though!

Clinkster

Aug 5, 2009
So you PAID for a beta key for a FREE TO PLAY game? Is that what you're telling us here?

It's not free to play yet, and there's not even a release date set for when that'll happen. Plus you get some skins and junk (which some might care for..?)

More importantly, for the amount of fun he's having, I'd say he got his money's worth.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
If it's PVP based on the Magicka system in general, then it sounds great. My friend and I always killed each other in coop; it was more fun than just playing through the game.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
So you PAID for a beta key for a FREE TO PLAY game? Is that what you're telling us here?

I paid to get into the Alpha, yes. If you go to the website you can see the different packages they have available. Can't say that I'd recommend any of them unless you really want to play now, and I really wanted to play now :)

https://www.wizardwars.com/