MagicJack -- Spyware? Adware? Charge for calls over an hour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2004

I'm thinking about purchasing Magic Jack for the purpose of creating an inexpensive second phone number for myself. Does it install adware and/or spyware on your computer? Does it end up burdening your CPU? Does it eat up your bandwidth when you aren't talking to anyone?

Is it completely free to make calls or do you have to pay money if a call lasts for more than a certain amount of time? Is it truly unlimited local and long distance calling?

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
use search for another indepth post about it.

... but magic jack is pretty cool... i run it on a pc that i dont' care about nor use for anything else except for phone. didn't notice any bandwidth issue, but i have fios.
it is completely free to make calls, i paid for the 5 year plan. remember, if you do that, you have to get the code that they sent you and apply it to your account (it doesn't magically show up).

the only thing i don't like is that i have to dial area code for even local calls.

oh, and if you go overseas, take it with you and you can call USA as if you're there.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I was thinking about Magic Jack, but I didn't like that I couldn't pick a number, that my PC had to be on to use it, and that you can't change what name comes up on your outgoing caller ID. I went with Ooma, cost a lot more up front (I paid $225 shipped) but there will never be another bill. I don't have to have my PC on, got to pick my number and the call quality is GREAT. I'm a big fan of Ooma. Magic Jack isn't bad, and it would take years for you to end up paying as much as Ooma, but Ooma is something you might want to look into is $200'ish isn't out of your price range.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: QueBert
I was thinking about Magic Jack, but I didn't like that I couldn't pick a number, that my PC had to be on to use it, and that you can't change what name comes up on your outgoing caller ID. I went with Ooma, cost a lot more up front (I paid $225 shipped) but there will never be another bill. I don't have to have my PC on, got to pick my number and the call quality is GREAT. I'm a big fan of Ooma. Magic Jack isn't bad, and it would take years for you to end up paying as much as Ooma, but Ooma is something you might want to look into is $200'ish isn't out of your price range.

You mean no bill until after they go bankrupt

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
Originally posted by: JS80

If you purchase from Costco, you won't have to worry about bankruptcy.

BTW, Ooma ain't going belly up in the next 11 months (when it pays itself off for me)....

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: JS80

I don't think they will, they've gotten a few sizable chucks of money involved this year. I meant the "never another bill" for others, of people sign up for Ooma Premiere, which is $99 a year (I do) I see Ooma sticking around for a long time, maybe not forever, but until something better comes along. Magic Jack will definitely die before Ooma, but M.J. is far cheaper up front so the risk is lower to many people.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: dr150If you purchase from Costco, you won't have to worry about bankruptcy.

I wonder what Costco would do if Ooma went belly-up resulting in a very long line of Costco customers at the return desk with their Oomas in hand.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Pepsei

the only thing i don't like is that i have to dial area code for even local calls.

We've had to do that in MD for years now. It's been so long, I don't remember not doing that.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
Originally posted by: dr150If you purchase from Costco, you won't have to worry about bankruptcy.

I wonder what Costco would do if Ooma went belly-up resulting in a very long line of Costco customers at the return desk with their Oomas in hand.

Didn't Costco change their return policy on electronics to 90 days or 6 months? Ooma surely will still be around. Every major B&M I go to carries them. If Ooma went belly up in 2011 the only Costco people who would matter would be the ones who bought it withing the past 6 months. Ooma is doing fine, in fact they're about to release a really nice DECT phone that integrates with their new Hub.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005

I was able to pick my number for MagicJack.

There are ways to use MagicJack without having a computer on. I'm sure Google could help you out with that :p. I've got mine on my HTPC, which is always on anyways.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
I've had it for 2 years and am still waiting for the "aha" moment when you realize why it's only $20 a year. Hasn't happened yet.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
ok. Just ordered Ooma from Costco. Thanks for reminding me to ditch my useless home landline.

Status
Not open for further replies.