Magical fairy cloud ships to defend against global warming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

schmedy

Golden Member
Dec 31, 1999
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
Originally posted by: Druidx
Gore probably just found his next big investment.

What are you talking about. The American tax payer will fund this. It will be called, "The re-investment of run off water into the oceans into clouds to block out the sun act."

What are you crazy, they would never name a bill that tells what is in the body. Better chance it would be called "Save the children and baby seal act of 2010"

Elias824

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2007
Man is getting sick of our environment not working well, so were going to fix it. Everyone is freaking out about global warming but every time anyone offers a solution that wont destroy the economy the complain about how it will destroy the world. Clearly the only solution is to live in caves.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
hmm if we staff the ships with greenpeace/pet etc members and send them off to sea this could be good.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
So, we could just put these all near China to counteract their pollution?

CottonRabbit

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
Originally posted by: brencat
Not to mention potentially poluting fresh water supplies with seawater based rainfall from those clouds...

You do realize that clouds formed over the ocean still rain down as freshwater, right?

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: CottonRabbit
Originally posted by: brencat
Not to mention potentially poluting fresh water supplies with seawater based rainfall from those clouds...

You do realize that clouds formed over the ocean still rain down as freshwater, right?
Except that those clouds are formed by evaporation.
This screwy idea appears to spray salt water directly into the air.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: CPA
Here we go trying to fuck with mother nature again.

Yea, as opposed to what we are doing now, living in perfect harmony with it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
When you get a whole forum of basically ignorant people commenting on ideas about which they know nothing, you get a broad spectrum of idiocy produced by pure associations.

More clouds equals more rain, salt will pollute the land, laugh laugh laugh at the crazy scientists.

Did anybody attempt to find out why this project has approval from a think tank and wide support among folk who are looking for practical solutions to global warming?

Do any of you laughing hyenas have any idea what the scientific thinking behind cloud ships is and why it makes a fing lot of sense?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
When you get a whole forum of basically ignorant people commenting on ideas about which they know nothing, you get a broad spectrum of idiocy produced by pure associations.

More clouds equals more rain, salt will pollute the land, laugh laugh laugh at the crazy scientists.

Did anybody attempt to find out why this project has approval from a think tank and wide support among folk who are looking for practical solutions to global warming?

Do any of you laughing hyenas have any idea what the scientific thinking behind cloud ships is and why it makes a fing lot of sense?
We're talking about cloud ships not the Iraq war.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: spidey07
I've seen the trials/prototypes of this. The whole idea is lunacy - let's screw up the atmosphere some more! Or hey, let's REALLY mess with the water cycle, that's a great idea!

"Screw up the atmosphere some more?" Impossible! If the right-wing nut-jobs are to be believed, man's puny actions cannot possibly have any significant effect on climate.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb

What that was supposed to mean, I have no idea. But let's just start with how clouds form. How do clouds form, not when there are a bunch of cloud ships sailing around guided by satellites, but normally?

Then lets think about Tide. You know you find a lot of that in the oceans. And what does Tide do to you clothes? That's right, whiter whites and brighter colors. Now we can ask the big question. What happens when tide meets clouds?

So you Stupidos who like to reason by explaining ideas that cause you to giggle with the first thing you can pull out of your asses, remember there's better living through chemistry and the kingdom fell from a want of a nail and if at first you don't succeed, seed again. Otherwise you won't be worth your salt.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Seventy-three men sailed up from the San Francisco Bay
Rolled off of their ship, and here's what they had to say
"We're callin' everyone to ride along to another shore
We can laugh our lives away and be free once more"

But no one heard them callin', no one came at all
'Cause they were too busy watchin' those old raindrops fall
As a storm was blowin' out on the peaceful sea
Seventy-three men sailed off to history

Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship
Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip
Ride captain ride upon your mystery ship
On your way to a world that others might have missed

microbial

Oct 10, 2008
Hell, who is to say these guys aren't on to something:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Global+Dimming

Now, if you dreamed-up a plan for Birthers to raise bogus copies of Obama's birth certificate up as high over their heads in order to reflect back the Sun's radiation--that would be silly.

Maybe if they raised up Glen Beck's Barbie dolls...

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
So you Stupidos who like to reason by explaining ideas that cause you to giggle with the first thing you can pull out of your asses, remember there's better living through chemistry and the kingdom fell from a want of a nail and if at first you don't succeed, seed again. Otherwise you won't be worth your salt.

Moonbeam's not home right now. He's in his happy place.

:beer:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: guyver01

Moonbeam's not home right now. He's in his happy place.

:beer:

They are all clues for folk who have none.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

What that was supposed to mean, I have no idea. But let's just start with how clouds form. How do clouds form, not when there are a bunch of cloud ships sailing around guided by satellites, but normally?

Then lets think about Tide. You know you find a lot of that in the oceans. And what does Tide do to you clothes? That's right, whiter whites and brighter colors. Now we can ask the big question. What happens when tide meets clouds?

I thought my point was clear and I think you got it, but it was illuminating the fact that a think tanks don't always come up with great ideas. In fact, I bet P&N qualifies for one. And somebody who's cancer was just put in remission would agree with you about better living through chemistry. Somebody living with the effects of their mom taking Fen-Phen when they were a fetus probably not as much.

I know you enjoy laughing at us for being stupid as we laugh at something else for being stupid but you're doing the same thing we're doing. Which makes you the object of what you're laughing at, in a way. It's the circle of life.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

I thought my point was clear and I think you got it, but it was illuminating the fact that a think tanks don't always come up with great ideas. In fact, I bet P&N qualifies for one. And somebody who's cancer was just put in remission would agree with you about better living through chemistry. Somebody living with the effects of their mom taking Fen-Phen when they were a fetus probably not as much.

I know you enjoy laughing at us for being stupid as we laugh at something else for being stupid but you're doing the same thing we're doing. Which makes you the object of what you're laughing at, in a way. It's the circle of life.

No 'in a way' about it. It is exactly the same thing. But when you laugh at cloud ships not actually understanding how they would work and why they make a good deal of sense, you do damage to yourself and any hope they might actually bring, whereas when I laugh at you, if you aren't totally inert, you may feel some sort of sting, and that sting might in fact rouse you out of your torpor and cause perhaps a bit more reflection. It's sort of like kids that steal cookies and never get their hands slapped. They can grow up facing real disaster when their Texas neighbor blows them away. Also, I already know that I'm stupid. That's why I decided I didn't have the faintest idea what these cloud ships were all about and decided to see if I could learn more. I have developed a habit of recognition, that when I laugh at stuff, stupid is laughing at me. I have developed, in some small measure, an attitude of humility. That also helps me manage the pain you know I must feel stepping down to your level and making fun of you. ;)

So if you did your homework like I asked, you now know that clouds need some sort of seed to get them going, that water droplets form on particles floating in the air, dust, and I'll be darned, salt crystals. And with the ebb and flow of your thoughts you have doubtless also seen, that ocean air is very clean, doubtless having been washed by Tide.

So the long and the short of it all, is that while there are clouds at sea, due to the scarcity of particulate matter, they are rather dark in color. So it appears, my dear friend, that if you want to whiten the clouds to get them to really reflect the sun, like your dear Moonbeam does, then all you have to do is throw salt up in the air. It doesn't make more clouds, it just makes them whiter and more reflective of sunlight, and all at a very good price. And it seems in the numbers proposed the extra white clouds would reflect as much heat as the increased CO2 levels pull in. As icing on this cake, you can turn your ships off with a switch. It's just amazing what really cleaver people can think up.

Remember that people who hate themselves just love to cluster fuck in groups like wolves howling at the moon, but all they achieve is the braying of mules.

Adn4n

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2004

I was about to never return to AT until I read your comment.

There was a quite informative program on the subject matter on the Discovery Channel recently. Basically you are increasing atmospheric radiation reflection. Heat Transfer 101.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
I thought water vapor was a greenhouse gas.

I was under the impression that we were trying to reduce those...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: MrPickins

Water vapour is, but it is not one we are trying to reduce. For one particularly obvious reason, we need Rain, but also because it cycles through very rapidly(3-4 days). So it isn't the kind of GHG that causes concern.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: MrPickins

Some folk don't know their water vapor from clouds. Clouds ain't water vapor.