Mafia III looks rather poor graphic wise . . .

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
"Official" gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuhVMojeX9A

-> Molotovs/fire look like late gen 360/PS3 graphics and leave next to no scorch marks or remnants and don't interact with the environment
-> Environments are sort of but not really destructible - just the basics
-> Bullet/decal damage is so-so
-> Gunplay is so-so

The recommended card is a 1060 which matches about right to what that engine looks like, but still, even Mankind Divided looked substantially better than this. Graphics are on par with nearly 2012 levels, and only slightly above Mafia II.

Opinions?

Azix

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2014
doesnt look finished. main issue might be lack of details in the world. Looks plain.

ThatBuzzkiller

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2014
The lack of a physically based pipeline is painful. I guess the transition to current gen was rough for them ...

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Talk about mountain out of a mole hill, I think it looks great as well. I would rather not take a frame rate hit for the minor details you cited. Cutscene animations are on point as well.

greatnoob

Jan 6, 2014
The lack of a physically based pipeline is painful.

Great for some games, not necessary for others. PBDR is great for artists and for people who own cards with thousands of cores - your average gamer doesn't care if shaders use hardcoded constants or dynamic variables for that reflective surface, if it cuts their framerate and provides no visual gain then it falls under their "not optimised" pile of games.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I recall when Witcher 3 was the "worst-looking game ever!" and CDProject was accused of stealing our women and eating our babies a few weeks prior to the actual release of that game.

I guess we should just wait and see?

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I think the game looks spectacular.
How so? Its passable at best.

And here I though this would be an interesting topic with this coming out in less than 2 weeks . . . .

It's not graphically the most impressive in terms of raw polygons, etc. but is has a nice visual aesthetic which is just as important to some people.

I personally prefer visually interesting over technically impressive.

4K_shmoorK

Jul 1, 2015
Looks fine to me? Huge plus for me that the game was developed without multiplayer in mind. Couple that with car customization, a hopefully interesting and well thought-out story and what looks like a varied arsenal of weapons, it'll probably be a week one buy for me. We'll see what reviewers have to say.

Personally I could care less if the seam of my left pants leg is in the reflection of that puddle of water as I walk by. The game looks pretty current gen, IMO. If the game is worth playing, that's enough for me.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Yupl, 360 gen looking. Some studio trying to make the last payday on the same engine. - WHICH may be cool if the story is cool. Is the story cool? :)

ThatBuzzkiller

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2014
Great for some games, not necessary for others. PBDR is great for artists and for people who own cards with thousands of cores - your average gamer doesn't care if shaders use hardcoded constants or dynamic variables for that reflective surface, if it cuts their framerate and provides no visual gain then it falls under their "not optimised" pile of games.

I would say it's a necessity all around for conveying a realistic design. You also don't need an exorbitant amount of resources either to get a PBR work flow going on. (An equivalent to an Xbox One will suffice.)

Your average gamer DOES care about PBR since it changes game visuals altogether! There's almost no excuse here to be had in this case when COD games have PBR and they probably target a higher performance profile than this game ...

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Looks decent to me, open world games can't really have the same level of detail for every environment that a linear game can have. Not blowing me away or anything but solid

Triloby

Mar 18, 2016
It looks like a re skinned GTA V. Even the HUD looks very similar to GTA V.

If the game plays well and has a nice story to boot, then I can forgive the average graphics.