Mafia: how the heck do you get past the race?

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
12,686
2
81
I've been plying the game "Mafia" for PC. I can't get past the part of the game where you have to win the race. Anyone have any hints?
 

Trezza

Senior member
Sep 18, 2002
522
0
0
LOL my friend spent like 5 days trying to beat it. The key is to take the turns slow and then uninstall the game...it doesn't get any better.
 

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
12,686
2
81
Originally posted by: Trezza
LOL my friend spent like 5 days trying to beat it. The key is to take the turns slow and then uninstall the game...it doesn't get any better.
awe man, don't say that :) how much more game is there after the race??
 

leimus

Junior Member
Apr 19, 2003
3
0
0
there is lots of the game after the race
the trick is to get ahead on the straightaways and make the turns carefully
also, lots of people find that the car handles worse towards the latter half of the race, so be extra careful.
you need to really know every turn and straightaway, so you can manuever effectively ahead of time.
 

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
13,941
1
0
you can hit the red car right at the first corner. Screw it up and then just take it easy. Make the turns slow and don't worry about speed. As long as the red car gets screwed up in the beginning, you can slow down on turns so you won't wipe out and still win.
 

AT

Senior member
Oct 9, 1999
388
0
0
You have installed the patch? It supposedly decreases the race difficulty level.

Also there is a trainer available that I had to use. :( Should be easy to find with Google.
 

viper118

Member
Feb 26, 2003
104
0
0
try to get in front of the pack as fast as you can... once you get in front, just take it easy.. don't concentrate so much on getting fast lap times.. just make sure that you drive smoothly... don't take corners too fast either.. it actually isn't that hard to past...

i found that the rest of this game is pretty fun... the storyline is quite good as well and i definently had a blast playing this game.. although one thing that i kinda didn't like was the classic cars...but this was based upon the older days.. so i can understand that... also, when you finish the game and play the free ride extreme, this is where all the fun begins... you get a bonus car whenever you finish these mini missions... i think there is up to 12 missions... you get these really cool cars...

this is definently a game that is well worth its money ;)
 

igowerf

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
7,697
1
76
I had to use a bug in the map to beat the race. If you bang your car up too much, it'll start veering and dying on you.
 

Lars

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2001
3,379
0
0
Thanks for this thread. Now I do not feel that dumb anymore. I could not win the race and just deleted the game.
 

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
16,517
0
76
huge mistake on deleteing the game. IMO this is one of the best games of last year for PC if not the best. The good stuff is after the race. Anyway heres how to beat the race without using the cheat that skips it.

At the start of the race don't mess up stay with the cars(don't try to wreck them). Don't worry about trying to dart into first. The first sharp turn is the key to winning the race. Heres the key. When you come up to the first sharp turn don't stay on the track cut across the grass and hit the track on the other side and gun it. The other cars will stay on the track while your taking a small shortcut. After doing this you should be in first place. Next thing to do is gun it on straight aways brake and take your time on turns. Everytime you make a lap as you come up to that sharp turn again do the same thing as mentioned above and you will get even more ahead of them. This little tip will keep you in the lead. After the first couple laps your in the lead enough to where you can make a mistake or 2 and still be in the lead. It make take you a few trys to get down what I am saying but you will get it.

It took me about 8 trys to figure this out but as soon as I did I finished it no problem. LMK if this works for anyone else.
 

bsr

Senior member
May 28, 2002
628
0
0
That was easy, only took a few attempts for me. You people have no skills... ROFL
 

NoComprende

Member
Mar 10, 2003
43
0
0
I couldn't beat it for a long time either. I'm not sure if this is cheat Zodder meant: When you get to the road that is blocked off on your left (not too far into the race) cut around the barriers and drive straight on that blocked off road. The game will reset the race by putting you right behind the starting line, as soon as you cross it you finish that lap. Just do this 5 times.

Great game, but the race is very difficult.
 

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
9,140
67
91
The patch that is out now is supposed to reduce the difficulty of the race a decent amount, although I have managed to beat the second place car by ~30 seconds without the patch. Just wreck the red car going in to the first big turn(the U turn after the first corner) and then cruise along. It helps immensely if you have a controller, the cars are a major PITA to control using the keyboard.

I'd say Mafia is GOTY for 2002, I really would reccomend playing through it. There aren't any other misssions like the racing mission, and with the patch reducing the difficulty you shouldn't have too much trouble with it(as long as you are good at the shooting aspect). I've played through the single player game half a dozen times or so start to finish, really is a great game.
 

Luagsch

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2003
1,614
0
0
Originally posted by: BenSkywalker
The patch that is out now is supposed to reduce the difficulty of the race a decent amount, although I have managed to beat the second place car by ~30 seconds without the patch. Just wreck the red car going in to the first big turn(the U turn after the first corner) and then cruise along. It helps immensely if you have a controller, the cars are a major PITA to control using the keyboard.

I'd say Mafia is GOTY for 2002, I really would reccomend playing through it. There aren't any other misssions like the racing mission, and with the patch reducing the difficulty you shouldn't have too much trouble with it(as long as you are good at the shooting aspect). I've played through the single player game half a dozen times or so start to finish, really is a great game.
agreed 100%

i coudn't imagine playing mafia without joystick. the race was kinda easy with joystick control, even without patch. "know thy car". and the game is defenitly worth playing through.
 

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001
5,193
0
71
Originally posted by: Lars
Thanks for this thread. Now I do not feel that dumb anymore. I could not win the race and just deleted the game.
You poor soul. You missed one hell of a game.

As far as the race level, hit the red car ASAP (like the others said) and take the turns really slow. If you keep that in mind you should be able to pass it.
 

bsr

Senior member
May 28, 2002
628
0
0
Oh definitly worth playing all the way through, The game play in mafia is way better then that of gta3.
 

Supermercado

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
5,893
0
76
I had very few problems with it. I tried it once with my keyboard and didn't do so well. Tried it again with my joystick and won on the second try, I think. It's not hard, just go as fast as you can on the straightaways and take the speed as far into the corners as you can. Try and follow the ideal line - don't cut the corners sharp and lose all your speed. Remember, it's better to go a little wider and keep your speed than it is to take it sharp and lose all your speed. Other than that, I don't really know what to tell you. Like I said, I didn't really have any problems with it.

Edit: Just FYI, though, I use the keyboard for regular driving. There's not really enough room on my desk to have the keyboard, mouse, and joystick all up there at once.
 

ZimZum

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2001
1,281
0
76
The easiest way I found was just crashing into the 2 fastest cars on the first turn. They never recover. Everyone else you can easily run down. You should also use a gamepad or joystick of some sort as others have mentioned.
 

DeRusto

Golden Member
May 31, 2002
1,249
0
86
Originally posted by: ^Sniper^
huge mistake on deleteing the game. IMO this is one of the best games of last year for PC if not the best. The good stuff is after the race. Anyway heres how to beat the race without using the cheat that skips it.

At the start of the race don't mess up stay with the cars(don't try to wreck them). Don't worry about trying to dart into first. The first sharp turn is the key to winning the race. Heres the key. When you come up to the first sharp turn don't stay on the track cut across the grass and hit the track on the other side and gun it. The other cars will stay on the track while your taking a small shortcut. After doing this you should be in first place. Next thing to do is gun it on straight aways brake and take your time on turns. Everytime you make a lap as you come up to that sharp turn again do the same thing as mentioned above and you will get even more ahead of them. This little tip will keep you in the lead. After the first couple laps your in the lead enough to where you can make a mistake or 2 and still be in the lead. It make take you a few trys to get down what I am saying but you will get it.

It took me about 8 trys to figure this out but as soon as I did I finished it no problem. LMK if this works for anyone else.
I did it his way.:)
 

zodder

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
9,543
1
0
www.jpcompservices.com
Originally posted by: NoComprende
I couldn't beat it for a long time either. I'm not sure if this is cheat Zodder meant: When you get to the road that is blocked off on your left (not too far into the race) cut around the barriers and drive straight on that blocked off road. The game will reset the race by putting you right behind the starting line, as soon as you cross it you finish that lap. Just do this 5 times.
That's the one. :) The game was too fun to have the stupid race driving me crazy and keeping me from moving on. :)
 

chemicalplay

Member
Jun 17, 2001
71
0
0
Jesus Guys! It took me 3 attempts and i did the race! Do none of you use the manual gears?

Manual gears is more fun and makes you go faster, and u can pull away quicker.

There is so much more of the game after that, how could you not get past it, you should be ashamed!

And as for all of you who cheated. i pity you, shame on you.

LOL. Shame.
 

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
14,166
0
0
Just tried 3 times :|

I think in the 1.1 patch, they took out that bug that NoComprende mentioned, because I found it, was driving down there, then suddenly went BANG! right into nothing, and just put a bit of damage on. No resetting the car back to the start :(


Confused
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Windows 2

ASK THE COMMUNITY