Madonna sued in Russia for supporting gays

Status
Not open for further replies.

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
http://news.yahoo.com/madonna-sued-russia-supporting-gays-115353017.html

Some Russian activists have sued Madonna for millions of dollars, claiming they were offended by her support for gay rights during a recent concert in St. Petersburg.
Anti-gay sentiment is strong in Russia. In St. Petersburg, a law passed in February makes it illegal to promote homosexuality to minors, and the author of that law has pointed to the presence of children as young as 12 at Madonna's concert on Aug. 9

How exactly can these activists prove that they were offended by something? Strange law nonetheless, perhaps promoting religion should be illegal too?

Last edited:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
How exactly can these activists prove that they were offended by something? Strange law nonetheless, perhaps promoting religion should be illegal too?

From the article
The complaint includes a video taken at the concert showing Madonna stomping on an Orthodox cross and asking fans to raise their hands to show the pink armbands in support of gays and lesbians that were distributed among the audience, the new agency reported.

I am thinking the video might be the starting point.

Yet another example of liberal tolerance.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I am a card carrying conservative and while I support gay rights people go to a concert to hear music, not get a dose of politics. Madonna should ask Sinead O'Connor what attacking religion in the middle of a concert does for your career.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I am a card carrying conservative and while I support gay rights people go to a concert to hear music, not get a dose of politics. Madonna should ask Sinead O'Connor what attacking religion in the middle of a concert does for your career.

Yes, because this would be the first time Madonna has ever done something controversial.

Russians should be more worried about their shockingly high mortality rate and the tendency to literally drink themselves to death instead of teh terrible gays.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
No one ever accused the Russians of having anything close to freedom of speech.

She knew or should have known the rules before going to Russia.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
No one ever accused the Russians of having anything close to freedom of speech.

She knew or should have known the rules before going to Russia.
I agree with you on that one. We Americans are very attached to our freedom of speech, and rightly so. When you go abroad, you are a guest in whatever place you are, so you are expected to abide by their rules. She should've known better. That being said, Russia needs to do more to protect their freedom of speech.
Thats why I dont live in USSR :p

I live in a place where they control us just as much, but they do it covertly and make us think theyre helping us and making us more tolerant.

FYI, the USSR is closed for repairs until further notice. :p

stlc8tr

Golden Member
Jan 5, 2011

Sinead sacrificed her career but she was spot on with her accusations.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Wasn't there a singer named Madonna about 30 years ago? Is this her granddaughter?

O'Connor announced on her website in April 2012 that she was "very unwell" and had suffered a serious breakdown between December 2011 and March 2012.[24] This resulted in the cancellation of the tour and all other musical activities for the rest of 2012, at least.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinéad_O'Connor

She's still nuts.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Crony Capitalism, Murdering journalists, locking up a band that insulted the church, banning gay pride parades for 100 years, and now this?

Russia has become some sort of nightmareish rightwing hellhole.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Crony Capitalism, Murdering journalists, locking up a band that insulted the church, banning gay pride parades for 100 years, and now this?

Russia has become some sort of nightmareish rightwing hellhole.

1.) Crony capitalism is a left wing idea where you reward your friends. Right wingers support the free market

2.) The band was locked up for hooliganism inside the church, not for insulting the church.

Status
Not open for further replies.