Made In China

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Over the years, cheap goods have changed from country to country.
When I was a kid, anything marked "Made in Japan" was junk.
Then, crappy junk manufacturing moved to "Made in Hong Kong."
A few years went by, and all of a sudden, "Made in Taiwan" became the new "Junk."
It took a few years, but "Made in Korea" took over from Taiwan,
Nowadays, anything marked "Made in China" is labeled as "junk"...and IMO, (with a very few exceptions) rightly so.

I'm one of those old-time patriots who believes it's better to support American workers when I can, rather than send all my money overseas, especially to a country like China. It's NOT my job to worry about the world economy, it's NOT my job to worry about China's or India's economy, It IS my job to worry about the American economy. I AM an American, and if I don't care or worry (at least a little bit) about other Americans, their jobs, and OUR economy, why should they care about mine?

This bullshit of outsourcing jobs to save a bit on the corporate bottom line needs to stop.

Americans need to stand up to the corporate whores...If they don't want to employ Americans, they don't need to do business here.

RAMBLE!

:confused:

"Dirty work"?
I know there are tens of millions of people whom want to or liked working in manufacturing and when foreign imports started to roll in many of those workers were very upset that the careers they loved would not be around for much longer, Americans do want to do the dirty work if given the opportunity. Second during the 19th century (1800s), it was common anywhere in the world in any given place for children to engage in manual labor. Third what does that first paragraph have to do with anything?

Also I bet you did not know that presently American manufacturing capacity is just slightly ahead of China by a narrow margin. That is expected to change sometime next year.

In the un-verbatim words of Ross Perot- "You are worth nothing unless you make something (tangible)"

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Very good. Thanks.

Wait, the Chinese government is at my front door.............oh hel............

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
I thought Mattel's pressure on its manufacturers forced the manufacturers to go with other suppliers. Mattel's design flaw in their small magnets is also their fault.

This isn't an issue of country. This is an issue of Mattel as a company that had total disregard for safety, and the blame should go to Mattel alone.