Made in China laptop power adapters - fire hazard?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I recently bought a cheap ($7 and change) laptop power adapter for my Acer V5-131 laptop. It was made in China. But not just any made in China. This one, says "always plug into grounded outlet", and yet, doesn't have a ground connection. It has the FCC and CE logos, but no UL or UR or TUV, or any number of real safety certifications.

It works just fine, it charges up the laptop, which is more than I can say for the original (now apparently damaged) factory adapter.

But, is there a history of these sorts of cheap adapters starting fires? I was intending to plug it in next to my bed, and have the adapter and my laptop on my bed.

Would you? I'm not really sure if I can source a "decent quality" (more expensive) yet compatible adapter.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2543360/windows-pcs/dell-laptop-fire-destroys-maine-home.html

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2015/Lenovo-Recalls-Computer-Power-Cords/

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
If it's easy to open up, I would open it up to check how decent it looks. Like clearances between mains side and low voltage side, the quality of the caps used etc...

I find cheap stuff direct from pound land tends to be hit and miss, sometimes it works fine, other times it's a safety nightmare.

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
i would find it more difficult to find a power adapter that was NOT made in china...

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Poor power output is what happened when I got a cheap universal PSU from an Ebay seller. Likely ripple or something. The mouse cursor was jumping all over the place when plugged in, bit smooth as butter off battery. Clicks wouldn't register, etc.

But if you are a tweaker, you can easily take a look inside by unscrewing the box open. Better units require hacksaws.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
It has the ... CE logos, but no UL or UR or TUV, or any number of real safety certifications.
Just FYI - aside from the fact that of course any of those marks can be completely fraudulent, the CE logo without additional (reliable) information is basically meaningless since on "low voltage" consumer electronics like this it's a purely "self-certification" mark. Because it doesn't actually require third-party testing (testing can be "in-house" or third-party), its reliability boils down entirely to who the self-certifier is (if one can even tell for sure) and how reliable/trustworthy that company is. "Real" companies with an interest in regular, on-going business relations with EU countries will obviously be motivated to do it properly, but random "crap" products being sold by random small, fly-by-night sellers - not so much...

Last edited:

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
99.99% of chargers are made in China, the other 0.01% in Taiwan.
Yabbut as VirtualLarry implied, there's "made in China" and then there's that very special kind of "made in China" manufactured with all expense spared just for that exclusive and highly select group of Ebay and other websites' "marketplace" sellers with names like "A++LaptopChrgrDealsRUs".;)

Last edited:

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Poor power output is what happened when I got a cheap universal PSU from an Ebay seller. Likely ripple or something. The mouse cursor was jumping all over the place when plugged in, bit smooth as butter off battery. Clicks wouldn't register, etc.

But if you are a tweaker, you can easily take a look inside by unscrewing the box open. Better units require hacksaws.
Cheap units might need hacksaws or a hammer. A lot will have the two halves of the plastic case joined together with ultrasonic welding, as a cost-savings over using screws: Just fit the halves into the jigs in the ultrasonic welder, and they get pressed together and rapidly vibrated to melt the plastic at the joint.
Quick, cheap, and it discourages nosy consumers from finding out how awful the internal build quality really is.
(Heatsink compound works best when it's 3/16" thick and only 20% of the available contact area is actually contacting anything, right?)

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
I recently bought a cheap ($7 and change) laptop power adapter for my Acer V5-131 laptop. It was made in China. But not just any made in China. This one, says "always plug into grounded outlet", and yet, doesn't have a ground connection.
Heh. Well, it's not like there's anything stopping you from plugging it into a grounded outlet is there?:D:whiste:

But anyway... assuming you usually set the laptop aside before actually going to sleep for the night and so are in a position to flip a switch at the same time, one of these would mitigate your concerns, at least about being burned or choked to death before you get the chance to wake up, for ≤ $10...

Basic: Leviton 1469-W 13 Amp, 125 Volt, Plug-In Switch Tap, Non-Grounding

Basic and grounded (in case you ever find an adapter that not only instructs you to plug it into a grounded outlet, but actually provides for a grounded connection when you do): Leviton 1470-W 15 Amp 125V AC 3-Wire Grounded Switch Tap with On/Off Button

Snazzier, but not grounded: Woods 16/2 Extension Cord with Switch, Wired Remote On/Off (but note the "top" review which, while old, doesn't sound promising)

Snazzier still and grounded: Woods 32555 Weatherproof Outdoor Outlet Wireless Remote Control Converter Kit, 16/3 Grounded

Last edited: