Made in America House

Status
Not open for further replies.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I'd like to see more of this across the country as it is a huge part of the economy.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ho...y-using-made-in-america-components-2012-04-23
Cool story, thanks. Hopefully they will put up a list of these products and who sells them. In the mean time, here's Tidewaters' web site for those who are interested.

http://www.tbaonline.org/

That reminds me, I spent a couple hundred bucks in Ace this past week and a great deal of it was on made in America products. Only the #12 gauge extension cord they didn't have in American made, but they did have Taiwan. The C clamps and combination square were made in America, and I bought a set of plastic sawhorses I didn't need which were at least made in America of "global content". I need to write a letter of thanks to Ace Hardware.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Very cool...and pretty damn hard to do anymore. I was looking through my sons toys and books the other day and it took me a long damn time to find anything that wasn't made in China:( I had no idea most of our books are even made there now...wtf happened?

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I would be interested to see the relative costs of using all American-made products and US citizens for labor compared to an identical house made the "old-fashioned" way.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Most of the cost to construct a house is labor, I'd think... and that is mostly US with some Amigos in some areas.
I thought that American trees were used for the lumber but was told by Home Depot, Correct me if I'm wrong here, the trees go offshore and come back all sized and everything... I too went to Ace Hardware and was surprised to find many items they supply are American made from American stuff...

And then I went to Cost Co... only for some Duck Breasts for the doggi people and Coffee but I did look at the little print on the bottom... Made in China... Duck Breast dog treats... think it is 2 1/2 lb bags... I get 4 of them at a time... Now... it seems we know what and where ducks are. We could treat them like chickens for their bits and stuff and they, ducks, seem to be absent from the endangered species list... But, leaving that aside I went to Petco... and saw an itty bitty bag of Duck Breasts... also made in China... for dang near the price of Cost co's much larger bag... Am I missing something here... Is there any place to get my dog treators that are made from American Ducks? I asked the manager about this and she said, "corporate handles the suppliers all I do is order by number." So I filled out a paper that is provided for suggestions.... Doubt they'll give up profit for the sake of a job or two...

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Cool.. I love my fellow Americans to have jobs and buy everything I can American. Its a war out there and we will find out the hard way as debt has placated our entrepreneurial and industrial spirit but that won't last forever. Hope we have wherewithal to keep up when that happens.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
yeah I'm ALL FOR IT ... Buying American. But not if it costs 10X as much. Sure, no problem if I were rich.

I'm not sure you can buy a TV or a computer anymore that's made here. I'd kinda wonder how he get's on the internet.

We do need the damn jobs tho....

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Cool story, thanks. Hopefully they will put up a list of these products and who sells them. In the mean time, here's Tidewaters' web site for those who are interested.

http://www.tbaonline.org/

That reminds me, I spent a couple hundred bucks in Ace this past week and a great deal of it was on made in America products. Only the #12 gauge extension cord they didn't have in American made, but they did have Taiwan. The C clamps and combination square were made in America, and I bought a set of plastic sawhorses I didn't need which were at least made in America of "global content". I need to write a letter of thanks to Ace Hardware.

Good to know about Ace. I should patronize them more often than I do. Thanks.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Most of the cost to construct a house is labor, I'd think... and that is mostly US with some Amigos in some areas.
I thought that American trees were used for the lumber but was told by Home Depot, Correct me if I'm wrong here, the trees go offshore and come back all sized and everything... I too went to Ace Hardware and was surprised to find many items they supply are American made from American stuff...

And then I went to Cost Co... only for some Duck Breasts for the doggi people and Coffee but I did look at the little print on the bottom... Made in China... Duck Breast dog treats... think it is 2 1/2 lb bags... I get 4 of them at a time... Now... it seems we know what and where ducks are. We could treat them like chickens for their bits and stuff and they, ducks, seem to be absent from the endangered species list... But, leaving that aside I went to Petco... and saw an itty bitty bag of Duck Breasts... also made in China... for dang near the price of Cost co's much larger bag... Am I missing something here... Is there any place to get my dog treators that are made from American Ducks? I asked the manager about this and she said, "corporate handles the suppliers all I do is order by number." So I filled out a paper that is provided for suggestions.... Doubt they'll give up profit for the sake of a job or two...
Yeah, you can't find crap made in America in a Costco.

Good to know about Ace. I should patronize them more often than I do. Thanks.
No prob. I need to patronize them more as well. We spend a ton more at Lowes and they have a lot less American-made stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.