Maddox makes more great points:

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: notfred
Saying "I still have the same job I got in high school" isn't really something to brag about, IMO.

A) I'm not bragging about it
B) I'm making damn good money
C) The work isn't that hard

B and C are my favorite parts

I shouldn't have said I have the same job, rather I work at the same place, but I've been promoted since I started working here

while spending a lot of time in sports i also received good grades in HS and went on to RIT. just because you don't care for sports does not mean the people that do are stupid or wrong.
I never said they were stupid or wrong. What I did say is that, to me, sports didn't do anything for me, and that I'm glad I got a jump start on my career rather than occupying myself with something I felt didn't help me in life much. Work on the other hand, lets me pay my bills, keep my car on the road, keep my cell phone, etc - things sports wouldn't have done for me while I was in HS. Working early on in life also helped me develop a good work ethic IMO, gain great contacts for when I get out of college, again, something I couldn't have done through sports. I know that what I did isn't for everyone, and I don't blame people who put sports first, they just did nothing for me and in my case it would've been a waste of time

BigKev

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2000
Now where did I put my fiddle? He seems to fail to mention some of those jocks who were successful in high school, and went on to have great jobs. A lot of the people who write stuff like that are the ones who got picked on, or the ones who got cut from the team and were bitter ...

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
well, he has a point, to an extent. Education is of course more important than sports. But he seems to be bitter towards any physical activity of any kind. If we didn't have PE, even more American kids would grow up obese and sedentary.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
I dont play any sports at all, but I did play soccer and I sucked. So now I play computer games! I do weightlift though and workout :eek: It sucks since I havent in a single year :(

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
haha I have a friend who's just like this. Always saying, there goes whats-his-face, thinks he's so cool in high school because he smokes weed, but one day he'll be mopping my floors. My friend is actually a jock himself, it just so happens he has a 1550 SAT score and got into every damn college that he applied for. I don't think it's jocks nowandays, I know plenty of jocks that are intelligent and got high scores. The bias however still applies to the majority of them. They take the classes that have coaches teaching them. They always "got out early" to do who knows what. Although our football team never won more then 2 games in a year during my duration in high school, they still viewed themselves as gods or something special.

I'm not ranting here, most of my friends were basketball jocks or baseball jocks and I had a quite a few football ones too, but from being friends with them I noticed that the bias is true. They did pick on people that were defenseless against them. They did make fun of the programming and special kids. Most of them were assholes, just not to me.

Maddox is funny and his articles are taken way too seriously.

isaacmacdonald

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2002
wow. maddox is still retarded. after that last "who dies in fires" column, I assumed there was a temporary reprieve on his inane commentaries. sadly no.

given this country's epidemic levels of juvenile obesity, I have real doubts about the wisdom of maddox's suggestion to completely abandon the concept of physical education in schools. Furthermore, plenty of great players in HS organized sports manage to snag tickets to college based on their talents. Personally, I didn't play an organized sport, and I hated HS rallies and dances, but I could see there were a fair number of people that such things really helped.

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by: SWScorch
well, he has a point, to an extent. Education is of course more important than sports. But he seems to be bitter towards any physical activity of any kind. If we didn't have PE, even more American kids would grow up obese and sedentary.

Yea, there is a line to it I guess. He does have a valid point though, but our next generation kids are gonna rely on picking up the twinkies as their excerise.

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: ISO
Now where did I put my fiddle? He seems to fail to mention some of those jocks who were successful in high school, and went on to have great jobs. A lot of the people who write stuff like that are the ones who got picked on, or the ones who got cut from the team and were bitter ...
Maybe stupid jocks are the ones that make fun of the geeks while the smart jocks are better than that?

Either way, the article was pretty funny.. I never take Maddox seriously though.