Mad Men's Final Season

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Started last night, did anyone watch? Thought last season really left a lot to be desired so I'm hoping it finishes well. Seasonal first episodes for this show usually don't resonate well with me, but I thought last night's opener was fairly good. Had lots of Don, enough of Pete, Joan and Roger to satisfy me, and poor Ken who looks like he'll be the butt of some jokes this season. Will be interesting to see if they go from NY to Cali throughout the show. Hopefully we can finally get away from Betty and Don's kids but I doubt it. Still not sure what the deal is with Don and SC&P, but giving that sure-thing woman (Neve Campbell!) on the airplane the cold shoulder on his way to being 3000 miles away from Megan was revealing, did the leopard change his spots?

PS: Did any Cougar Town fans notice Travis in the first episode? Love the actor, but think he's too much of a baby-face to play someone on Mad Men, we'll see.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i dvr'ed it but had a lot of other stuff i wanted to watch last night so i'm going to catch up tonight.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I was completely surprised when I found out the woman on the plane was Neve Campbell.

I don't think Don is living a life of celibacy on his own in NY.

Oh, has Roger gotten into being bi?

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
1) I was completely underwhelmed with the season opener (actually, most MM season openers are shit).
2) I'm even more pissed off to find out that they've split the season "Breaking Bad style" with 7 episodes this year, and the final 7 episodes next year. UGH!
3) Did Ken really lose an eye? I must have skipped over that part last season. I thought he injured it on a GM trip, I didn't realize it was permanent damage.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I thought that looked like Neve Campbell. She still looks great.

Loved the Megan scene.

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
1) I was completely underwhelmed with the season opener (actually, most MM season openers are shit).
2) I'm even more pissed off to find out that they've split the season "Breaking Bad style" with 7 episodes this year, and the final 7 episodes next year. UGH!
3) Did Ken really lose an eye? I must have skipped over that part last season. I thought he injured it on a GM trip, I didn't realize it was permanent damage.

You're right, except for Season 4 the show hasn't really had a good opener, and only Season 2 and 4 (and 5 kinda) string together good episodes early on (IMO).

The BB-style season split is a little lame but in the long run we do get an extra episode to tell the story, and Jon Hamm gets another chance at finally getting Best Actor lol.

Guess we'll find out about Ken but yeah it seems like enough time has gone by where he shouldn't need the eye patch anymore for non-permanent damage.

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
The episode seemed to set up some interesting dominoes to be knocked over in later episodes. More Peggy is always a good thing for the show.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Loved the opening, and Megan's short skirt.

Wasn't Pete in Detroit at the end of last season?

He couldn't drive stick and backed into something in front of all the GM executives... That's Bob Benson's job now.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Loved the opening, and Megan's short skirt.

Wasn't Pete in Detroit at the end of last season?

no, he gave up on Detroit because "Bob" embarrassed him in front of Chevy. Pete was on his way to CA (still not sure why, because the nerdy dude was supposed to be going there by himself).

anyway, I finally finished the previous season today...took me about 8 months to watch through them. I agree with others that it wasn't the best, but it definitely had its moments. I did think the final episode of season 5 was particularly strong, though--with Don's confession in front of Hershey and then taking the kids to see his whorehouse upbringing.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
If George RR Martin wrote this show Peggy would wipe out the office with an Uzi.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Good episode with Sally + Don focus... Did Peggy's secretary get fired at the end?

Lou's a prick.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Never mind, I just remembered the "Rome wasn't built in a day" bullshit speech from Up in the Air with George Clooney.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
No moved around. Dawn became the office manager.

I meant Shirley with the fro. She got the "Rome wasn't built in a day" speech while walking out with Lou. Pretty sure she's fired.

Nice to see Dawn moving up.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
If this show doesn't end with Draper jumping off of a tall building in Times Square and whizzing past his ads like in the opening credits, I'll be pissed. :)

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
What was the opening scene for the series in season 1?

Lot of shows closing out by mirroring the first scene.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What was the opening scene for the series in season 1?

Lot of shows closing out by mirroring the first scene.

I think it was Don in a diner/restaurant talking about a cigarette ad (IIRC, he talks to a black waiter about what cigarettes he prefers).

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
I meant Shirley with the fro. She got the "Rome wasn't built in a day" speech while walking out with Lou. Pretty sure she's fired.

I thought she was going to be his new new secretary, after they got rearranged again.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

Nice to see Dawn moving up.

I thought Shirley was just getting the pep talk since she would be Lou's new secretary.

I agree it's nice to see Dawn moving up. She paid her dues. That was still a big thing in 1969 to put a black woman in charge of white people.

I don't think it will be Don jumping out the window at the end of the show. I would like it to be Pete.

Is Alison Brie still on the show?

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Is Alison Brie still on the show?

Presumably... She was in a 4:3 Smirnoff commercial during the show though.

We'll see about Shirley next week. She was walking out with her roses but I didn't see a box anywhere.