Macrium Reflect Issues - HDD -> SSD Clone

truepusk

Sep 9, 2010
I'm trying to move a smaller old HDD with Windows 7 (~700GB) that is pretty full (around 90%) to a new SSD that's a bit bigger (1TB).

I keep getting an error when I'm close to done (95%+): error 9: error code 1117, I/O device error.

I've ran chkdsk multiple times and it does mention that there are 4 kb in 'bad sectors'. I've ran it with /r and /f switches. I'm not really sure if it's ever able to completely remove those issues.
I also tried running macrium reflect with 'ignore bad sectors' selected and I'm still running into this issue.

At this point I'm not certain if it's a chkdks issue. I'm wondering if it could be something goofy with trying to move from an old HDD to a newer SSD or have something to do with an operation macruim is doing near the end of the operation, perhaps related to resizing the SSD partition to match. Maybe it's bad that the HDD is as full as it is. This is all speculation.

The other possibility is that it's some general IO issue related to something bad on the controller of the HDD or the motherboard, not at all related to bad sectors.

I'm thinking about copying from the Windows 7, 700 GB HDD to a different 1TB HDD first just to isolate the issue, but I wanted to check-in and ask around to see if anyone thought something else was more likely.

EDIT: I also had to enable ACHI in MoBo bios and registry in Windows before starting this operation, which took awhile to get right before I could get the system to boot with it enabled in the bios. I don't think that's related, but worth mentioning.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hmm. Honestly, if you're getting it near the end, and not immediately at the start, that seem to indicate an actual genuine error with the drive, rather than some sort of controller incompatibility or issue with enabling AHCI.

CHKDSK /F, I don't know if that maps out bad sectors. Use CrystalDiskInfo, to see how many "Pending", and "Re-allocated" sectors that you have. If those numbers are non-zero, then the drive may be on the way out.

You could try using the mfg's tools to check and repair the bad sectors, or you could simply try cloning the disk using a different piece of software (like Linux and DD_RESCUE), to a 1TB new HDD, and then from there, correct any filesystem errors on the physically good HDD, then clone that filesystem using Macrium to the SSD.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
There is the option to image the source disk and then restore it to the new drive, avoiding a latent i/o issue. Note that Macrium Reflect restore process enables you to expand or shrink partitions if the restore target is a different size to the original.

The FAQ steps through creating and restoring an image. You image the drive to a separate location and use a Windows PE environment to restore it. Here is the toc.

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/

truepusk

Sep 9, 2010
one of my colleagues recommended clonezilla for cloning bad sectors so maybe I'll give that a try.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Win7 is approaching end of support (outside of enterprise paid patching) in less than a year.

If you have a valid W7 Key for home of pro, you can use that to digitally validate a Win10 install of the same branch.

Besides, there's nothing like a fresh install of Windows :) Security on W10 is already a good improvement even today, and you can configure W10 to look/feel like you want it to. I have 100+ seats supported at a large law firm, and have been able to get even the crustiest, most resistant users to embrace W10 once I listen to them and set it up to look/feel like they're used to.

Reactions: coercitiv