MacKenzie Scott donates $4.2 billion to 384 organizations

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
A local organization, Second Harvest of the Big Bend, a food bank, is getting a piece of her donation. They have not said yet how much it is, but did say it is the largest the nonprofit has ever received. Second Harvest is an organization that does much good around here and deserves all the help it can get.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
That's a lot of garden to take care of. :beercheers:

She's always loved gardens. Even when we lived overseas in a desert she was always making sure things stayed green and productive. I've been told the garden is actually closer to 3/4s of an acre. Still a lot for someone in their 60s who has had both knees replaced. She's got grit, one of the many reasons I'm so proud of her.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pohemi and Bitek

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Finally, some good news. She made a ton of money ($24 billion) this year from her Amazon stock. I read where she's trying to push the donations out even faster.

Man, billionaire problems.

Let's remember this next time GOP proposes another tax cut for rich people because how they are so burdened and need relief.

61G5cG7mS4L._SY445_.jpg

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Man, billionaire problems.

Let's remember this next time GOP proposes another tax cut for rich people because how they are so burdened and need relief.

61G5cG7mS4L._SY445_.jpg
Rich people don't have enough money.

Poor people have too much.

A tale as old as time.

Reactions: Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
A local organization, Second Harvest of the Big Bend, a food bank, is getting a piece of her donation. They have not said yet how much it is, but did say it is the largest the nonprofit has ever received. Second Harvest is an organization that does much good around here and deserves all the help it can get.
That's awesome, I volunteered a bit with Second Harvest in Madison where I use to live. They're one of the most locally helpful foodbanks or community help orgs, with no religious strings attached like Salvation Army or the church-based foodbanks and services typically available.

Goodwill also claims non-profit status still, but they pay their execs millions and give them annual bonuses, besides doing very little to help support the towns and communities they are located in. Store profits/take are not reinvested in the community. It all goes back to corp for re-disbursement. My ex worked for one of the Goodwill locations in Madison and I learned a lot about their shit corporate policies in that time. :confused:

Goodwill's main focus is supposedly helping to find employment for people with Down Syndrome, but the reality is that many of those newly-found workers are exploited to some degree with slave wages (somehow they can offer them less-than-minimum, unfortunately) and longer hours than the program is designed for, etc.
There are worse places to donate to, sure...but there are far better in my opinion as well.

She's always loved gardens. Even when we lived overseas in a desert she was always making sure things stayed green and productive. I've been told the garden is actually closer to 3/4s of an acre. Still a lot for someone in their 60s who has had both knees replaced. She's got grit, one of the many reasons I'm so proud of her.
Yeah that is pretty cool, still holds onto where she came from and 'elbow grease'. She could obviously just hire someone to do the work for her if she only wanted a producing garden. A one-acre garden is a good amount of work.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: iRONic

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
The Goodwill stuff in your post is disturbing. I'll be researching.

Thanks

Reactions: Pohemi