Machine guns, sawed off shotguns, and silencers, oh my!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 25, 2006
I wonder. Why Machine guns? Thats a pretty dangerous weapon to let people have.

I always thought that the 2nd amendment was outdated. In those days, it didn't really matter if the people could carry guns. Even military trained personnel could only get off 3 shots a minute those days. So if a guy tried to kill people, he would basically get one shot.

But now, we're talking about civilians having machines guns that can spew out hundreds of round a minute. Assault Rifles, and such that the founding fathers could never have dreamed of. I really question if they would have put in that clause know if they knew how far weapons technology would go.

Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: tenshodo13

I always thought that the 2nd amendment was outdated. In those days, it didn't really matter if the people could carry guns. Even military trained personnel could only get off 3 shots a minute those days. So if a guy tried to kill people, he would basically get one shot.

But now, we're talking about civilians having machines guns that can spew out hundreds of round a minute. Assault Rifles, and such that the founding fathers could never have dreamed of. I really question if they would have put in that clause know if they knew how far weapons technology would go.

There's been a few hundred thousand machineguns in the US in civilian hands since 1934. There has been 1 crime committed since then with a machinegun. And it was by a cop.

These "the streets will run red with blood!" cries have ever come true.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

Have you even read the thread? People have been allowed to have machine guns in this country since they were invented, this is nothing new. Why are you so terrified of people owning machine guns? How many crimes have been committed with these evil machine guns recently? You are either A) showing a completely irrational fear of machine guns with absolutely nothing to back it up, or B) You have some damning statistics showing that these "machine gun" owners commit crimes at an abnormally high rate, completely validating your fear of these evil weapons. Which is it? Feel free to throw an option C in there, but please back it up with something other than emotion and fear.

Seriously people, with all of the problems that this country currently has, a law abiding citizen owning a "machine gun" should be the least of our concerns.

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: JD50

Have you even read the thread? People have been allowed to have machine guns in this country since they were invented, this is nothing new. Why are you so terrified of people owning machine guns? How many crimes have been committed with these evil machine guns recently? You are either A) showing a completely irrational fear of machine guns with absolutely nothing to back it up, or B) You have some damning statistics showing that these "machine gun" owners commit crimes at an abnormally high rate, completely validating your fear of these evil weapons. Which is it? Feel free to throw an option C in there, but please back it up with something other than emotion and fear.

Seriously people, with all of the problems that this country currently has, a law abiding citizen owning a "machine gun" should be the least of our concerns.

Actually, I once got a loaded Machine gun pointed at me. Got into a fight with a guy at a backroad when he almost drove me off the road. He got into his trunk, took his gun out, safety off, pulled the bolt, and pointed it at me.

I quietly went back to my car and let him drive off. But I reported his License plate to the police, and when they arrested him, they said that he had a permit, so they couldn't get him on Gun possession. Also, I had no evidence of any fight taking place, so he got to go off scot free.

Looking down the barrel of a gun held by a angry man is a scary feeling.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
There hasn't really been a long history of cheap and plentiful machine guns to really test crime rate theories has there? If I was a thug tho, I'd rather have a $300 AK-47 to roll with than a pussy 9mm. Iraq's flooded with w/ AKs and its not getting any safer.

Personally I don't care what Kansas does. Let them be the lab rats. I've owned guns, shot them at an early age, have went hunting with them, and very occasionally go to the gun range w/ my brother. Overall I think gun collecting a gay and useless hobby.

What the hell is anyone going to do with machine guns when they are not good hunting weapons, and most gun ranges won't allow them to be fired off rapidly? You spend all this money on something you can't even use? WTF, gay. Oh but I can spend hundreds or thousands on guns to take to the gun range to poke holes in paper from a long way away. Its fun maybe once a year.
I went with some people shooting once in the backwoods years ago. Guy had a converted Semi auto that fired full auto (was like an AK.) Before we left we fired off the 100 round drum in less than a min at a woodpile. Other than the juvenile fun of blowing the shit of the stack of branches, its a huge waste of money and a ton of ammo. No way I'd keep one in the house w/ kids for them to get out and screw around with. Locked up of guns are easy enough to get out if kids are not too dumb or uncrafty. If you want ot have one, fine, but your hobby is lame.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

Actually, I once got a loaded Machine gun pointed at me. Got into a fight with a guy at a backroad when he almost drove me off the road. He got into his trunk, took his gun out, safety off, pulled the bolt, and pointed it at me.

I quietly went back to my car and let him drive off. But I reported his License plate to the police, and when they arrested him, they said that he had a permit, so they couldn't get him on Gun possession. Also, I had no evidence of any fight taking place, so he got to go off scot free.

I'll bet my next paycheck that he didn't point an actual machinegun at you.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

First of all, nice anecdotal story. Permit or not, it is illegal to point a gun at someone....

By the way, what kind of "machine gun" was this? Anyways, have you had any luck finding some stats to prove how dangerous machine guns are?

Edited to be a little nicer.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Well that was sort of my point. The ANTI-machine gun folks are displaying some weird priorities, but then again, so are the folks who seem to devote every waking moment to ensuring that every American has the right to own the most lethal firearms they possibly can.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Rainsford

Well that was sort of my point. The ANTI-machine gun folks are displaying some weird priorities, but then again, so are the folks who seem to devote every waking moment to ensuring that every American has the right to own the most lethal firearms they possibly can.

Once again I find it odd that you choose to focus on the people that are obsessed with preserving their rights, instead of those obsessed with taking them away. If you didn't have the rabid anti gun folks then you wouldn't have the rabid pro gun folks. You can't say the opposite is true, because if it wasn't for the rabid pro gun crowd, the gun grabbers would probably have won long ago.

On a side note, why is it that you are SO annoyed with the pro 2nd amendment crowd as opposed to other groups? You have people on this very board that are just as insane about other rights, but I don't ever see you speaking out against them. For example, the people that are rabidly against us keeping terrorists at Gitmo without charging them in a US court are more annoying (IMO) than the gun nuts.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Once again I find it odd that you choose to focus on the people that are obsessed with preserving their rights, instead of those obsessed with taking them away. If you didn't have the rabid anti gun folks then you wouldn't have the rabid pro gun folks. You can't say the opposite is true, because if it wasn't for the rabid pro gun crowd, the gun grabbers would probably have won long ago.

On a side note, why is it that you are SO annoyed with the pro 2nd amendment crowd as opposed to other groups? You have people on this very board that are just as insane about other rights, but I don't ever see you speaking out against them. For example, the people that are rabidly against us keeping terrorists at Gitmo without charging them in a US court are more annoying (IMO) than the gun nuts.

Basically it's because I admire fighting for freedoms and rights for their own sake, the pro-gun rights movement seems a little too much about some folks just liking guns. Which is great, I don't mind people liking guns, I'm just not sure we should pretend it's a more noble cause than it really is. Particularly when those same folks frequently display a complete lack of concern about any OTHER freedoms.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

Basically it's because I admire fighting for freedoms and rights for their own sake, the pro-gun rights movement seems a little too much about some folks just liking guns. Which is great, I don't mind people liking guns, I'm just not sure we should pretend it's a more noble cause than it really is. Particularly when those same folks frequently display a complete lack of concern about any OTHER freedoms.

Well, I would rather them just not be concerned with "other freedoms" (which I'm not quite sure is accurate, but there's no point in arguing that right now) then actively fight against other freedoms like many people do that are staunchly in favor of the 1st amendment. I've seen plenty of people on these forums alone that are very much in favor of the freedom of the press and free speech, yet they are all for doing away with the 2nd amendment.

Hell, I've even seen some of these anti Gitmo people going after the 2nd amendment.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
Oh man, I wish I could own guns in my country. Too bad, only the criminals have them.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Braznor
Oh man, I wish I could own guns in my country. Too bad, only the criminals have them.

Come on, if you get a vasectomy you could get one!

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

I'd like to see them sell little videocam recorders for the dashboard.

It's too bad you couldn't get him jailed for such behavior. There are some maniacs.

Hopefully, the police somehow note the incident so that it can be found as a pattern of behavior the next time, and help the police believe he's prone to do that.

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001

How did you know it was a machine gun (Implies full-auto ability)? What kind was it? How do you know the safety was off?

Would you have been any more comfortable if he'd pointed (threatened you with) a shotgun, bolt-action rifle, muzzle-loading musket, Cap & Ball pistol, crossbow, BB gun ("It'll put your eye out!"), Slingshot, or long sword at you?

What specifically made you more nervous that it was a MACHINE GUN (if it was)?

Why did you feel compelled to get out of your car and threaten and assault this person, instead of calling him in an as a reckless driver?

Since you apparently could have been one of those wild-eyed whacko gun-toting freaks, perhaps he felt justified in defending himself.

It would be interesting to hear his side of the story.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Originally posted by: ScottMac

How did you know it was a machine gun (Implies full-auto ability)? What kind was it? How do you know the safety was off?

Would you have been any more comfortable if he'd pointed (threatened you with) a shotgun, bolt-action rifle, muzzle-loading musket, Cap & Ball pistol, crossbow, BB gun ("It'll put your eye out!"), Slingshot, or long sword at you?

What specifically made you more nervous that it was a MACHINE GUN (if it was)?

Why did you feel compelled to get out of your car and threaten and assault this person, instead of calling him in an as a reckless driver?

Since you apparently could have been one of those wild-eyed whacko gun-toting freaks, perhaps he felt justified in defending himself.

It would be interesting to hear his side of the story.

:thumbsup: I once too was assulted by a person who was carrying a machine gun. You see, when I was a kid a friend of mine and myself decided we didnt like the drug dealers across the street so we kept notes/tabs on them, and noted the "pimp" who supplied the drugs and knew who it was. So when he came in for a delivery, we went in to destroy his car (and steal his supply of drugs).... Unfortunately a drug using neighbhor discovered us breaking into his car and produced a MACHINE GUN which he prompted pointed at us, and said "Don't move I have a gun." I froze like a dead chicken, my friend ran away. I got beat up, my head smashed through the window of this car, and was let go (who's going to call the cops?)...

Anyways, I later discovered this man had no gun... But it was sure scary at the time to get a MACHINE GUN pointed at my noggin.

(seriously thoough that is a semi true story)

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Here is an idea. Dont stop on backroads to fight people over a driving incident.
The guy could have got into his truck and run you over. Would you call for the banning of cars?