Question MacBook Repair

vines.shetty

Sep 8, 2022
I recently got a MacBook, but am a little worried about the servicing and repair costs, since the laptop is pricey as hell. Was wondering if I should go ahead with one of these coverage plans? Recommendations welcome

igor_kavinski

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2020
Get AppleCare if you don't want your money going to waste after the initial "free" warranty period ends. It may save you from buying a new one coz out of warranty repairs can end up costing a LOT. Companies wait like wolves to prey on their customer's time of need. LG wanted $200 to repair my TV that I got for $300, one week after warranty expired and it refused to turn on.

igor_kavinski

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2020
Planned obsolescence.
From reports on the internet, it seemed the motherboard had bad soldered connections. Putting it in an oven and heating to 300 degrees (forget if it was F or C), would resolder the connections and the damn thing would start working. I didn't wanna go to all that trouble. Gave it to a guy for free who allegedly took it to his home country to see if it could be repaired. Didn't hear from him again. He probably threw it in the trash when he heard what the cost would be for taking it along on the plane. Afterwards, all TV's I bought were more than $500 in price. None of them failed and I kept using and selling them a year or so later until I got my current OLED.

ASK THE COMMUNITY