Macbook Pro extension base

Discussion in 'All Things Apple' started by Kaido, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Kaido

Kaido Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Macbook extension base Forum Date
    Which processor is better: 2017 MacBook Air's Core i5 vs 2017 MacBook 's Core M3 Kaby Lake version? All Things Apple Oct 4, 2017
    Macbook Hardware Update Schedule All Things Apple Oct 3, 2017
    Updated old unsupported 2009 MacBook Pro to 10.13 High Sierra. Works perfectly! All Things Apple Sep 3, 2017
    MacBook Pro Dongle Nightmare All Things Apple Jul 8, 2017
    Does Tunnelbear (VPN) chrome extension work well on MAC? All Things Apple Jun 18, 2016

3. KeithP

KeithP Diamond Member

How does the base connect to the MBP? Those pictures don't show a cable. Are they misrepresenting the device and not showing the cable so they can have pretty press pictures (say that 5 times fast) or do they remove the bottom case of the MBP and connect in some other fashion (seems unlikely)?

-KeithP

4. Kaido

Not much info yet:

https://www.owcdigital.com/DEC/

http://blog.macsales.com/39345-owc-makes-macbooks-pro-again-with-game-changing-product

They did say it will be flush with the bottom of the new MBP. Maybe it's magnetic or something. I'd imagine they'll make a custom slim Thunderbolt connector that snaps into the side. Would be curious to see if they plan on adding an optical drive like a Bluray writer.

5. phexac

phexac Senior member

It's a magical transformation that turns 2016 MBP into 2010 MBP ;)

Kaido likes this.
  6. manly

manly Diamond Member

On the right side, we can see a single USB type C port. Considering there are already 4 such ports on the MBP itself, it would reason that the base connects here. They also don't bother to show USB A and Ethernet ports. On the rear?

I'd never buy one of these things, and I realize this isn't the final product but the fit and finish from the sides doesn't look very good.

7. phexac

phexac Senior member

I would never travel with something like this. At home, a far better solution would be the ports in a Thunderbolt display and a NAS setup for extra storage.

8. Tegeril

Tegeril Platinum Member

Saw a CES video for it... on the right side where that USB-C port is, there is an "arm" that connects the two USB-C ports together, then you remove the screws from the bottom of the MBP and it comes with screws that go all the way through to the laptop to hold the base of the laptop between the laptop and this case :\

This product is *terrible*.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUe2KAwvZsA

9. Kaido

Ah! Good catch:

[​IMG]

10. Kaido

I don't think the concept is bad, but it depends on the execution. Currently it adds 4 items:

1. Regular USB ports
    2. SD reader
    3. Ethernet port
    4. Up to 4TB of storage

They said they've been developing this for 3 years. iirc they also said that the design is not finalized. If it were me, I'd add two or even three 2.5" bays in that puppy, as well as an extended battery (if not to power the laptop, then at least to power the accessories...Seagate's wireless hard drive's battery powers it for 6 hours), plus a Bluray writer, plus a scad of ports like their Thunderbolt dock has:

https://www.owcdigital.com/products/thunderbolt/thunderbolt-3-dock-overview

OWC does make quality stuff...I've purchased many of their products over the years, they make good equipment...I'm just very interested to see how this comes to market in terms of finalized features, and especially at what price point. I mean, you can add all of that stuff very easily & without much bulk, no problem. Samsung makes a tiny 2TB USB SSD for under $800:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AVF6UHK/

[​IMG]

You can buy a multi-port USB 3.1c adapter for under $100:

[​IMG]

I'd imagine that the OWC DEC chassis will be a pretty pricey unit...plus you still need to buy storage for it...versus just carrying around a couple of compact adapters. I mean, they added an Ethernet port to the chassis, which means they're assuming you're going to be sitting down somewhere with access to an Ethernet-connected network or NAS device, so you'll probably have power, so you'd have to carry around your laptop charger too, so you'd need a bag, and the SSD & port adapter above are about the same size as the MBP power brick, so...yeah.

Neat idea tho!

11. Gooberlx2

Gooberlx2 Lifer

I think the concept is fine. Additional storage and ports is great but, imo, I'd definitely expect supplemental battery life as well if I'm adding significant thickness to a laptop. Without that, I probably wouldn't buy it.

edit: Jesus Christ. At possibly ~$1400 I wouldn't remotely consider it anyway unless it fell off a truck.

#10 Gooberlx2, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  12. Kaido

Hoooooooly monkey:

I can't imagine a situation where that price would be justified, vs. just having a pocketable 2.5" 4TB SSD in a USB 3.1c/Tbolt enclosure. Maybe if they add an aux battery that can power your laptop for an extra 6 hours or something. And add a Bluray writer. And a second 2.5" bay. Dang...

13. Rubycon

Rubycon Madame President

Why???

If you want something big, heavy, and clunky just buy a typical Chinese plastic PC.

Here!

:D