Macbook One in hot temperatures

v-600

Nov 1, 2010
We're approaching that time of the year in Kathmandu when it starting to get too hot, people get sweaty and grouchy, and laptop cooling fans start to scream (and give up/restart/run away crying when used in direct sunlight).

I'm intrigued by the macbook one (probably not this model but its upgrade depending on the processor/storage/hopefully larger 14" model that might follow) and wondered how well they cope in hotter climates (30-40 C - no idea what that is in F sorry).

All it can do is throttle down and down until it has to turn off. I guess all my mpb can do is spin the fans up and up, then throttle the processor down similar to the mbo and the macbook produces less heat anyway.

Just wondered if anybody has any experience of the macbook in hot climates?

rugby

Oct 11, 2001
Yeah, it gets hot and shuts down. I had that happen last summer when working at a cafe in the direct sun.

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003
I would say hot and shut down are not the most common thing in even notable heat. I had no trouble using mine while traveling in Cambodia in the vicinity of 30C. It certainly downclocked (noted by decreased performance) but continued to perform.

Direct sun is hard to combat though.

v-600

Nov 1, 2010
Direct sun is horrible for devices. My SP3 just gives up after a short while of heavy use (one of the cons of being a large black screen). Under light load the fans keep things under control with a lot of noise though.

I was doing a bit of research and apple put the upper operating temperatures of their laptops at 35C. Not sure if that means its guaranteed to work normally to that point and then degrade performance, or if that means its going to slowly throttle to that point and then give up at 35C.