Macbook audio suddenly grayed out

Phil4All

Jan 23, 2016
Hey guys. I picked up an early 2008 macbook unibody for fairly cheap from a guy on CL a couple days ago, and today I noticed the audio wasn't working. I tested it the first day I had it, and it worked fine. I had read that this can sometimes be a problem with the headphone port, so I checked the port and I have no idea what I'm looking at. The port looks like it was pulled outward somehow and I can't even put a 3.5 mm cord in there. It's completely blocked. So, I guess this is a 2 part question. First question: anybody know what the heck happened here? I can't even tell, and I didn't wanna tear the thing down trying to find out. Second question would be, has anyone encountered the speaker mute issue and found out a workaround? I obviously can't plug in headphones and take them out (which some people say solves the problem.) but they 2ere working fine the other day so I don't know what happened. If it means anything, I can hear the boot chime when I turn it on, I just can't get the volume injured, it seems.

I've also posted a picture of the headphone port so you can see.

https://flic.kr/p/JvRUzw

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
OK, it looks like there is a broken off bit of an old headphone jack stuck in there.

As to how to extract that?? No idea.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
OK, it looks like there is a broken off bit of an old headphone jack stuck in there.

As to how to extract that?? No idea.

This happened to me on another device. What I did was use a cheap headphone jack, put a tiny, I mean TINY, amount of superglue on the tip, push jack in, wait a couple of hours, and pull it out. If done right the glue will adhere to the broken bit and come out with the jack.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
You should be able to set the sound output to the internal speakers.

System Preferences > Sound > Output > Internal Speakers

And as Oyeve suggested, something like putting a paperclip end in some super glue then sticking on the broken headphone jack connector should get it out.