Macbook Air Rev B not turning on after HD Swap

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
So I used ifixits instructions to swap in a new hard drive because my 4200 RPM hard drive was dead or dying and now the MBA wont boot up. What do I do now?! Did something bad happen? I've swapped in a hd on an ibook that required way more work and that went just fine. I wonder what I could've done this time around.:confused:

The battery light with the computer plugged in is Green though I'm pretty sure the battery should be run down at this point. What do I do?!

Nothing happens when pressing the power button. ERP

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
pressing the power doesnt do anything currently, but tried it and nothing happened. Cant get this thing running...hrmmmm....AAAAAAAAAAGH

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Is it still under warranty, have you tried taking it to the Apple Store?

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004
Definitely not under warranty. Especially after I opened it up

Unless you broke any stickers that said 'Warranty Void if removed' then no, the warranty is still valid.

However, if the warranty has expired based on time, then that is another issue. They will probably check it out for free, at least they always have for me.

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
So get this guys, I plug in the old hard drive, and the machine comes to life. Does this mean I have a defective drive? I thought SSDs are bulletproof. This one did have to make it to the states from ireland though.

My last 3 digits of my serial are 22E so I know its a Rev B machine and that this 1.8" LIF Sata drive is the right one.

Last edited:

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004
As far as shake rattle and roll damage goes, the SSD should be pretty bulletproof, but that doesn't disallow the possibility of it being bad from the factory.

I would suggest returning the SSD and getting another one.

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
its just something I picked up in college. Its meant to be left up to your interpretation. Much more mysterious that way ;)

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
you probably got the wrong ssd or put the lif in backwards? send it back.

i have a B too. Don't mind the hard drive it gets far worse battery life with an off the shelf ssd (It's true). You want to sell it really cheap ;)

love my air's just wish you could mount a retina wuxga screen on it

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
why don't you just sell the B and upgrade to a new fancy one with ssd.

i've got a 2.13ghz ssd and 1.6 rev.b 4200 sata. i must say the ssd is mostly faster but not a deal killer. i like the extra runtime you get with the sata