Macbook Air - No audio in chrome after closing/opening lid

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
I've been searching for this issue on the net but cannot seem to find anybody who has this problem. About 75% of the time after I close the lid and walk away for a few minutes and then reopen the lid and try to watch anything with audio in chrome (youtube, etc.) the audio does not work. I have to close chrome completely but then it always freezes, so I option+command+escape and force close chrome. After relaunching the audio will return as normal.

This is really ticking me off about my new macbook air (first time mac user). Especially how everything is just supposed to magically work and be amazing.

Chrome is running the latest version. I did hear chrome was causing them to crash a few months ago but that's supposed to be fixed.

Any ideas?

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Is your Apple OS software up to date?

Still within warranty?

Yep all up to date. Still within warranty. I've only had it a few weeks but it's done this since day one. Everything else is flawless. I'm starting to think it's some extension I have that's causing the issue. I've also downloaded chrome canary to see if this happens there as well.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Yep all up to date. Still within warranty. I've only had it a few weeks but it's done this since day one. Everything else is flawless. I'm starting to think it's some extension I have that's causing the issue. I've also downloaded chrome canary to see if this happens there as well.

I know it's a PITA, have you considered reformatting and doing a clean OS install, install Chrome stable version and manually adding extensions one by one?

It will take time and is a huge PITA but you're probably right, most likely software related.

CA19100

Jun 29, 2012
A troubleshooting step to try first: create a new, clean user account, and see if the behavior occurs under that account. If not, then you'll know it's something specific to your user account, which might help troubleshoot it more easily.

joshhedge

Nov 19, 2011
I have the same issue on my rPro. I've just resorted to use Safari and Firefox over Chrome.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Yea seriously, unless you are syncing your bookmarks or tabs or whatever, no reason to not use Safari, much nicer.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Other people are reporting the same thing. I doubt it is a problem with your system. According to an Apple support doc, on portables, audio in and out are powered off during sleep. This doesn't happen on desktops and I am guessing it is the source of Chrome's bug.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2412

-KeithP

JavaMomma

Oct 19, 2000
It's also happening on my 2011 Macbook Pro with Chrome.
Safari is fortunately pretty good...

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
I am syncing everything with chrome. Tabs, extensions, bookmarks and it is awesome. I respect safari and I realize it has some cooler functions and effects in OS X than chrome does but I'm in the google ecosystem, what can I say.

Good to see other people are having the same issue. Funny enough running chrome canary I have not had this same problem. Bad news is you can't make canary the default web browser so using it when every link you open in email and other places opens up regular chrome is futile.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
I am syncing everything with chrome. Tabs, extensions, bookmarks and it is awesome. I respect safari and I realize it has some cooler functions and effects in OS X than chrome does but I'm in the google ecosystem, what can I say.

Good to see other people are having the same issue. Funny enough running chrome canary I have not had this same problem. Bad news is you can't make canary the default web browser so using it when every link you open in email and other places opens up regular chrome is futile.

Why can't you make Canary the default browser?

I know this sounds crazy, but have you tried making it the default from within Safari? IIRC, from within Safari's preferences, you can choose the default browser.