Mac OS X Annoyance: Multiple Windows of an Application

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Coming from Windows, I like how they treat each window instance as a separate application in the taskbar. For example, if I'm working on two Word documents, a quick alt-tab can get me to switch or a quick click of the mouse can get me between these two documents.

On the Mac, only the application's icon shows up and I don't get the granular option of switching to Doc 1 or Doc 2 by in Word by merely clicking on the taskbar. Yes, I can do Cmd + ` to switch between windows within an application. But it can get confusing when I have 2 Word documents open, 2 Chrome windows opened and am switching constantly between the 4 windows.

Is there an easy way to switch between windows like how Windows handles it? Or do I have to use a different workflow?

I'm on a 13" MacBook so resizing to have 2 documents visible at once makes it too small to see comfortably.

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003
App Expose: swipe down with three fingers

and depending on the situation

Mission Control: swipe up with three fingers.

If you have a Magic Mouse you can get that functionality as well.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
You'll need to adapt your workflow and bring expose into it as these fine folks have posted.

el-Capitan

Apr 24, 2012
Wow. I used a Mac for five years and could never figure this out. Now its sold and I'm back at Windows. Haha!

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Once you get use to expose, you won't want to go back. You can have exposé switch between all app wi does or just the current app you are using. There is/was a cheap app called Switch that mimiced how alt-tab works on windows...but I have always liked exposé better.

Reliant

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Honestly, this exact type of workflow is why I prefer OSX to Windows. Command + tilde is much easier and quicker for me than clicking with mouse in task bar. I'd say don't try to Windows up your Mac and you might have an easier time.

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try expose. But that now that requires 2 movements just to switch to a specific window: the swipe -> pause for expose to come up to show all the windows -> select the desired window. It seems to be taking longer just to do a simple thing.

And I still prefer to use a mouse to the trackpad. Any suggestions on how I can switch windows easily without taking my hand off the mouse to swipe for expose?

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try expose. But that now that requires 2 movements just to switch to a specific window: the swipe -> pause for expose to come up to show all the windows -> select the desired window. It seems to be taking longer just to do a simple thing.

And I still prefer to use a mouse to the trackpad. Any suggestions on how I can switch windows easily without taking my hand off the mouse to swipe for expose?

Do you have extra buttons on the mouse? You can use a utility like steermouse to remap them to things like app expose.

Or CMD+Tab and then CMD+~.

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Thanks, I'll try the mouse button trick.

I also made Mission Control (or Expose in past OS versions) a hot corner so that it'll be active when I move my mouse to the bottom left corner. I'll try and see how it gets implemented into my workflow. Other suggestions welcomed.

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004
Thanks, I'll try the mouse button trick.

I also made Mission Control (or Expose in past OS versions) a hot corner so that it'll be active when I move my mouse to the bottom left corner. I'll try and see how it gets implemented into my workflow. Other suggestions welcomed.

My best suggestion is actually to ditch the mouse, the trackpad is SOOOOO good on Macs. Plus gestures!

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
cmd+~
cmd+tab
4 finger expose

= ultimate window management

nd I still prefer to use a mouse to the trackpad. Any suggestions on how I can switch windows easily without taking my hand off the mouse to swipe for expose?

get an apple input device that allows for multi-touch gestures.

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004
cmd+~
cmd+tab
4 finger expose

= ultimate window management

get an apple input device that allows for multi-touch gestures.

The Magic Mouse? Bump that.

slashbinslashbash

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
I have been using hot corners since the first implementation of Expose. Bottom right = desktop, bottom left = show all apps/windows. The great thing is that you can click and drag on stuff, and hold onto it while you use the hot corners. Like if you need to move a document from one folder to another, you can click it, drag your mouse to the bottom right or left corner, and drop it on the desktop or in a desktop folder (desktop expose), or a folder that you already have open (all apps/windows expose).

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Get a magic trackpad. you will be manipulating windows like the guy in Minority report. Its bad ass, especially with 10.8

Nothing on windows compares if your a big multitasker and have a shit load of stuff open.