Mac folks -- Can you use the IMAC Monitor with a PC

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
I'm looking at those new iMAC's with the nice 20" screen embedded and wondering if I could use the iMAC as an external display? ie hook a PC or Laptop up to it.

I would imagine a lot of folks want to dock their mac laptops to it, so that they would make it possible to use it as an external display doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Anyone know the answer to this?

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Originally posted by: theman
i dont understand why you dont just get an lcd monitor... :confused:

um, because i want a MAC and if I could use it as a second display for my PC system that would be a really big plus

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000

I need a MAC either way because I'm getting into music and video editing and frankly pc's suck for both.

So I have two options:

Buy an iMAC w/ 20" display for less than $2000

Buy a powerMAC plus a 20" display for closer to $3000.

I would rather save $1000 if at all possible.

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Originally posted by: CitizenDoug

I need a MAC either way because I'm getting into music and video editing and frankly pc's suck for both.

So I have two options:

Buy an iMAC w/ 20" display for less than $2000

Buy a powerMAC plus a 20" display for closer to $3000.

I would rather save $1000 if at all possible.

Not to mention those iMACS are sexy as hell ;)

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
you could get a powermac or powerbook than buy an lcd for the pc and it would work for your mac and pc. if you wanted to waste money you could buy an apple display and run that with your mac and pc also. the best way would be to get a pc monitor and use it with your mac yes this is possible if you didnt know.

some lcd's you may want to look at:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod...&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4221&link_number=
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod...n&cs=19&category_id=2999&page=external
http://accessories.gateway.com/Accessor.../7005483_proddetail?seg=hm&cmpid=index

these would all work great on a mac if you are deciding between the 2005fpw and the gateway get the gateway its newer and has better specs.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001

um, because i want a MAC and if I could use it as a second display for my PC system that would be a really big plus

I'd bet a million dollars you already have a MAC.

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey

lol, owned.

haha, mac's are cool but i hate it when they think mac's are better than any pc out there and pc's suck the truth is hardware wise pc's are better the only thing apple has going for them is software for there pc's that is how they get people to buy them. The other thing that doesnt really count is they have style take a look at the pictures of everyone of there products its like art.

mdchesne

Banned
Feb 27, 2005
i don't think so. the mac lcd connectors are inside the case (i think), so to use the
screen for an external source, you'd need to do some hardmodding which would
render the Mac OS part of that system useless

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Originally posted by: mdchesne
i don't think so. the mac lcd connectors are inside the case (i think), so to use the
screen for an external source, you'd need to do some hardmodding which would
render the Mac OS part of that system useless

ahh the first attempt at a useful contribution. thank you :)

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Originally posted by: w00t

lol, owned.

haha, mac's are cool but i hate it when they think mac's are better than any pc out there and pc's suck the truth is hardware wise pc's are better the only thing apple has going for them is software for there pc's that is how they get people to buy them. The other thing that doesnt really count is they have style take a look at the pictures of everyone of there products its like art.

Personally I think they are equal. I use both.

I use the PC for word processing and internet browsing (and would play games with it if i had the time or interest).

I use the Mac, currently the one at my school since I don't have my own, for video and music editing.

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000

lol, owned.

If you that that is ownage I could own you to hard your.. well, lets leave it at that ;)

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
you could get a powermac or powerbook than buy an lcd for the pc and it would work for your mac and pc. if you wanted to waste money you could buy an apple display and run that with your mac and pc also. the best way would be to get a pc monitor and use it with your mac yes this is possible if you didnt know.

some lcd's you may want to look at:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod...&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4221&link_number=
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod...n&cs=19&category_id=2999&page=external
http://accessories.gateway.com/Accessor.../7005483_proddetail?seg=hm&cmpid=index

these would all work great on a mac if you are deciding between the 2005fpw and the gateway get the gateway its newer and has better specs.

Well, as a stated before, the price of a powermac alone is the same price as an iMAC w/ a 20" LCD embedded in it.

Since an iMAC (but not a mini or powerbook) is all I need, it would not be a good value.

And if I were going to get another LCD display, I would get the HP 23" external display. I would never buy anything from Dell and would rather not from Gateway.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
If you that that is ownage I could own you to hard your.. [/b]well, lets leave it at that[/b] ;)

That's all I understood from that post. :confused:

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
I'm looking at those new iMAC's with the nice 20" screen embedded and wondering if I could use the iMAC as an external display? ie hook a PC or Laptop up to it.

I would imagine a lot of folks want to dock their mac laptops to it, so that they would make it possible to use it as an external display doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Anyone know the answer to this?

Anyways, it would appear that the answer to this question is "no," for future reference.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello
CitizenDoug, why are you always quoting yourself in your own threads?

For post count +1.
Or his edit button doesn't work.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Then just get a mac mini and up the ram + external HD + LCD to use for both the mini and your pc.

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000

I don't know why are you stalking me :eek:

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Lonyo

For post count +1.
Or his edit button doesn't work.

Now seriously, if I gave a sh!t about my postcount, would I have posted less than 1000 posts in the five years that I have been here?

It would appear you, with close to 10,000 and posting useless drivel like the comment above, are the one that cares about their post count ;)

:roll: :roll: :roll: