Lynne Cheney says Obama and Dick Cheney are cousins!

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/200...litics_cheney_obama_dc

Cheney and Obama are distant cousins: Mrs. Cheney

There's no sign of a family reunion planned, but U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney and Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama are distant cousins.

So says the vice president's wife, Lynne Cheney, who said she discovered that her husband of 43 years is eighth cousins with the senator from Illinois.

The two men could hardly be more different. Cheney is an advocate for pursuing the war in Iraq to try to stabilize the country, while Obama wants to get U.S. troops out of Iraq.

Mrs. Cheney told MSNBC on Tuesday that it was "an amazing American story that one ancestor ... could be responsible down the family line for lives that have taken such different and varied paths."

The common ancestor was Mareen Devall, who the Chicago Sun-Times said was a 17th century immigrant from France.

Mrs. Cheney said she discovered the link through family research for her new book, "Blue Skies, No Fences," about growing up in Wyoming.

I guess we really don't know Dick.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
... goddammit. now i'm not so sure i'll vote for obama... and it has less to do with the fact that i don't like cheney and more to do with these "coincidental" connections these people in power seem to have, lately.

i gotta find out how distant...

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Next we will be told by Lynn that Dick Cheney is really the black sheep of the family.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
8th cousins? That's pretty freaking meaningless - there's probably several 8th cousins on this board alone...

If you go back far enough, we're all cousins - current estimates point everyone alive today being descendant from a single person who lived ~60000 years ago.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: eits
... goddammit. now i'm not so sure i'll vote for obama... and it has less to do with the fact that i don't like cheney and more to do with these "coincidental" connections these people in power seem to have, lately.

i gotta find out how distant...

Um...eighth?

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
400 years ago? Isn't 1/8th of the Western Hemisphere related within about that ratio?

Besides, we're all related genetically, anyway.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
I read something similar regarding GWB and Colin Powell a few years ago. Though in their case, they both traced their ancestry back a few hundred years into the British royal family.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: aka1nas
I read something similar regarding GWB and Colin Powell a few years ago. Though in their case, they both traced their ancestry back a few hundred years into the British royal family.

i think bush only needs to go back 4 generations, i think to victoria. the queen is his second cousin or some such nonsense

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Next we will be told by Lynn that Dick Cheney is really the black sheep of the family.

Actually, according to the local news station tonight, Obama's campaign is reported to have said that every family has it's own black sheep...;)

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Originally posted by: Lemon law

Actually, according to the local news station tonight, Obama's campaign is reported to have said that every family has it's own black sheep...;)
Can't we all just get along?
I heard Cheney invited Obama to go hunting with him.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
According to an article in this morning's paper (which had more details) they are eighth cousins. This is a pretty far out degree of relationship-it means little more than they are both members of the human race (if Ms. Cheney's research is to be believed).

I liked the response from the Obama camp "Every family has a black sheep."

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I have been in somewhat bafflement over his whole theory of relativity. In the case of Albert, all he had to do to demonstrate validity is to demonstrate light includes in gravitational fields. Ipso ergo critics vanish and E= mc squared. End of story.

Now here we are, nearly a century later, trying to demonstrate a new theory of relativity by that esteemed moral philosopher Lynne Cheney who may be a a nobody, but is lucky enough to marry into dubious royalty.

So what we have is a Lynne Cheney theory and a lack of a theoretical test.

But this is a no brainer says I. Lynne Cheney will be totally vindicated when Dick Cheney, Barack Obama, and Larry Craig, all unite, kiss and make up, in that cubicle in Minneapolis.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
my first reaction was, did cheney's ancestor own slaves? not trying to be funny, but was that non-pc to assume most rich people used to have ancestors who owne slaves?

at anyrate, aren't john kerry and bush related too?

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Pepsei
my first reaction was, did cheney's ancestor own slaves? not trying to be funny, but was that non-pc to assume most rich people used to have ancestors who owne slaves?

Why would anyone who has done 1 second of reading on Obama's background assume that Cheney's ancestors owned slave and that is where the lineage is related. A correct reading is that the relation is through his mother who came from the mid-west and is white not his father who came from Africa.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Maybe Cheney can get Obama to join the dark side with him.

Dont underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Wa Ha ha .....

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: PELarson
Originally posted by: Pepsei

Why would anyone who has done 1 second of reading on Obama's background assume that Cheney's ancestors owned slave and that is where the lineage is related. A correct reading is that the relation is through his mother who came from the mid-west and is white not his father who came from Africa.

a very bad joke? and someone who doesn't know anything about obama at all.