Lyndon Johnson Aides Angry at History Channel JFK Documentary

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Hmmm, let's check the score: "Slanderous" Reagan movie dropped by CBS, "Absurd Smear" of Lyndon Johnson still runs on History Channel. I blame the conservative media bias! :p

Lyndon Johnson Aides Angry at History Channel JFK Documentary

LOS ANGELES ? A television documentary claiming Lyndon B. Johnson (search) helped plot the Kennedy assassination (search) was condemned as an absurd smear by Johnson's family and former staff members.

A History Channel (search) film that aired Monday alleges that then-Vice President Johnson and members of his staff were responsible for President Kennedy's 1963 killing, said LBJ Foundation Chairman Tom Johnson, no relation to the former president.

"I do not know of a greater injustice to the reputation of a former president -- especially to be on The History Channel," Tom Johnson, who worked in the Johnson White House, said in an interview Tuesday.

He and Jack Valenti, another former Johnson staff member and current president of the Motion Picture Association of America, issued a joint statement on behalf of the Johnson family and others.

"Sadly, President Johnson and the staff members who are wrongly smeared by the conspiracy theorists are no longer alive to defend themselves," the statement said. "In televising this production, The History Channel has distorted history beyond recognition."

It was the second recent TV project about a former president to draw criticism. CBS yanked its November miniseries "The Reagans" (search) after supporters of former President Reagan said it distorted his legacy while he suffers Alzheimer's disease.

The latest program aired as part of an umbrella series titled "The Men Who Killed Kennedy," a package of documentaries about various conspiracy theories regarding Kennedy's death, said channel spokeswoman Lynn Gardner.

The films in "The Men Who Killed Kennedy" series are from producer Nigel Turner and have aired before on cable TV, channel spokeswoman Gardner said. Monday's film, titled "The Guilty Men," was based in part on the book "Blood, Money & Power: How L.B.J. Killed J.F.K." by Barr McClellan, she said.

"The History Channel does not say that any of these theories are correct nor does not in any way say that the theory in this program is correct," the channel said in a statement. "We are, however, presenting a point of view that has been meticulously researched.

"By presenting different viewpoints we enable our viewers to decide to agree or disagree with them and to arrive at their own conclusions," the channel said.

Kennedy was shot in Dallas on Nov. 22, 1963. The Warren Commission concluded Lee Harvey Oswald was the sole assassin, but claims of more extensive plots continue to fascinate the public.

"I'm puzzled, bewildered, that a distinguished enterprise like the History Channel would put on the air such garbage, such ugliness," Valenti said in an interview. "It makes one sick."

Another former LBJ aide, journalist Bill Moyers, hadn't seen the program but called its premise "absurd." Liz Carpenter, who was press secretary to Lady Bird Johnson, called the program "outrageous."

Attorneys were being consulted but it was unknown if any legal action could be taken, Tom Johnson said.

The documentary was "exceptionally upsetting" to Johnson's widow, who recently suffered a stroke, and daughters Luci and Lynda, Tom Johnson said. President Johnson died in 1973.

The family did not try to block the program's broadcast as in the case of organized Republican efforts against CBS' "The Reagans," Tom Johnson said. The Reagan drama was shifted to cable channel Showtime and is showing Nov. 30.

"We left the decision on editorial content and accuracy up to the History Channel," Tom Johnson said.

todpod

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2001
I didn't see monday's show but I was watching more on the subject on tuesday on the History Channel. They do seem to be taking great liberties with the subject and providing little evidence. Even the title concludes that there was a conspiracy "the Men who Killed Kennedy".

I personally think while there was a possiblitiy of a conspiracy, your never gong to know for sure, It never was as big as the shows claim, too many people would have to be involved, and people just can't keep there mouth shut that long.

If the History Channel wanted to do right, they would have had Historians examine the evidence rather then showing the conspiracy theroists who provided only spectulation.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I watched about 45 minutes worth of the documentary last night. To me, some of the allegations contained therein were NOT "meticulously researched", but rather irresponsibly compiled heresy from suspect sources. One allegation especially, the so-called "French Connection", bordered on absurdity. Additionally, IMO, this particular documentary is not a well-produced piece.

beyoku

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
it was not a well produced and argued documentary. I think i was done that way on purpose. Sort of disinformation. There is LOADS of information that they could have put in the documentary. The magic bullet theory is rediculous - i turned it off when i say where it was headed.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I think it's impossible to ignore the presence of a conspiracy. While the special's methods weren't up to par with other investigative reports, I'm not going to let an over-zealous approach by the producers fool me into thinking Johnson had nothing to do with it. The magic-bullet theory IS ridiculous.

I think Kennedy suffered the same fate as Yitzhak Rabin. It's dangerous to work towards peace when all your compatriots want a war.

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
It's well known that conservatives like to whine a lot more.

Hence the popularity of conservative talk radio.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I haven't seen any of these documentaries, but I gotta say: Why don't they just release the JFK assasination investigation papers already? As long as the evidence is locked away there will be many "plausible" theories.

todpod

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2001
On the discovery channel last night they had an Unsovled History special about JFK, it was quite interesting and does show that Oswald could have acted alone.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
On the discovery channel last night they had an Unsovled History special about JFK, it was quite interesting and does show that Oswald could have acted alone

Yeah, I watched that too. They brought up many valid points, but left out even more info than the Discovery piece. Overall I was unimpressed, particulary with the commentary given by their 'sharpshooter.'