Luxury System Build $2-3k for Gaming/Scientific Computing/Simulations

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TheChuckster, Dec 7, 2012.

1. TheChuckster

TheChuckster Junior Member

Any suggestions???

$180 COOLER MASTER HAF X Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225

$429.99 ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131802

$569.99 Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116492

$349.99 CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233384

$185.99 ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132010

$89.99 Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 140mm and 120mm SSO CPU Cooler
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608024

I should preface this by saying I'm doing less gaming and more programming today than I was while I was in college so I'm planning on keeping my Geforce GTX 560 and waiting until the next generation of cards arrive from Nvidia (7-series?). I'm really in favor of having an LGA 2011 socket because the upcoming Ivy Bridge-E CPUs will support it (looking to upgrade to hex-core Ivy Bridge when it comes out). I'm pretty set on having a six-core CPU since I do scientific computing projects that are highly multi-threaded involving heavy-duty linear algebra and the like as a professional electrical and aerospace engineer.

The motherboard and RAM might be overkill (call me out if they are)!!!

The high-end sound card is definitely not overkill though since I am a headphone/music addict. The Cirrus Logic DAC on that sound card, along with an actual impedance-matched headphone amplifier, swappable opamp chip socket, and EMI shielding make it THAT much better for me than integrated or any brand-name **** from Creative.

PROBLEM: I can't seem to find the perfect case. The HAF X is pretty good -- everyone speaks highly of it -- except the front panel is made out of plastic and it is not so silent. I do like its large cooling fans though (> 200 mm). I'm really looking for a quiet aluminum full-tower case with USB 3.0 front panel. A built-in SSD mount would be nice as well. If you have any suggestions for something that would better fit these criteria, please let me know.

You might notice a missing optical drive, hard drive, and SSD. I already have these items from my old build, and so I am recycling them. I don't care for Bluray (shiver me timbers! ). I also have a 750W Corsair power supply (made by Seasonic) that I plan on using. Let me know if this is not adequate power for what I'm doing.

NOTE: I plan on OC'ing the CPU to 4.5 GHz on air cooling -- notice the Noctua fan. Is there a better air cooler out there? I don't plan on going to water.

#1 TheChuckster, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  2. Loading...