Lucid Hydra 100

TantrumusMaximus

Dec 27, 2004
When Anandtech posted the article covering the future Lucid Hydra 100 chip I about wet my pants with excitement. The promise of linear scaling and testing that backed it up just rocked my socks.

I'm just suprised that since that article and the other articles I've found from other sites that all are around the same date 8/08.... where the heck and what the F is going on with this?

I would have expected way more excitement in the gaming community over this possibility.

When I go to www.lucidlogix.com I was fairly disappointed with no new updates etc. Has anyone else heard anything recent regarding this chip?

I seriously hope this chip becomes a reality if reports on the testing is indeed "true."

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: TantrumusMaximus
I seriously hope this chip becomes a reality if reports on the testing is indeed "true."

And that about sums it up.

If this does become a reality, & when we actually have it in our hands & it's working, then myself & many others will get very excited.

I don't get too excited over ifs...there are far too many ifs out there that never see fruition.

SSChevy2001

Jul 9, 2008
There's not going to be much talk about it until Q1 09 when it's supposed to be released to the consumer market.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
1) It's 90% likely that it's vaporware that will never be released out put by a previously unknown company looking to either be acquired or receive a infusion of VC cash.

2) It's going to have some cost associated to it, which will likely end up making it more expensive than just getting an SLI or Crossfire platform due to lower volume. We will already have high-end platforms in the next 6 months that can do both(i7 on X58). People who buy low-end systems aren't going to drop the cash for multi-gpu regardless of how well it scales, so that's a non-starter.

3) I have some major doubts that their vendor/GPU independent architecture will actually work in most games without them doing all the same workarounds and tweaks that AMD and Nvidia have to to do with their drivers.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
I hear - Intel purchased rights, and has ownership of parts of lucidlogix. Probably won't see it until intel plays the card

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004
Originally posted by: jaredpace
I hear - Intel purchased rights, and has ownership of parts of lucidlogix. Probably won't see it until intel plays the card

So does this mean...Larabee?

udneekgnim

Jun 27, 2008
I consider it vaporware until its available for the consumer or if sites are putting out legitimate hands on reviews

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Vaporware, we know this story guys....when you have a great exciting product you DON'T try and hide it from the world.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
Vaporware, we know this story guys....when you have a great exciting product you DON'T try and hide it from the world.

Hardly hiding it, it's debut was at Intels IDF, plenty of coverage there. It is more of a wait and see at the moment, I'm not going to get excited about something that is a definite maybe.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: jaredpace

I am baffled by that one... Intels larabee, by way of it's design, does not NEED the hydra for (near) perfect scaling, and will NOT benefit from it at all.
This seems to be more of intel covering all bases. If AMD or nVidia had the tech they could CRUSH larabee, if intel owns it they could either keep it out of anyones hands. Or they can license it to nvidia and AMD to keep them competitive with intel should larabee be very successful, this would have two benefits for intel:
1. They get paid for each sale by their competitors
2. They help determine the price of their competitors products.
3. They get to keep competitors in the market at a position of their choosing, getting rid of pesky anti monopoly law enforcement agencies.

This is of course assuming it is not vaporware.

TantrumusMaximus

Dec 27, 2004
I'm also a bit confused in the intel investment into the technology with the whole Larabee thing.

All the hype around Lucid also came along during the whole nVidia vs. Intel propaganda that was really heavily floating on the web at the time. I wonder if Intel just made a forceful move to make nVidia scared and basically work on a motherboard platform where Crossfire and SLI could co-exist....

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
and basically work on a motherboard platform where Crossfire and SLI could co-exist....
There is nothing to work on, they use the same PCI 16x connection, and the same PCIe-PCIe interface, the only thing you need is either bios/driver support.

It was an artificial limitation, an intentional incompatibility that I think cost both companies.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Originally posted by: TantrumusMaximus
I'm also a bit confused in the intel investment into the technology with the whole Larabee thing.

All the hype around Lucid also came along during the whole nVidia vs. Intel propaganda that was really heavily floating on the web at the time. I wonder if Intel just made a forceful move to make nVidia scared and basically work on a motherboard platform where Crossfire and SLI could co-exist....

Would ya like to place a bet on that. Name that stakes I cover it. :D:thumbsup: