LucasArts is dead--sent to the farm by Star Wars' new stepparent

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
For all those wishing for disney to sell/share the IP and let someone else make games, I highly doubt that will happen. Disney is INSANELY protective over its IP rights to characters and games. What is worse is that if there isn't a film coming out, don't expect to see anything related to that IP in development.

Disney is in the business of making money, not making games. It's easier to do what they've been doing for years with movies (make movie, release game for movie at same time) than it is to risk selling out the IP they just inherited. If we see something come of this, it will be YEARS from now. Like, 5-7 years.

Or one day. Yeah, it's not from Disney directly, but still: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/...jedi-outcast-and-jedi-academy-go-open-source/

Rinaun

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2005
Unless some executive knows how powerful/well-liked the existing games are, wherever the IPs gets handed off will undoubtedly have a different direction than the original games from LA. I'm not saying you won't see Star Wars games, but I can bet you are probably not going to like what they will turn your favorite games into IF they for some rare reason decide to go the sequel route and not just wipe the slate clean.

Or one day. Yeah, it's not from Disney directly, but still

"But still" what? I'm not sure what you are trying to show me here. In the past Disney has regarded their characters highly, and since they just purchased Star Wars I don't see them shelling out rights to the IP anymore than they sell out Mickey to be in games (hint:rarely). The only time in the past that you saw Disney doing right in the gaming division was their works with Square. They didn't even have full control IIRC. The bottom line is disney won't just turn around and start licensing the titles they just purchased unless they KNOW they will achieve a profit on the game.

Fun Fact: Disney won't even let their park janitors draw Mickey or any of the characters for the public until they've been trained. Disney is pretty anal on the characters and how they appear. I mean, it makes sense; they ARE over half the actual business. Just because star wars wasn't created at Disney does not mean they won't treat it like a Disney IP.

Last edited:

georgec84

May 9, 2011
Don't worry, guys. Disney will provide us plenty of social and mobile games to fill the void. ;)

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Just finished playing Monkey Island 1 and Full Throttle again. Damn, I forgot how great these games were.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
all of those crying about what this will mean for more LA type games, may want to closely look at a list of LA titles to see what they actually did and did not produce.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Unless some executive knows how powerful/well-liked the existing games are, wherever the IPs gets handed off will undoubtedly have a different direction than the original games from LA. I'm not saying you won't see Star Wars games, but I can bet you are probably not going to like what they will turn your favorite games into IF they for some rare reason decide to go the sequel route and not just wipe the slate clean.

"But still" what? I'm not sure what you are trying to show me here. In the past Disney has regarded their characters highly, and since they just purchased Star Wars I don't see them shelling out rights to the IP anymore than they sell out Mickey to be in games (hint:rarely). The only time in the past that you saw Disney doing right in the gaming division was their works with Square. They didn't even have full control IIRC. The bottom line is disney won't just turn around and start licensing the titles they just purchased unless they KNOW they will achieve a profit on the game.

Fun Fact: Disney won't even let their park janitors draw Mickey or any of the characters for the public until they've been trained. Disney is pretty anal on the characters and how they appear. I mean, it makes sense; they ARE over half the actual business. Just because star wars wasn't created at Disney does not mean they won't treat it like a Disney IP.

er... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Mickey

I assume disney will publish the video games after developer creates it, not unlike they did with epic mickey...

Given that licensure will net them near 100% margins and that there is a long history of star wars gaming, I'm unsure why disney would be against making new games. Star Wars lends itself to gaming far more than disney's traditional characters.

Rinaun

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2005
er... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Mickey

I assume disney will publish the video games after developer creates it, not unlike they did with epic mickey...

Given that licensure will net them near 100% margins and that there is a long history of star wars gaming, I'm unsure why disney would be against making new games. Star Wars lends itself to gaming far more than disney's traditional characters.

That is actually a good point; I notice in Epic Mickey and Epic Mickey 2 that Disney has an ACTUAL studio now. In the past they really haven't had a studio, so I'm going to assume that Disney Interactive Studios is just a publisher. It makes sense, because Disney would have final control over the products released, making sure t heir IP isn't used wrong. I've never played Epic Mickey, but doesn't it focus on the older Mickey, oswald? It's also published by Disney's own publishing studio.

from wiki:

In 2007, The Walt Disney Company renamed Buena Vista Games to Disney Interactive Studios.[9] The studio publishes both Disney and non-Disney branded video games for all platforms worldwide, with titles that feature its consumer brands including Disney, ABC, ESPN, Touchstone (which is used as a label for Disney Interactive), and Disney/Pixar. The studio has selectively licensed Disney intellectual property to other video game publishers such as Activision and THQ.

So essentially DIS(Disney Interactive Studios) gives the go-ahead for a company to use Disneys IP, with DIS able to make changes or make sure it stays on theme. Once again I never said you would never see a star wars game, but that ANY game lucasarts made will no longer be anywhere remotely similar to what was once produced.

Last edited:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
And as I said, you should look at what LA has actually made in house with release dates before thinking that is a point of value.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Thought this was a good read:

Why are We Still Talking about LucasArts' Old Adventure Games?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/189899/why_are_we_still_talking_about_.php

That was quite good. It is too bad The Cave isn't a very good adventure game. At least TellTale makes very good adventure games now, even if the console based control scheme is subpar.

I have never played Day of the Tentacle, but this makes me want to try it. I have played most of their other games, other than Full Throttle though. My daughter really likes all of the Monkey Island games, including the Telltales series which was also excellent.