LTTP: ME2 question...how important are loyalty missions?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Alright, wtf...
Is the only way to get Zaeed's loyalty is to let the workers burn? I have went through all the variations after watching the bad guy fly away and I can't seem to get his freakin loyalty. If there is no way to get it them f*ck him, I dont even want him on the ship! In fact, if I have a save without him I wont even recruit him.
This is ridiculous.

Compnewbie01

Aug 8, 2005
You can get his loyalty after 'failing' his mission if you have a high enough paragon/renegade score. Although it is easier to just do the mission the way he wants it.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
How much paragon is high enough? I have 4 bars, and only 1 of renegade.

EDIT: Also, I do have a save after I installed the DLC...is this jackass of any use? I roll with two biotics usually, so I dont feel like wasting any more time on him if I dont need to.

Last edited:

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Zaeed actually has the most to say on other people's missions, but if he doesn't fit your combat style, you won't see it.

The game doesn't have absolute paragon/renegade requirements, but keeps track of how many of each you potentially *could* have and tests if you have some fraction of that. The cumulative potential P/R scores don't include the import carryover/bonus points, though, so ME1 characters should have little problem with even the toughest checks (like
Jack/Miranda
).

Did you get far enough on the convo, though? The paragon option should appear on the top left whether or not you're able to select it (greyed out if you can't).

edit -- ah wait, you never did play ME1! When you finish this playthrough you should buy ME1, play that, and play this again... The game is much better with an import character, lots of really well done touches. The non-import Shepard doesn't even get to meet the coolest character in the series!

Last edited:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Zaeed actually has the most to say on other people's missions, but if he doesn't fit your combat style, you won't see it.

The game doesn't have absolute paragon/renegade requirements, but keeps track of how many of each you potentially *could* have and tests if you have some fraction of that. The cumulative potential P/R scores don't include the import carryover/bonus points, though, so ME1 characters should have little problem with even the toughest checks (like
Jack/Miranda
).

Did you get far enough on the convo, though? The paragon option should appear on the top left whether or not you're able to select it (greyed out if you can't).

edit -- ah wait, you never did play ME1! When you finish this playthrough you should buy ME1, play that, and play this again... The game is much better with an import character, lots of really well done touches. The non-import Shepard doesn't even get to meet the coolest character in the series!

Just outta curiosity, who's the coolest character in the series? Spoiler tag it!

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Wrex
, who else?

Oh, is there a different warlord/chief fellow if you don't import? I hate to admit it, but I'm a krogan hater. I just don't care for them. Rarely used Wrex, never used Grunt (except for his loyalty mission)
. I definitely agree, importing a character made ME2 cooler. It was nice to meet random people from ME1, get emails from 'em, and randomly hear galatic news about it.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000

There was an option on the upper left, but it was greyed out. So I'm not sure I follow, my paragon to renegade ratio is like 4:1. Shouldnt that be good enough? Unfortunately I didnt notice the quicktime mouse events had a star or wing for paragon/renegade, so I would always do them up until recently. Those are really the only things that make up my renegade score.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
There was an option on the upper left, but it was greyed out. So I'm not sure I follow, my paragon to renegade ratio is like 4:1. Shouldnt that be good enough? Unfortunately I didnt notice the quicktime mouse events had a star or wing for paragon/renegade, so I would always do them up until recently. Those are really the only things that make up my renegade score.

Try respec'ing to the max paragon/renegade class bonus skill - you can select its last way to give extra 100% paragon / renegade (instead of 75%) and you should be fine. Just respec before Zaeed's loyalty mission.

As for using him, I used him on missions with robots mostly (and Miranda). His concussion shot is nice too. I was actually using Miranda + Thane/Grunt/Jacob/Jack/Zaeed mostly (for their group ammo skill). Mordin was cool too - his Incinerate is insane :D

Underused chars are Garrus, Tali and the last character. Well, Miranda + Garrus were nice for Geth or mechs (double Overload ftw - triple with my own :D).

Forgot about Samara - didn't use her much. She's very powerful though...

Last edited:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Try respec'ing to the max paragon/renegade class bonus skill - you can select its last way to give extra 100% paragon / renegade (instead of 75%) and you should be fine. Just respec before Zaeed's loyalty mission.

I dont mean to sound dense but what does this mean exactly? I leveled up Tech Mastery all the way to Mechanic. You mean respec and do it again? Or is there another skill I should be upgrading?

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
I dont mean to sound dense but what does this mean exactly? I leveled up Tech Mastery all the way to Mechanic. You mean respec and do it again? Or is there another skill I should be upgrading?

If you selected Mechanic as the last option, you already have the maximum Paragon bonus (+100%), I'm afraid. Operative was the 75% one. So yeah, unless you can find some more missions where you're awarded Paragon points, you either need to have the mission finish in Zaeed's way or just not have him loyal :)

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I was looking for element zero and found a post which said I could
finish the campaign, then do the Zaeed mission. I can then chose to let him die on the planet.
I think I will do that! I see no use for him other than to have him show up in the squad screen as loyal.

EDIT: Also, I thought Mechanic said final bonus of 75%, which is why I was confused. Other sites seemed to say 100% bonus as well. Is the 100% with ME1 import or new game+?

Last edited:

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
I was looking for element zero and found a post which said I could
finish the campaign, then do the Zaeed mission. I can then chose to let him die on the planet.
I think I will do that! I see no use for him other than to have him show up in the squad screen as loyal.

EDIT: Also, I thought Mechanic said final bonus of 75%, which is why I was confused. Other sites seemed to say 100% bonus as well. Is the 100% with ME1 import or new game+?

You can check it anytime. Just go to your character skills screen and select the Mechanic skill. The description will tell you exactly what you selected. You can change that too - just respec and each time you select the last tier, you can select the specialization again.

As for letting Zaeed die, wow! Didn't know that it's possible...

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Heh, I thought I needed credits for the last tech damage upgrade, and after spending hours looking around the galaxy looking for credits I went back and got Zaeed's disloyal ass. I actually got a lot of credits for doing the IFF mission, so I guess I didnt need him after all. I probably could have finished this game twice already with all the backtracking I've been doing!

Last edited:

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
One thing drives me insane about ME2: If I make a new char (say, just to see what an Infiltrator plays like), I'm stuck with ME2's dumb default decisions. Really now... Udina on the Council? Jeez... I don't think so.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
One thing drives me insane about ME2: If I make a new char (say, just to see what an Infiltrator plays like), I'm stuck with ME2's dumb default decisions. Really now... Udina on the Council? Jeez... I don't think so.

I'm pretty sure you get to choose that

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
You get to choose it in an import (because the import file is *before* you make the decision!). The question doesn't come up with a non-import.