Loyalty to Athletic Teams (vs BANDWAGON FANS)

FrontlineWarrior

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2000
So many people rag on LA fans as bandwagoners. I don't deny that there is truth to that statement. What I don't understand is why other "loyal" fans seem to support their local team no matter what, even through bad players, lack of team chemistry, no heart, no effort, and in the case of the minnesota timberwolves, scandals. My understanding is that they support their team no matter what because it's their team, so they should give their unconditional loyalty.

What I don't understand is why? Isn't a team just a group of players and a team logo and uniform? What is left when the players change and the uniforms are redesigned?

I support my local teams because they represent my area, AND because they are good, have a commitment to excellence, shows teamwork, etc. I didn't support teams like the Clippers because their entire organization was the epitome of chaos, cheapness, lack of vision, and lack of commitment to excellence. Wasn't I justified in my lack of support of such a mess of an organization? Am I a bandwagoner if I like that now they have a commitment to improve by keeping their talented youth?

Am I a bandwagoner because I didn't support a team that yelled "CANCUN CANCUN" during a huddle instead of devising strategies for winning the game?

rangeLife

Apr 25, 2001
its how fans get personally involved in a sport. when a person is exposed to a particular team over others, they feel more closely associated, and hence the outcome of that team becomes important to the person.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Or it could be they are the only team in town ex: Sacramento Kings. I am a loyal Kings fan, always have been always will be.....

And really there is nothing wrong with that! really...

:eek:

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
i really don't get sports team loyalty as well. the teams are not loyal to the fans (look at how many teams move or threaten to move). the players are rarely loyal to the fans (trading to whoever will pay them the most for the most part; there are a couple exceptions of course). prices for tickets aren't reduced when they lose, so there is no motivation to win except for themselves, endorsements, etc. the only motivation fanwise to win comes from those who aren't loyal and will only go see a winning team. it really is a totally one-sided relationship between loyal fans and sports teams.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
I've been a Lakers fan since I was little and I hate when people call me a bandwagon jumper because I'm a fan. I live less than 90 miles away from Sacramento, but I feel in no obligated to root for them at all, especially against the Lakers. :p

I've also been a Magic fan for a while also, ever since Shaq started there and hope they have a great season next year with the return of Grant Hill.

For football, it's always been the Raiders and 49ers.

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
<-- sharks fan since 1993.

no kidding the owners/management aren't always loyal to the team.

but there are always a few players that are willing to stick with their team no matter what.

some people will just be devoted no matter what. sometimes its just a great thing to have a team nearby. not all teams will ALWAYS dominate. everyone goes through rebuilding every now and then. you weather the bad times and enjoy the good.

oldandquitemad

Jun 15, 2000
Oakland Raider fan in good standing since 1967.

hmmmmmmmm. That's 34 years. There's been the very best of times, there have been years when we sucked very, very badly. Last year was a wonderful and unexpected surprise.

If you aren't a long term fan of a team, you will never have a year like a Raider fan had last year.

I'm reminded of a twit's take on athletics: I'm for whoever wins.

What a spaz.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I've been a Laker fan my entire life too(I'm 25), and I live in the..Bay Area. I became a Laker fan because my dad is orginally from LA, so he was a Laker fan, so I just grew up liking the same team as my dad. Now I'm actually a much bigger fan than he is. :) I'm definetly no bandwargoner.

BTW DiRF, it wasn't the enire team that was yelling &quot;Cancun, Cancun&quot; it was just Nick Van Exel. (or so the rumor goes that Nick said it, no one actually proved Nick said it, some people said he did).

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
Raiders were quite awesome when they had Ken Stabler and George Blanda - I'm a Jets fan and will never forget the &quot;Heidi&quot; game! :(