Lowest end CD/stereo for Car.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
ok, i drive a '91 sable, still in good condition (thought whether or not all cylinders are firing is questionable, acceleration is a little shaky, and fuiel economy is way up . .) except for the tachometer which points every which way, moves around alot, and usually points into the black space that has no numbers, and the tape/radio.

I can live with the tachometer (its an automatic, wtf do i need a tachometer for?) but the tape/radio is another thing. right, see, i hear its in all Fords, that as they age, some of the tape players go bad . . . . as happened with mine. My tape player started playing real queit, so i'd jack the dial to full, and get a quiet but audible playback . . . . some of the time. Radio worked fine. . . . but the radio sucks, tapes are cool cause i choose my own playlist, right. So im driving to school today, enjoying me some phish, studiously ignoring the check engine light . . . . . . when my sound dies. so i say 'damn' and wait for it to come back, usually a coupla minutes . . . well, nothing. Then i switch to radio . . . and nothing. thats when i know its bad . . or worse than it was. Coming home . . . it works for maybe 15 seconds before dying again . . . . the unit has power and i can hear the tape spinning or see the station displayed on the screen . . .. . but no noise. naturally, the point of a car stereo is to have noise.

So im in the market for a new one. Im in the low end market, i just want a CD/Radio to replace my Tape/radio with . . . . . and to be safe im looking for one out of a sable of similar year. By 'low end' i mean like 20 bucks from Joe's chop shop . . . . .

Now, it may strike you as odd that someone would leave a stereo in a car going to the junkyard, but ive been there . . . they have an entire wall dedicated to car stereos . . . .

errmm, it prolly is odd, but following my gut, i'd say that none of those stereo's were left in cars after they were totaled . . . . I got a new set of wheels there (our current ones weere leaking real bad) and they advirtised them as 'not having been in a wreck' which, i think sounds fishy, mebbe 'we left the car that previously had these wheels on cinder blocks in North Saint Louis' . . . . . i don't really care about all this moral stuff, so it doesn't bother me that im likely buying stolen property . . . actually, it doesn't bother me cause im prolly NOT buying stolen stuff, just something that makes me sound cool and 'badass' . . . the guy wouldn'ta said that iffen they were stolen.

SOOOOOOooooo . . .. . . my real question . . . any issues that could make it possibly NOT be the tape/stereo thats bad, and will another brand (if i can't find one in a sable) plug into all my other early '90s stuff like the amp and stuff? I really do love my music, and is 20 bucks a reasonable amount of money to expect to pay for a 10 year old car CD thingy, or am i deceaving myself and should expect higher? im calling the place this weekend . . .

OOO, another thing, will I be able to put it in . . . i have built a computer myself, and it looks like mine comes out easy, there are 4 screw holes on the front of it . . . . . but will i need a special faceplate or should i leave it to pros or what? this is why im hoping to find one out of a similar year sable (i know they made em then, the manual has instructions for it). Thoughts? Ideas? Should i just steal one (kidding)? bleargh . . mebbe 40 bucks is as high as im willing to go, my car gets me where im going, albeit with a slight burning smell and a nasty yellow check engine light . .. but the burning smell comes only with the defroster . . . so it can't be that serious, soon, mebbe, itll make music as well.

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
What's a tape player?

Lowest end stereos: Sony and Pioneer ;)

That was a long post.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
i mean, lowest end, as in, what can i rely on from the junkyard's selection?

[edit] my car may not be much . . . but it looks good (ignoring hail damage) as its sexy black, has cool light up thingy where the grill would be, and has a nice large back seat, oh yes indeed.

heh, your car may beat mine in a race, but mine would win in a head on collision!

(i beat theres another 50k miles in that thing, ive been exaggerating the woes (a little . . . the burning smell was located . . something on hte heating component) the engine light is a routine thingy they installed so mechanics can still make money off the care after the owner has stopped careing. yea, its got another 5 years in it easy.

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Maybe a wire is loose in the back - but the amplifier inside the radio may just be dying as well, hard to say.

I doubt you're going to be able to pick up a $20 CD player anywhere, especially one that just plugs right into your current wiring harness. Some wiring harnesses (OEM to aftermarket) are $20 or more by themselves - yours should be $12-16 at Best Buy/Circuit City.

Try hanging out downtown in bad areas and maybe you'll be able to score a sweet deal.