• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Lowest-cost but newest upgrade advice, for someone currently rocking an FM1 quad-core APU and Win7 64-bit?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
This should be a hoot.

I gave a friend of mine free parts to build a PC for his GF, nearly maybe 4-5 years ago. He did a great job, I was instructing him through the build. It's an FM1 rig, that originally had a $9 dual-core FM1 APU (new surplus FM1 gear on ebay) and a $27 ECS mobo, I tossed in 2x4GB DDR3 and a 128GB SSD as part of the package, so that the system would have some decent responsiveness for web-browsing.

Well, the friend hit some performance issues with that PC, so I had gone out and bought a quad-core FM1 APU, and I installed that for a small fee, and upgrading the cooling (some cheap AMD tower cooler).

But now, the system is having "issues", and I suspect the PSU.

But given the PC's age now, and lack of performance overall, and the fact that it has Win7 on it, I was basically telling said friend that he should spend money on a new PC, not fix the old one. (I suspect the PSU could be going, but it could be the mobo too. And then it will need an upgrade to Win10 to bring it up to speed. All of those cost $$$.)

I recently picked up a number of HP Slim Desktop PCs, with Celeron G5900 (10th-Gen!) CPUs, dual-core, 3.4Ghz, 4GB DDR4, 1TB HDD, AC wifi / BT, card reader, USB, etc. for roughly $200-230.

I was in the process of souping them up, they take an NVMe drive, more RAM, GT 1030, etc. With a 500GB WD Black SN750, an extra 16GB stick of DDR4 (to make 20GB), and a GT 1030, my cost was around $500-520 on the PC, starting with New and adding New parts.

The friend told me that was a little too much, their budget was around $400 between the both of them.

So I basically offered them the current project with the WD Black and the 20GB of DDR4, without adding the GT 1030 (no gaming, besides some 2D gaming, desktop games, basically), just web browsing and video watching, for nearly $400 delivered.

Are there any other decent options, for building a NEW PC, either custom or pre-built, for $400 that would give better quality-of-life, for web browsing / video-watching? Must have 16GB+ of RAM, and an SSD for OS (any reasonable size). Must be NEW, not refurb or used.

Are there options that I missed out on?

(Now that I think about it, there may have been some AMD 3150U slim desktops with an SSD for $350 from Lenovo during their last President's day sale.)

Edit: But those rigs are basically low-powered laptop systems in a desktop slim chassis, and they have their own issues.

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator and Elite Member
Aug 22, 2001
Those Celerons are hot garbage

They max out doing almost nothing in win 10, never mind the gaming results. I would not include a discreet GPU since it's a waste of time; let the UHD 610 handle video playback. I cannot see how they are going to have a good experience with that CPU, but I hope you prove me wrong. And they will age like milk. Too bad you are not near a microcenter, someone mentioned they had the 10100 for 69.99 or some ridiculously great price the other day. Now it is $100. I guess you can upgrade them when you can get one cheap.

EDIT: If you have the Pentium to throw in there, you are golden.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, I had like three of the G4900 Celeron Slim Desktop PCs, and I ordered three G6400 Pentium 2C/4T, as well as two GT 1030 LP GDDR5 cards to go with.

I dropped off one of them today, we'll see if they find them acceptable. I'm giving them a 7-day free trial.

Curious that ToastyBros had such issues with that celeron and their GTX 1050 ti 4GB, when Bryan from TechYesCity had so much more success with an 8GB RX 570.

I really almost wonder if ToastyBros had WindowsUpdate doing things in the background. If it's a new build, you really need to go through all of the updates and then swait like an hour before you try to actually USE the rig.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator and Elite Member
Aug 22, 2001
Well, I had like three of the G4900 Celeron Slim Desktop PCs, and I ordered three G6400 Pentium 2C/4T, as well as two GT 1030 LP GDDR5 cards to go with.

I dropped off one of them today, we'll see if they find them acceptable. I'm giving them a 7-day free trial.

Curious that ToastyBros had such issues with that celeron and their GTX 1050 ti 4GB, when Bryan from TechYesCity had so much more success with an 8GB RX 570.

I really almost wonder if ToastyBros had WindowsUpdate doing things in the background. If it's a new build, you really need to go through all of the updates and then swait like an hour before you try to actually USE the rig.
Bryan did mention that capturing gameplay caused issues not present otherwise. That may be the difference there. But anytime something happens,10 does background stuff, av scan, that dual core is going to get hammered. I suspect there will be day to day quality of life issues with it. Too bad you could not use a lightweight linux distro, they'd be more useable.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Bryan did mention that capturing gameplay caused issues not present otherwise. That may be the difference there. But anytime something happens,10 does background stuff, av scan, that dual core is going to get hammered. I suspect there will be day to day quality of life issues with it. Too bad you could not use a lightweight linux distro, they'd be more useable.
Even newer dual cores w/o HT are absolutely hammered by Windows maintenance. I wouldn't go below quad core anymore.

It's gotten to the point my 2017 Atom-powered N3350 laptop is effectively unusable with post v2004 Windows 10. Even a simple patch Tuesday update take hours, during which you can't use it at all. Thankfully, Linux Mint/Ubuntu is well supported on it. So Windows got ditched.

Oddly enough, I've not encountered this on my Athlon 200GE/240GE systems, but they do have NVMe drives. Wonder if that has anything to do with it?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS