Lowes Iris home security system?

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
i dont own it. but looking at the reviews on Lowes, its not that great. waiting for the upcoming Samsung high resolution cams...

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
One of my friends has something like this, maybe even this exact thing. I'll ask him about it.
I tend to "roll my own" using linux and I am sure there are more powerful alternatives to this.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
almond + 79 on amazon today!

I need to retrofit an older system in my house and have considered something like simplisafe. Im still looking for the perfect solution as well. Integrating cameras would be a plus.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I'm a bit busy for the next two weeks but after that, I plan on building a new server. I'll look at all the alternatives. I already do the cameras with zoneminder, and there are packages out there to integrate other devices.
http://www.aboutdebian.com/x10.htm
X10 parts are inexpensive and use PL tech to communicate. I have a gate on my property that is far enough away to stretch wifi, but I get PL signals out there easily. This would let me turn on lighting, operate the gate reliably, etc.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
I went through this a couple of months ago and for the money simplisafe seems the way to go. If you want more home automation options something like the GE Simon XTI would be the ticket.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
I have been looking for an alarm system and checked out Vivint. Monthly costs aren't cheap and they lock you into a long-term contract which isn't ideal. The contract has severe "out" penalties.

Simplisafe looks OK but doesn't work with z-wave and seems a bit to "easy".

I am going to check out Frontpoint but I wish they had an Xti package.

My new house has Nexia for a year and I want to use that, then switch to a Vera, running Z-wave security through whatever system I have with additional monitoring through Vera rather than getting charged 8-20/mo for z-wave HA.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
I have been looking for an alarm system and checked out Vivint. Monthly costs aren't cheap and they lock you into a long-term contract which isn't ideal. The contract has severe "out" penalties.

Simplisafe looks OK but doesn't work with z-wave and seems a bit to "easy".

I am going to check out Frontpoint but I wish they had an Xti package.

My new house has Nexia for a year and I want to use that, then switch to a Vera, running Z-wave security through whatever system I have with additional monitoring through Vera rather than getting charged 8-20/mo for z-wave HA.

A buddy of mine had Vivint. They are very good but as mentioned not cheap plus the long contract. It is quality though, just to rick for my blood.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Oh all the a la carte stuff! I could see this getting very expensive, but I like it.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
While researching the Almond+ I noticed their FAQ mentions Lowes Iris.

Has anyone heard of Lowes Iris, what's the verdict?

I looked into an iris set up a while back, but decided not to pull the trigger.

Seems to me that all the home automation/security/smart home type stuff is really getting ready to explode, but it's still in its infancy. No one technology or set of products has yet emerged as a standard, so if you buy now you're buying into something that might not be viable for very long.

I'm going to wait 6 months to a year to see what shakes out and what direction the market seems to go.

<edit> The original almond isn't very interesting (I don't really care if my router has a touch screen interface or a web interface), but the almond+ is definitely something I'll keep my eye on. It would make for a nice range extender on your wireless, as well as allowing you to control the z-wave and zigbee devices. Seems nifty.

Last edited:

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
I cannot find anything on integration with Nest. I have a 1.0 so no Zigbee so I may be out of luck there.

Jaepheth

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2006
I was hoping to be able to buy some of these for my doors and windows:

20111213180228!Iris.jpg

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
The Iris uses a bunch of zwave gear, but its a monthly service charge based system (at least if you want the cool stuff) Get a Veralite instead. It is zwave native (and can use many iris device as well as nexia, LiNK, and other zwave based devices. It also had a module to talk to x10 and insteon devices. No monthly fees either, plus a pretty good forum.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
The Iris uses a bunch of zwave gear, but its a monthly service charge based system (at least if you want the cool stuff) Get a Veralite instead. It is zwave native (and can use many iris device as well as nexia, LiNK, and other zwave based devices. It also had a module to talk to x10 and insteon devices. No monthly fees either, plus a pretty good forum.

Yeah no thanks to monthly fees.

Have you heard of Insteon?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I've been thinking it would be cool to setup video surveillance, though I'd want a system that I can add on as needed, records for as much as I can throw network disk space at it, and works in Linux. Not much out there that would do all that. I've played with Zoneminder and it's kinda meh, does not work very well I found. Also cameras that can actually be used outdoors are far and few between. Most of the "outdoor" cameras are only rated at -15 degrees. I also question if adding cameras actually makes it more likely to be broken into too, as it shows that you may have something worth protecting.

Though it would be kind of cool to build a rover I can control from the internet, so I could check around the house remotely, and tease the cat. :biggrin:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Haha that's really cool. Totally something like that I was thinking, though with a cheaper camera. :p I'm thinking arduino + raspberry pi with wifi dongle, and probably a PTZ camera. I'd probably have to invest in a 3D printer if I want to start making robots though. Not a cheap hobby but would be fun.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Haha that's really cool. Totally something like that I was thinking, though with a cheaper camera. :p I'm thinking arduino + raspberry pi with wifi dongle, and probably a PTZ camera. I'd probably have to invest in a 3D printer if I want to start making robots though. Not a cheap hobby but would be fun.

You mean like this? Watch the video I'm seriously considering getting a few.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
I actually just had Xfinity Home installed. Works good so far, only major concern is if Comcast employees can spy on my home cameras that I added on.