Lower Your Gas Cost

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
link

This video was produced by Petro-Canada, the largest oil company in Canada; representing 1/10th the size of exxon mobil. The making of this video was highly controversial, but has some good advice for consumers.

What do you think of oil companies using this sort of outlet to get their point across?

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Some good tips I suppose, but with the frequency people buy new cars, I'd say the biggest piece of advice was left out...think about how much car you REALLY need before buying that F-150.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
WTF is a 'kilometer an hour'???!! Everyone should just speak and measure in American.

Seriously, I found that to be a worthless video. It said to 'adjust your driving style'. What does that mean? Pretty much everything said in there everyone already knows but just chooses to ignore.

zendari

Banned
May 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Some good tips I suppose, but with the frequency people buy new cars, I'd say the biggest piece of advice was left out...think about how much car you REALLY need before buying that F-150.

You mean common sense?

It's really kind of Big Oil to play the Big Brother role at the possible loss of their own profits.

catnap1972

Platinum Member
Aug 10, 2000
Originally posted by: zendari

You mean common sense?

It's really kind of Big Oil to play the Big Brother role at the possible loss of their own profits.

Please tell us you're not this stupid?

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
They could have told us how to save money by siphoning of something. Everyone knows you can save gas by driving slow, but who has time for that.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: XZeroII
WTF is a 'kilometer an hour'???!! Everyone should just speak and measure in American.

Seriously, I found that to be a worthless video. It said to 'adjust your driving style'. What does that mean? Pretty much everything said in there everyone already knows but just chooses to ignore.

Metric makes sense. American is based on archaic means of measuring things, and is simply difficult to remember. We don't know it well because we didn't learn it growing up. We had to remember 32F and 212F for important temps of water, not 0C and 100C. We had to know 12in/foot, 3ft/yard, and 5280 feet in a mile, not 10mm/cm, 100cm/m, and 1000m/km. Simple base 10 progression vs completely abstract numbers.

Anyway, I do agree that the video is kind of useless. It's things that everyone's been told hundreds of times already, and can be summed up as:
Don't drive aggressively
Maintain your car

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

You mean common sense?
Apparently not all that common...

Public image has a lot of value, actually. I'm sure this is as much of a cold-blooded, calculated decision as any that comes out of oil company boardrooms. People are pissed about high gas prices, all the more so because oil companies are posting record profits through the whole thing. So spend a few bucks and make people think you are on their side and maybe dodge the possibility of people getting the government to stick it to the oil companies. Hell, if I was in charge, I'd do it even if I wanted to use oil to suck every penny from everyone I could. It's smart business...

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

kilometer per hour is what 5700 million people use.
miles per hour is what 300 million people use. We're outnumbered 19 to 1. Not only do they have a significant majority, but they're also the ones using the system that makes sense.

JinLien

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2005
Originally posted by: DrPizza

kilometer per hour is what 5700 million people use.
miles per hour is what 300 million people use. We're outnumbered 19 to 1. Not only do they have a significant majority, but they're also the ones using the system that makes sense.
Metric is base 10 therefore it is much easier to work with and is more accurate because it doesn't require rounding as imperial fractions. (try working with fractions that have more digits than your calculator)

Kilo = 1000
Hecto = 100
Deca = 10
Metre = 1
Deci = 1/10
Centi = 1/100
Milli = 1/1000
Micro = 1/1000000
Nano = 1/1000000000
Pico = 1/1000000000000
Femto = 1/1000000000000000
Atto = 1/1000000000000000000
Zepto = 1/1000000000000000000000
Yocto = 1/1000000000000000000000000

That said, I'm glad that big oil put out a video to educate people because many people don?t know and require the boob tube to educate them.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

You mean common sense?
Apparently not all that common...

Public image has a lot of value, actually. I'm sure this is as much of a cold-blooded, calculated decision as any that comes out of oil company boardrooms. People are pissed about high gas prices, all the more so because oil companies are posting record profits through the whole thing. So spend a few bucks and make people think you are on their side and maybe dodge the possibility of people getting the government to stick it to the oil companies. Hell, if I was in charge, I'd do it even if I wanted to use oil to suck every penny from everyone I could. It's smart business...

It's more than marketing. Big Oil would like to continue making those profits well into the future as well.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
The problem about these words of advice is the fact that they are in a way very negligible. They for most people I would say make a very small difference. And in any reason will only beneift the fuel companies rather then you. The kind of things that would save gas and cause prices to go down is to fine everybody on the morning commute that is driving a SUV or ford excursion with only one person in the vehicle. Those are the type of things that gets gas prices up....

Horus

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2003
The canadian government also holds a majority share in Petro Canada...what's good for them is good for the country, in this case.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
If it is under a 15 mile round trip, and I'm going alone, I ride my MTB. Amazing how long a tank of gas lasts that way. I'm thinking it is time to get a road bike and revise that trip distance to 40 miles. I also turn up the A/C and combo it with ceiling fans , replaced all appliances with much better energy star ratings over the period of a couple years, got the Mrs. a 30mpg in city A-to-B car, dumped a SUV, rebuilt my PCs with lower power parts, and have reduced significantly the time&power I expended on DC projects *lamentably*.

It isn't primarily about cost savings, it is just that when given the choice/opportunity, I invariably choose to be part of a solution and not exacerbate the problem.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
50CC scooters get 90-100 MPG and they go up to 40MPH. I say lets start using them instead of cars for short trips around town.

Plus they are a blast to ride....

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Originally posted by: ericlp
50CC scooters get 90-100 MPG and they go up to 40MPH. I say lets start using them instead of cars for short trips around town.

Until you get run over by an SUV while trying to sav e $2. :)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Metric system, the thing that is pretty common outside of USA...
It still amazes me USofA is on that messed up hybrid Imperial system. Didn't it cost NASA a pretty penny not long ago? When someone used imperial while NASA is metric?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Horus
The canadian government also holds a majority share in Petro Canada...what's good for them is good for the country, in this case.

Not anymore, in its infinite wisdom, the Canadian government decided to diverge itself from oil business, never mind it was Taxpayer money that started up Petro Canada, under the premise we would not be dictated by oil barons. Still pisses me off.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by: sdifox
Not anymore, in its infinite wisdom, the Canadian government decided to diverge itself from oil business, never mind it was Taxpayer money that started up Petro Canada, under the premise we would not be dictated by oil barons. Still pisses me off.
Most Crown corporations are dogs; we shouldn't have government involvement in any companies.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Stunt
Most Crown corporations are dogs; we shouldn't have government involvement in any companies.

LCBO makes billions, and does a much better job than Brewer's retail at denying sales to drunk and underage patrons (I don't recall buying beer underage, but I've sure bought it hammered).

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by: 3chordcharlie
LCBO makes billions, and does a much better job than Brewer's retail at denying sales to drunk and underage patrons (I don't recall buying beer underage, but I've sure bought it hammered).
I said "Most". Sure if the government imposes a monopoly, you can make tons of money; but that's not fair for the consumer. Government has no business in the sale of consumer goods.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Originally posted by: 3chordcharlie
I said "Most". Sure if the government imposes a monopoly, you can make tons of money; but that's not fair for the consumer. Government has no business in the sale of consumer goods.

Well, Hydro was a monopoly and managed to lose money. In fact, Brewer's retail does not technically have a monopoly, since some of their products are sold at the LCBO.

I fond 5pm closing time on sunday highly inconvenient, but I'm willing to take that over the lax standards of Brewer's retail; and I'm not talking about selling to minors, since the drinking age is highly arbitrary, I'm talking about the willingness to sell to the clearly impaired, who get in their cars and drive home. By comparison though, it is [i[still[.i] despite heavy penalties, ridiculously easy for 15 year olds to buy cigarettes at the local Mac's milk.

Other corporations that should never have been privatized include the 407 disaster.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: ericlp

A bicycle doesn't use gas, and would put these fattys into a better health zone ;)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

It's a dog because of specifically moves like this one. Look, company is making record profit, let's sell off! Seriously... All privitization deals I have seen so far (specially in Ontario) stinks of either incompetence or sometime far more serious

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Sure if the government imposes a monopoly, you can make tons of money; but that's not fair for the consumer.

Government has no business in the sale of consumer goods.

It's not "fair" to the consumer when you have corrupt private companies working together to screw the consumer either which is the case with many of the Industries in the U.S. and the world with this consolidated "Global Economy" crap.

All it means is that the select elite rich at the top get to be incompetent and still rank in even more in profits for themselves.

Revolts are the only way to set it straight.