Lower temps with new BIOS (Asrock X370 Taichi)

Rakanoth

Oct 6, 2017
New BIOS 4.40 lowered my temps quite a bit. For example, under load I got at least 6-7 degrees lower (probably more). I did not measure carefully and cannot compare well as I do not have exact numbers.

Anyone else experiencing this? How is this possible?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Did the act of flashing the BIOS, reset any overclocks that you might have had applied?

I know that on my R5 1600 CPUs, in my ASRock AB350M Pro4 mobos, there was a weird issue, where the CPU temp slowly climbs, like 5-7C, then drops down, then climbs again., etc. Maybe they fixed what was causing that?

Reactions: Rakanoth

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
only things I can think of is slightly adjusted voltages and/or a different CPU cooling profile, otherwise the temperatures should basically be the same.

Rakanoth

Oct 6, 2017
I figured out why I am getting lower temps. It seems they changed the way that the mainboard LED displays the CPU temperature. When I run a program like HWinfo or Real Temp or AIDA64, they all show the same number. The only different number is on the CPU led. It is supposed to show the CPU temp. But it shows the CPU die temperature approximately 10 degrees lower than what it really is. It was not like that before the BIOS update.

Did the act of flashing the BIOS, reset any overclocks that you might have had applied?

I know that on my R5 1600 CPUs, in my ASRock AB350M Pro4 mobos, there was a weird issue, where the CPU temp slowly climbs, like 5-7C, then drops down, then climbs again., etc. Maybe they fixed what was causing that?

I reset the BIOS to the factory defaults before updating the BIOS. But I noted down my previous working settings. And I applied them again after the update.

only things I can think of is slightly adjusted voltages and/or a different CPU cooling profile, otherwise the temperatures should basically be the same.

Yes. That was what I suspected. But it seems they changed the way the mainboard LED displays the CPU temperature.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Yeah, Asrock has been dicking around with temperatures in their BIOS's recently. It's annoying to say the least. I remember noticing it changed the temps on my Taichi. The 4.40 BIOS for my AB350 board I just RMA reported the CPU is at 152c at initial boot and the chipset is at 105c. It's 22c in the room it's in and that was on a cold boot.